Subaru Impreza Pikes Peak

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
flynfrog

Re: Subaru Impreza Pikes Peak

Moving your wing forward will help. adding rake.

flynfrog

or put a big wing on the front too

MadMatt

The front wing is out of question because I don't want to block the entry to the intercooler (as I don't know the engine needs, for a safety reason I won't block it). Moving the rear wing forward is a good idea however, and I have considered moving the upper tier forward a bit, I still have to simulate this case!

I have indeed investigated rake angle, I will post results of this next week! :wink:

Results of the version I posted above will be posted in few minutes :)

MadMatt

So finally the values of my "real" Pikes Peak v1 from where I will try to improve the aero balance without reducing the downforce and efficiency:

- Downforce: 6902[N]
- Drag: 2189[N]
- Lift-to-drag ratio: -3.152:1
- Lift coefficient: -2.116
- Drag coefficient: 0.671
- Aero balance: 18.9% at the front

I will also use it to do my yaw, altitude and dynamic investigations!

:)

MadMatt

Results of Pikes Peak v2 are up, and below is a comparison with Pikes Peak v1 on a downforce point of view:

>> HERE! <<

Next time I will present 2 other iterations on trying to balance the car a bit more, and then I will present some graphs! I am also working on yaw at the moment and it it taking me lot of time.

Thanks for the interest! :)
Last edited by MadMatt on 22 Jul 2013, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

MadMatt

I will also conduct a pitch sensitivity of the car since the 1° rake angle applied changed the downforce and balance a lot. I will simulate from -1.5° to 1.5° with 0.5° increments. I won't try to reduce pitch sensitivity on the car because of lack of time, but what is the methodology on this without reducing the downforce of course (assuming there is a way)? :)

I know that reducing overhang for downforce generating parts is a way to reduce it, but are they others?

MadMatt

Well, no real interest anymore but I will keep you guys posted. I have, in my (little) free-time, been working on a new model. I will do all CAD optimization and CFD work after I finish my Subaru project, but I will explore more exotic ways of producing downforce, using this car:

wesley123

Fabia?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

roblomas52

Have you thought about full length ground effect tunnels in the sides?

MadMatt

roblomas52 wrote:Have you thought about full length ground effect tunnels in the sides?
I don't want to touch the chassis, therefore yes I could seal the sides but the car is already sitting quite low. If that is what you mean. A good thing would be to build a tubular chassis and incorporate in the design of the tubes some channels for the tunnels! :)

MadMatt

Following Blanchimont's idea with Optimum Lap and using his track, I have conducted a small dynamic analysis of the different models that I have made:

>> HERE! <<

Check it out :)

MadMatt

I have released some results of a pitch study that I have done:

More details as usual: >> HERE! <<

MadMatt

As I am now looking for a job, I have some time for my personal projects, one of which is this Skoda Fabia Pikes Peak using different methods than I used for the Subaru!

I have pusted on the blog the last chapter of the project (about time I know) regarding yaw. :D

P.S.: Could a mod rename the title of the thread "Pikes Peak unlimited CFD cars" please.

exist

Hello,im interested in CFD you made for a pikes peak subaru. How is possible to mail you ?