A dictionary for the non-English

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Dragonfly

A dictionary for the non-English

Reading and trying to understand the terminology in the FRIC suspension thread I felt the need to better understand all those terms for car behavior relative to the road - roll, heave, squat, warp, etc. Some of them are familiar to me, some are very specific.
So I think it will be very useful to have some kind of technical dictionary here for those of us who are not native English speakers. For example, I ask a question in a dedicated thread and someone makes a description of the term which explanation then finds a place in an easily accessible part of the forum.

P.S. I found this thread http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... f=1&t=5904
but it seems the dictionary is not available. Also I think it's more handy to have on F1T site.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Steven
Owner

Re: A dictionary fro the non-English

You mean this?
http://www.f1technical.net/glossary/

Note that you can add words yourself as well, so if you find anything missing, please do file a suggestion (you can either choose to explain, or otherwise leave the explanation open so that we can look it up and add it for you).

Dragonfly

Re: A dictionary for the non-English

Thanks
shame on me not knowing about this after so much time here :oops:
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

turbof1

It's nice, but kind of hidden away. A function integrated at the forum so that you can quickly look up a word would make it so much more useful.
#AeroFrodo

Tim.Wright

Is it possible to display forum posts so that anytime a word from the glossary is used, you can see the glossary definition in a "tooltip" by mousing over it?

Ive seen this used in other forums for advertising purposes but it would be extremely useful and would also encourage people to correct the contents of the glossary. You know how fast people like to point mistakes on the interwebs!

Sounds like it could be quite a job though.
Not the engineer at Force India

Ganxxta

Tim.Wright wrote:Is it possible to display forum posts so that anytime a word from the glossary is used, you can see the glossary definition in a "tooltip" by mousing over it?

Ive seen this used in other forums for advertising purposes but it would be extremely useful and would also encourage people to correct the contents of the glossary. You know how fast people like to point mistakes on the interwebs!

Sounds like it could be quite a job though.
Yep I would like this idea to, it wouldn't disturb your reading and if you want to get a detailed description you could just hover over a word.

For example like this:

Mouse is hovering over "FISA".

From here.