Toyota TF107

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall

Granted, I'm not an aerodynamicist, but I don't see anything on the new Toyota that I haven't seen on other cars last year. In fact, it seems like they've just reached into the "Things That Appear To Have Worked For Others" grab-bag and had a party on the chassis.

No wins for this car, in my totally uninformed opinion.

vyselegend

Thank you very much scrabs! It's always a pleasure to have members sharing infos and pics, but the pics from a professional live at the event are really the "cherry on top". F1 technical rules!

I can't tell why precisely, but the TF107 is better looking IMO than it's predecessors. Yes there are still angles, but all in all it isn't as squary as the ugly TF106. Anyway I'm just speaking about beauty there. Last year's Williams was the most beautifull car to my eyes, seemed pure, yet it was revealed later it's design wasn't efficient and was the achille's heel of the team. Only a Toyota aerodynamicist could tell what's their new design worth...

m3_lover

Technical director Pascal Vasselon smiled when he said only the "seat belts" from the preceding TF106B had been carried over to the new car.

The aerodynamic package of wings and sidepods are all due to change before Australia.

All in All I can not wait to see what it has in Australia.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

zac510

scarbs, does engine move forward sound like it trnaslates into a smaller fuel tank to you?
one could come to the conclusion that the new Bridgey tyres are not as appropriate to a single stop strategy as we may have thought?

kilcoo316

vyselegend wrote:I can't tell why precisely, but the TF107 is better looking IMO than it's predecessors. Yes there are still angles, but all in all it isn't as squary as the ugly TF106. Anyway I'm just speaking about beauty there. Last year's Williams was the most beautifull car to my eyes, seemed pure, yet it was revealed later it's design wasn't efficient and was the achille's heel of the team. Only a Toyota aerodynamicist could tell what's their new design worth...
Sometimes it is better to have squared off edges than rounded ones.

Might sound surprising, but it makes for cleaner flow detachment, and makes the flow more predictable (so you can manipulate it a little easier).

Tom

Scarbs, you're most likely to know this one, on your pic http://scarbsf1.com/php_gallery/main.ph ... alNumber=2 what is that black carbon fibre element sticking upwards out the top? I remeber seeing a small strut in the middle of the rear wing on last years car but I thought they'd abolished it mid season.

Also have Reault not been bolting the rear suspension to the gearbox for over a year now? Could that be why Toyota are doing it?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Tp
Tp

The thing that annoys me about Toyota, is that when you look at the design it looks as though the aero's an after thought. As though they have more important priorities to deal with. Just look at the sidepods, I don't know of any other teams that have them so boxy. if you compare the design to the Ferrari 248 or the Renault R26, where everything looks so much more intergrated and elegant.

joseff

Don't forget that with their budget, they can display a show car for the "launch", then produce yet another totally different car for Melbourne. This is what they did last year.

The TF106 bits still seen on the car may yet change, most teams change their car between the launch and first race anyway.

f1.redbaron

Stop making fun of my team! :D :D :D

A question...does anybody know the purpose of the opening on the top of the FW (right above the letter M on the BMC logo)? Thanks

zac510

That would be the adjuster for the upper flap on the front wing.

f1.redbaron

Yeah, the moment I got as far as "adjuster", I realized that it was a retarded question.

I've seen them adjust the wing so many times during pit stops that I should've known the answer to the question.

Still, thanks!

vyselegend

kilcoo316 wrote:
Sometimes it is better to have squared off edges than rounded ones.

Might sound surprising, but it makes for cleaner flow detachment, and makes the flow more predictable (so you can manipulate it a little easier).
yes I see what you mean. For a team starting from scratch, it is wiser to try to understand the behavior of air moving around rather simple shapes instead of trying to come up with a very efficient thing while dealing with complex geometry they haven't tested yet.
But Toyota are five years old now, they have a wind tunnel running flat out like others, why aren' they trying to evolve the desing, at least testing it. In the end if the "squary" design is that efficient, why are other teams trying that hard to avoid it?

Tp
Tp

joseff wrote:Don't forget that with their budget, they can display a show car for the "launch", then produce yet another totally different car for Melbourne. This is what they did last year.

The TF106 bits still seen on the car may yet change, most teams change their car between the launch and first race anyway.
Yeah you're right, the wings and sidepods are set to change before Australia

Jason

Look likes Toyota's front wing proved me wrong, the front wing seems to be heavily developed throughout the winter. But is the suspension single keel or zero-keel? :?
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

manchild

Jason, I made that avatar for Wazojugs and apart from that I've explained you why taking other members avatars isn't smart and welcomed. I've also made you two avatars so far as you requested with one of them being animated Subaru that wasn't that easy at all and after all that talk (in the wind) there you go again stealing other people's avatars for the second time. I'd say this is at least your 20th avatar in less than a year. I'm really trying to see understand what are you trying to achieve but I can't.

As I wrote to you in PM - Avatars are for easier identification so using any avatar people already have in their minds as someone else's would only cause confusion on the forum.

Perhaps I should have shouted :roll:

In case you wisely change it again here's the proof

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5167/jasonkz3.jpg