Williams F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Clew

Re: Williams F1 Team 2013

axle wrote:Most experienced Merc engineers working for McLaren right now will be moved over to Williams in 2014 IMO, leaving a far weaker squad at McLaren.
I think it only makes sense McLaren clear out ALL available engineering cubicle department space for new Honda engineers to come in. Let's face it, Honda will be setting up shop as THE engineering team without any outside German influence.
:-k
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

Pierce89

axle wrote:The important thing is the deal lasting more than 2 poxy years.

I would imagine that 5 years is the minimum they should aim for.

2014 engines are a complete gamble. I expect Merc and Renault have shared what they can about the relative merits of their units...if the only difference is ultimately price then it's a no brainer to take the Merc unit, especially in light of McLaren's exclusive deal with Honda from 2015. Most experienced Merc engineers working for McLaren right now will be moved over to Williams in 2014 IMO, leaving a far weaker squad at McLaren.
The Mclaren-Honda deal is not exclusive after 2015

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107448/
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

axle

Pierce89 wrote:
axle wrote:The important thing is the deal lasting more than 2 poxy years.

I would imagine that 5 years is the minimum they should aim for.

2014 engines are a complete gamble. I expect Merc and Renault have shared what they can about the relative merits of their units...if the only difference is ultimately price then it's a no brainer to take the Merc unit, especially in light of McLaren's exclusive deal with Honda from 2015. Most experienced Merc engineers working for McLaren right now will be moved over to Williams in 2014 IMO, leaving a far weaker squad at McLaren.
The Mclaren-Honda deal is not exclusive after 2015

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107448/
Yes but that's 2 years too late.
- Axle

sAx
sAx

axle wrote:Most experienced Merc engineers working for McLaren right now will be moved over to Williams in 2014 IMO, leaving a far weaker squad at McLaren.
So Merc Engineers embedded from Brixworth HPP will have a significant premium over Honda Engineers emdedded at MTC from Honda R&D Tochigi? Really??
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

stefan_

The Williams F1 Team and Dom Pérignon Announce Partnership at the British Grand Prix

The Williams F1 Team is pleased to announce that it will be launching a partnership with one of the world’s leading vintage Champagne brands, Dom Pérignon, at the upcoming British Grand Prix.

The partnership will launch with the Williams F1 Team and Dom Pérignon hosting an exclusive tasting event at the Silverstone circuit on the Saturday of the British Grand Prix weekend. This promises to be a special weekend for the team – celebrating the landmark achievement of competing in 600 Formula One Grands Prix. The event will see a selection of Dom Pérignon vintages being tasted by VIP guests along with an explanation of each vintage by Richard Geoffrey, Creator of Vintages at Dom Pérignon. Each vintage will also correspond with a key moment in Williams’ history, with a host of former Williams World Champions in attendance.

Richard Geoffrey, commented; “Williams and Dom Pérignon both share rich and prestigious histories. We are both constantly pushing the boundaries to achieve excellence and it is fitting that we should be marking this tremendous milestone with Williams to further enhance what promises to be a highly celebratory weekend for the team.”

Claire Williams, Deputy Team Principal and Commercial Director of the Williams F1 Team, added; “We are delighted to be partnering with one of the world’s most iconic luxury brands to host a truly unique event within the Formula One paddock. Together we will be looking back at some of our key successes in the world of motorsport and vintage Champagne and I’m sure our guests will enjoy this fusion - raising a glass or two to the longevity and success of the Williams F1 Team.”
Source: Williams F1 Team
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Javert

Will they score A point this season? :o

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Kiril Varbanov

Mike Coughlan is gone, Pat Symonds in from Marussia.
The Williams F1 Team has announced that Mike Coughlan has stepped down from his position as Technical Director and will leave the team with immediate effect. The team thanks him for the significant contribution he has made since 2011 and wishes him well in his future endeavours.
The Williams F1 Team is pleased to announce the appointment of Pat Symonds as Chief Technical Officer. Effective 19th August, Symonds joins Williams from the Marussia F1 Team where he held the position of Technical Consultant.
Symonds’ 30 year Formula One career has seen him achieve success with some of the sport’s most accomplished teams and drivers. Having started his career at Toleman, it was with Benetton and subsequently Renault that he achieved extraordinary success. His partnerships with Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso produced 32 race wins, four Drivers’ World Championships and three Constructors’ World Championships. Since 2009, he has run his own high technology and motorsports consultancy in addition to acting as a Technical Consultant to the Marussia F1 Team.

Speaking about the appointment, Williams F1 Team Founder and Team Principal Sir Frank Williams said; “I’m delighted that Pat is joining the team. His technical capabilities and sporting successes speak for themselves and I’m sure that his knowledge and leadership will contribute considerably to the success that all of us at Williams are working hard to achieve.”
Mike O’Driscoll, Group Chief Executive Officer said; “Williams’ sporting and engineering heritage dictates that we secure the finest talent available. Pat brings unrivalled technical and managerial skills in addition to a proven ability to deliver on track results. Our commitment to return Williams to winning ways is absolute and this appointment is yet more evidence of our collective desire to return the team to the position it deserves.”

Pat Symonds said; “Williams is a team steeped in success and engineering excellence and I’m honoured to be asked to play a role in returning the team to its rightful place at the pinnacle of Formula One. Sir Frank, Mike and Claire have put in place the foundations for success and I’m immensely excited to begin this new challenge.”

rich1701

Im surprised Coughlan's gone, I've always regarded him quite highly since his arrows days. I'm guessing the problem with this years car is so bad.. There is no solution the chassis can provide.

Williams have tried technical stability in the past even with disappointing results and it resulted in long term decline. Glad to see they won't tolerate this anymore.

stefan_

xpensive

So Williams is trading a cheat for a fraud, well, every little improvement counts I guess?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pierce89

xpensive wrote:So Williams is trading a cheat for a fraud, well, every little improvement counts I guess?
Pat Symonds was nothing more than a scapegoat in Crashgate.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

xpensive

Pierce89 wrote:
xpensive wrote:So Williams is trading a cheat for a fraud, well, every little improvement counts I guess?
Pat Symonds was nothing more than a scapegoat in Crashgate.
I actually mentioned I beheld him as an improvement,didn't I?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Tim.Wright

haha, X you are a bitter man...

I love it

+1
Not the engineer at Force India

iotar__

If all senior technical personnel at McLaren involved in spygate can be in F1, why can't he? Unless you believe it was only Coughlan and two evil Spaniards.

Symonds served his sentence and has every right to be in F1. As for Coughlan I'm surprised, from hero behind last year's car to mid-season exit. A bit hasty, is it because they are on stock exchange and need to make visible changes? My armchair expert analysis says Lotus should hire him, they've been losing people right, left and centre.