Could the Monaco F1 track be about to change?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
aleks_ader

Could the Monaco F1 track be about to change?

Joe Saward: »Could the Monaco F1 track be about to change?«

Background:

The government of Prince Albert II, the reigning monarch and head of state, is inviting bids for a new district of luxury apartment blocks, shops and offices to occupy a six-hectare site that currently belongs to the Mediterranean.

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/business/indu ... z2U3mREyUC
Quote Saward

Opportunity for F1?

Joe Saward about potential track change in the future...
Joe Saward wrote:The most exciting thing for the racing fraternity is that the new land could create the possibility of a new section of track, leading from the downhill corner at Portiers to a new section with wide road and a tight hairpin, creating an overtaking spot. The track could then rejoin the original circuit just before the tunnel, thus cutting the speed at which cars go through, so reducing the dangers of the chicane area.
Here is Joe Savard full article, i truly reconmend it is really nice reading:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/f1-2013/ ... out-change

More about that project on video below. I paste it on that part where they show that they definitely have in mind future GP track expansion..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7T8#t=145s

I just play a bit whit this project and made a scheme of potential new sector (Bigger picture KLIK )…

• Calculated Additional lenght: 2023m (+/- 5m)
    Total distance of circuit: 3340 + 2023 = 5363 m
New sector = new decent overtaking chance?

Portirs corner before tunnel are plenty of space for overtaking and also for big run off areas.... Like you could see on this footage…

When?
The Monaco government has set a target of 2024 for work to be complete.

:D

Bv. Fun fact:
With 36,000 inhabitants squeezed onto a land mass just two kilometres square, Monaco is most densely populated country. It is also the smallest, in land size, with the exception of Vatican City
:lol:[/quote]
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

motorloon1993

Re: Could the Monaco F1 track be about to change?

This looks awesome. I can't see how this can't see how this would not be a good idea, Monaco needs more overtaking opportunities.

wesley123

Please no, Monaco is great as it is.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Anon123

Although the track as it is makes for quite dull and frustrating races I don't think it should be changed too much, I can't imagine the drivers liking this idea.

SilverArrow10

Does anyone else get reminded of Singapore when you see the satellite image. I say leave the track how it is. The idea of adding an extension to a country is good idea though, a totally bonkers one but it would be interesting to see.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Lycoming

Monaco is the only constant in F1. I don't think anybody wants it to change. Saying so is just stirring **** up to get more views.

Just_a_fan

Monaco isn't constant - it's been changed as much as any other circuit on the calendar over the years.

Monaco is only on the calendar because of the whole glamour/money thing. As a racing circuit it is pointless. Back in the day it was a challenge but today it's not so much. Proof? Watch in car footage of the 80s / early 90s and then watch today's cars. With power steering and fingertip gear changes it's a much easier track than it was. The corners have been reprofiled to move the barriers back. It's a very different circuit to the one that Senna drove in 1988 for example.

Watch footage from "back in the day" and then come back and say Monaco's still relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6bwZ4ooTI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... TkvYPRgYrY
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

beelsebob

Looks like a great change to me. it could really make the GP worth watching, rather than the current snorefest.

wesley123

Honestly that 'snoozefest' thing is more the cars than a track.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

astracrazy

its in 2024 so not much to think about at the moment. Im sure there will be plenty of changes in f1 before this

Tim.Wright

Just_a_fan wrote:Monaco is only on the calendar because of the whole glamour/money thing. As a racing circuit it is pointless. Back in the day it was a challenge but today it's not so much. Proof? Watch in car footage of the 80s / early 90s and then watch today's cars. With power steering and fingertip gear changes it's a much easier track than it was. The corners have been reprofiled to move the barriers back. It's a very different circuit to the one that Senna drove in 1988 for example.
I'd counter that and say that Monaco is the only remaining track that is really testing the driver's skill and for that there is an attraction that the other circuits don't have. In a time where acres of tarmac runoff are the norm, its the only remaining track where all mistakes are punished. Sure the racing can be boring, but you have to appreciate the skill required to keep the car out of the barriers for an hour and a half.

It might not be the same challenge as it was 20 year's ago but if you honestly think that today's challenge at Monaco is overall "not so much" then you're nuts.
Not the engineer at Force India

SiLo

That's why I like Canada so much, you get punished if you make a mistake!
Felipe Baby!

flyboy2160

After watching the 3D video, I can't believe everybody on the shore inland of that new island isn't going to raise hell about losing their ocean view. Is this really a done deal?

In the meantime, why not add small cantilevered ocean overhang(s) at the chicane and at tabac so that these could, perhaps, be serious overtaking points? Obviously, you'd do a big-time sim before undertaking this.

:D or have them race go-karts instead of the regular cars

the race is a snooze fest now.

NowyszRacing6

Tim.Wright wrote: I'd counter that and say that Monaco is the only remaining track that is really testing the driver's skill and for that there is an attraction that the other circuits don't have. In a time where acres of tarmac runoff are the norm, its the only remaining track where all mistakes are punished. Sure the racing can be boring, but you have to appreciate the skill required to keep the car out of the barriers for an hour and a half.

It might not be the same challenge as it was 20 year's ago but if you honestly think that today's challenge at Monaco is overall "not so much" then you're nuts.
I completely agree, how could anyone be an f1 fan and still think the race is boring? it's not just overtakes that make a race exciting, it's seeing the drivers get around a track as technical and punishing as monaco as fast as they do. Plus, it makes an overtake even more special if you can make it work. Everyone seems so focused on devaluing everything at the expense of serving people with short attention spans...

MOWOG

It's not at all boring when you are actually IN Monaco on a race weekend! :D
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.