Could the Monaco F1 track be about to change?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: Could the Monaco F1 track be about to change?

Good plan if they can get it done.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

dave34m

Tim.Wright wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:Monaco is only on the calendar because of the whole glamour/money thing. As a racing circuit it is pointless. Back in the day it was a challenge but today it's not so much. Proof? Watch in car footage of the 80s / early 90s and then watch today's cars. With power steering and fingertip gear changes it's a much easier track than it was. The corners have been reprofiled to move the barriers back. It's a very different circuit to the one that Senna drove in 1988 for example.
I'd counter that and say that Monaco is the only remaining track that is really testing the driver's skill and for that there is an attraction that the other circuits don't have. In a time where acres of tarmac runoff are the norm, its the only remaining track where all mistakes are punished. Sure the racing can be boring, but you have to appreciate the skill required to keep the car out of the barriers for an hour and a half.

It might not be the same challenge as it was 20 year's ago but if you honestly think that today's challenge at Monaco is overall "not so much" then you're nuts.
I agree but the race badly needs at least 1 real overtaking opportunity and if this new area could provide that I would love to see it added.

For those who want it left for historical reasons, well the original track layout looks like it would remain anyway so they could revert back to it if the new layout wasnt successful and/or to be used for the Monaco historical race.

krisfx

Didn't they attempt to plan a track extension in the early 2000's? I'm sure I read somewhere at least.

NL_Fer

Just one proper overtake spot would be enough.