Toyota TF107

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jason

Looks more like the TF 105 in my opinion, barely any differences apart from a slight change of livery at the nose cone. Very disappointing to see a car like that for a team who spends hundreds of millions in R&D and then launching a car with barely any differences. :( :cry:
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

BreezyRacer

They have moved the sidepods back behind the cockpit opening so passing the crash test must have required quite a bit of effort. But it really opens up that part of the car, where a lot of drag is created. And the sidepod front surface appears to be raked up, basically passing air from the splitter in the radiator inlets. That's a pretty clean area, at least as I can tell from the photos.

The top view really shows how open this area of the car is. Also looking at the top view it appears there are some appendages in the diffuser area. Have they found a loophole?

Principessa

I don't know why everybody is kind of negative about the TF107. I think it's a great car!

scarbs

you are all right about it lookign different, on the surface that is. Once you lok past the same old paint and last years aero (wings pods etc) the car is very different.

gearbox longer moving the engienforwards and shortenign the moncoque.

This pushes weight forward and clears up flow over the diffuser.

Front of monocoque up by 30mm (betwen dash and front bulkheads) this clears up flow from the front wing and around car.

Front wishbones alittle more dropped, but Pascal told me camber change not a problem with such short travel at the front.

Old Fw with new cascades

New radiator position and shape

Rear suspension now on gearbox (not engine) with extremely angled pushrod.

Rear wing beam mounted and not the vertical strut like last year.

shaped rear impact strucutre with a pyramid fairing on top.

Scarbs.... (live from Cologne)

ketanpaul

I agree with Tomba and Prncipessa. It is a really nice car with a few daring aspects to it. It is something that they can contimually develop the whole year matching tha pace of other teams. Pascal Vasselon is someone whom I regard as one of the brainiest people in F1, right up there with Ross Brawn etc. I dont think he can even dream of finalising a car which can be so "obviously" a donkey according to some forum members (no offence guys :lol: :lol: ) It is an interesting design and something which can be improved upon the whole year, which is the key to continued success (unlike Honda who had a very strong car in the start of the season and failed to match even the lowest of expectation mid-season) I really think Toyota is in for a consistent points scoring car this time and I wont be surprised if they get a couple of podiums. Best of luck to all the hardworking guys at Toyota :lol: :lol: :lol:

scarbs

BreezyRacer

Thanks for the outstanding detail pics Scarbs!

Jason

Wow, those pics were great scarbs!!!! Outstanding!!!
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

manchild

So, they've changed everything but the main aerodynamics :roll:

Bigger and smaller aero bits are changed, breadboards are changed, diffuser is changed, gearbox is changed, exhaust position is changed, suspension is changed but shape of the nose, chassis and sidepods is almost untouched as if represented a masterpiece in 2006 while in even one year ago it looked like it was from 3 or 4 years ago.

I don't see the logic in trying to get performance by tuning additional aero bits while you leave main object like sidepods ridiculously square relative to other f1 cars even though Toyota has several times bigger budget than some teams. TF107 looks as they've used no CFD and wind tunnel at all but just tweaked here and there. Another thing evolution of unsuccessfully car is logical move but evolution of unsuccessful car despite having all the budget in the world isn't logical.

Line up TF140, TF105, TF106, TF107 and compare evolution with evolution that happened at other teams and you'll understand why people think that Toyota makes funny F1 cars relative to budget they have. Compare differences of TF104 with TF107 and those between Renault R24 and R26 or Ferrari F2004 and F248.

Perhaps the changes made on TF107 are big but in F1 they are racing against other teams who have already made much more radical changes years ago so TF107 might be big evolution only relative to TF106 not to contemporary elite of F1 like Renault or Ferrari.

Being conservative is exactly why they'll never win any championship (with not much brighter prospects for race win) unless some lucky rain or collision related incident doesn't help them.

BreezyRacer

manchild wrote:Being conservative is exactly why they'll never win any championship (with not much brighter prospects for race win) unless some lucky rain or collision related incident doesn't help them.
In my view being conservative is copying what others have done, winding up with a Ferrari or Renault knock off. This is clearly not that. In my opinion it's not conservative. They are not following.

Last year Toyota and Ferrari spent a lot of effort in the leading area of the sidepods. They were constantly trying bits almost every race trip. I trust they both learned a lot from that.

And who knows, maybe the next Renault will look like this car .. we are seeing just the first unveiling.

manchild

BreezyRacer wrote:In my view being conservative is copying what others have done, winding up with a Ferrari or Renault knock off. This is clearly not that. In my opinion it's not conservative. They are not following.
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=26872

BreezyRacer

Cute pic, and old story. But that's not what I'm referring to at all. Your case was they should copy the sidepods of Ferrari/Renault. I was just remarking that copying is the conservative thing to do.

manchild

My logic is like this:

If you have several teams with huge budget, if they use more-less same computes, more-less same software and wind tunnels and if they have more-less similar experts than their final results - the cars should resemble (more-less again).

As we can see such logic and resemblance between Renault, Ferrari, Mclaren, Honda, BMW... we can't see that observing Toyota. Their designs look like they have least money and being conservative about their car would mean that it already was a winner or very close to it (and it was not), so why be conservative?

Principessa

I think it will be a very good car. I think the front wing and rear wing look great and I love what they've done with the sidepods. I think that this year, they might win their first race, it would be great gift for their 50th anniversary.

I also believe that Franck Montagny was the perfect choice for Toyota as he has great speed and gives great feedback to the engineers. All his previous teams have admired him for that and after only a few tests with Toyota, the Japanese team already experienced that.

Sawtooth-spike

I will admit, on a second look the back end does look super tight. But As has been said the sidepods look nowhere nears a smooth as the renualts or ferrari's.

You can See Alot of work has been done, But the question is have they done it in the right places?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!