McLaren MP4-22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DarkSnape

today in valencia, Alonso engine has blow up.

http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/64137

f1.redbaron

DarkSnape wrote:today in valencia, Alonso engine has blow up.

http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/64137
The man was probably thinking - "So this is what it feels like to be Kimi".

DarkSnape

yeah sry for him :(

ek

Actually it did not break. He stopped for two hours, made some adjustment and then he continued testing.

BMW also stopped due to someelectronic problems as well.
Last edited by ek on 17 Jan 2007, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Falling in love is the closest thing to being at the Grand Prix for the first time.

pyry

mp4-21 mp4-22 front end comparison, the amount of changes is overwhealming :) Image

seems rons focus has been on the livery
four rings to rule them all

Timstr

What do you guys think of the McLaren diffuser. Looks very aggressive.
The channels adjacent to the central tunnel are significantly higher and larger.

allan

Timstr wrote:What do you guys think of the McLaren diffuser. Looks very aggressive.
The channels adjacent to the central tunnel are significantly higher and larger.
if so, it should generate less grip, shouldn't it?

manchild

Forget diffuser - check brake ducts! :shock:

Why the hell are they so wide? :?

allan

i guess because they aren't using that additional ferrari/renault wheel rim :? :?:
is this really the mp4-22?

joseff

Looks like a 21 with the Montoya front wing.

m3_lover

I wonder if they are going to have one wing for alonso and one wing for hamilton?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Saribro

m3_lover wrote:I wonder if they are going to have one wing for alonso and one wing for hamilton?
I think that's likely. Last year Kimi mostly ran with the sweeping wing with simple endplates (like the studio pictures of the 22), while Pedro usually ran the stepped wing with more complex endplates (like above). They did experiment with all kinds of combinations and variations aswell though.

Tom

Big brake ducts are probably just to intimadate rivals :lol: , after all to warrant ducts that big you need a hairy fast car
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

BreezyRacer

Timstr wrote:What do you guys think of the McLaren diffuser. Looks very aggressive.
From what I can see in the pics it looks pretty standard fare to me. Maybe I just haven't found a good shot of it yet. Compare it against the diffuser on the new Toyota here, which I believe is the most bold design I've seen.

http://scarbsf1.com/php_gallery/main.ph ... itemId=453

Notice how the housing for the rain light occupies the center of the roof and protrudes into the diffusser area beyond the need for a rain light, effectively dividing the diffuser box into 2 sections, and the roof corespondingly sweeps out aggressively into the lower wing section. I haven't seen that before, along with the aero lump on top of the lower wing, which I believe also as part of the diffuser in that it probably diverts air towards the diffuser exits. Just a hunch but it will be interesting to see other teams play with this new diffuser design.

EDIT.. upon examining more pics maybe the two designs aren't that far apart except for that hump on the Toyota.

Jason

:shock: Very aggressive diffuser indeed!! Also, where is SIEMENS? have they stop sponsoring Mclaren? :?:
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW