Marussia MR02 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Petroltorque

Re: Marussia MR02 Cosworth

I will be interested to know if Marussia simply opt for an engine supply deal only from Ferrari and stick with a bespoke transmission. I think this is the favoured option of Symonds since it's cheaper and has more design flexibility. Buying the rear end off a competitor just does not cut it anymore in a period of tight performance margins.

Chubbs

Petroltorque wrote:I will be interested to know if Marussia simply opt for an engine supply deal only from Ferrari and stick with a bespoke transmission. I think this is the favoured option of Symonds since it's cheaper and has more design flexibility. Buying the rear end off a competitor just does not cut it anymore in a period of tight performance margins.
I agree, they have put the infrastructure in place to do exactly that by working with Xtrac over the past three years so they should be able to manage. Although I think they will take the full package from Ferrari for commercial reasons. I'm not even sure if Ferrari offer an engine only package? Also, unless they have started the design of the transmission already, they will struggle to get it done in time as the differences to this year are significant enough to mean there will be little carry over parts from this year.
Chubbs

Petroltorque

Torro Rosso have a deal for engines only. But as you say the new engine formula may mean the drive trains are integrated.

Huntresa

Petroltorque wrote:Torro Rosso have a deal for engines only. But as you say the new engine formula may mean the drive trains are integrated.
Toro Rosso have a renault deal now so they will be using Red Bull transmission if they havent alrdy with Ferrari.

Blackout

STR uses STR transmissions today, not RBR ; )

Blackout

Is that an old Williams gearbox ? or a bespoke Williams Gbox ?

TzeiTzei

Blackout wrote:Is that an old Williams gearbox ? or a bespoke Williams Gbox ?
I thought Marussia had their own gearbox with xtrac internals?

stefan_

2013 Kemble Airfield Aero Test (18.06.2013)

via @Marussia_F1Team
Last edited by stefan_ on 18 Jun 2013, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

marcush.

a bespoke gearbox and energy recovery systems is well beyond what a small team can handle..Symmond is no dreamer and will have set his mind on purchasing the whole lot from one supply .Nothing to save there .If it´s good enough t´for Ferarri it is ten times good for Marussia.
Purchasing is cheaper by a long shot ...just think about the manpower and development cost needed to handle all these projects..

stefan_

Great Britain 2013 - Thursday (27.06.2013)

via AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

techF1LES

Marussia testing blown front axle

stefan_

Great Britain 2013 - Friday (28.06.2013)

via AMuS

Young Drivers Test 2013 Day 1 (Silverstone) - 17.07.2013

Young Drivers Test 2013 Day 3 (Silverstone) - 19.07.2013

New version of the blown wheel nut.
via Pius Gassó

Rushman

The fact that Pat Symonds left the team is bad. Especially given the major changes in the regulations in 2014.

Well at least they have agreed to supply Ferrari engines and gearboxes in F1 2014 season.

By the way, Pat Symonds in an interview with Auto Motor und Sport said that the budget Marussia F1 Team was 62 million pounds in 2012 (approximately $97.5 million).

Huntresa

Rushman wrote:The fact that Pat Symonds left the team is bad. Especially given the major changes in the regulations in 2014.

Well at least they have agreed to supply Ferrari engines and gearboxes in F1 2014 season.

By the way, Pat Symonds in an interview with Auto Motor und Sport said that the budget Marussia F1 Team was 62 million pounds in 2012 (approximately $97.5 million).

Yeah but still he has built up a strong team of enginners etc so he has left them in good shape and much better shape then when he joined.

stefan_

Japan 2013 - Friday (11.10.2013)