Renault R27

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
manchild

djones wrote:How come the end of the engine has bizzare machine marks
Because casted element can't have same strength (relative to weight) as pressed piece of metal which is than machined.

Regarding livery... would it be better if they've done it like this?

*I was in a hurry so quality isn't that good but it's enough for hint

Last edited by manchild on 25 Jan 2007, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

Venom

yes!

IMO you've just embarrassed renault designers...
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

Sawtooth-spike

Dude that looks sweet.

i was wondering where the yellow to orange fade was? the colours are calling out for it
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

manchild

I did it today in a rush and they had whole winter to experiment and immeasurable resources and they came up with that circus camouflage :(

People are already making fun of them (it is not my fake pic)

[img:804:564]http://666kb.com/i/al8w95m1nqzsg4kfe.jpg[/img]

supertec

i understand the need for sponsor adverts but man.. the graphic designers must have been scratching their heads trying to come up with something to go with orange, white, blue and yellow.. .ick fugly!
"It's Villeneuve, the young man from Ontario, Canada.....no excuse me, that's Quebec, Canada." -Martin Brundle

joseff

The irony is that last month we'd have called Manchild's design fugly. The real thing is so bad that Manchild's one looks okay.

furnik

tell you kimi wouldnt whant to have a big hang over night before with that color sceme. :sick: :shock:

vyselegend

The more I look at the car, the less I wonder why Alonso left the team... :twisted:

Manchild's pic just show how easy it is to make it look better. Actually the real challenge would be to make it look worse. :evil:

ReubenG

WRT the machining marks on the R27 engine block, what looks like a "large" surface variation is actually really small - we've got a couple of end plates that were CNC machined to the much the same surface finish. I just went and ran a finger over the machining ridges - the ridges are barely discernable to human touch. Machining those down to a finer surface finish will be really expensive and time consuming - seeing as how Renault have obviously cut the budget on anything that is aesthetics related :twisted: that probably won't happen..... then again I do remember my fracture mechanics lecturer going on about machining marks acting as crack initiation zones, so maybe someone should tell them surface finish isn't just about aesthetics .

Any ideas why the "leaked test" pictures show the rear mid-wing support to be a double element structure while the "official release" photos show only a single central support element?
Last edited by ReubenG on 25 Jan 2007, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

f1.redbaron

BreezyRacer wrote:Cooling fins!
I thought that it might serve for that purpose, but the ridges just don't seem deep enough.

I could be wrong, though, it is difficult to say from the picture.

Tp
Tp

f1.redbaron wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:Cooling fins!
I thought that it might serve for that purpose, but the ridges just don't seem deep enough.

I could be wrong, though, it is difficult to say from the picture.
Good possibility that it is for cooling, as the surface area will still be dramatically increased, which would aid cooling

allan

i really liked manchild's first design with the orange and black...
but to be honest, the new renault colours are the fugliest ever!!!!! he car is amazing, but not the colours :shock: :sick:

ginsu

RS26

[img:1000:650]http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/DSC_0533.jpg[/img]

RS27

[img:1100:715]http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/rs27C.jpg[/img]

Really wanted to do a comparison side by side of these two engines. I think the biggest change is that Renault have added another mounting point for the engine on the side of the camshaft covers, that should significantly increase the torsional rigidity of the engine.

The machining looks alot better too.
I love to love Senna.

fraggle

manchild wrote:
djones wrote:How come the end of the engine has bizzare machine marks
Because casted element can't have same strength (relative to weight) as pressed piece of metal which is than machined.

Regarding livery... would it be better if they've done it like this?

*I was in a hurry so quality isn't that good but it's enough for hint

[img:500:357]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7673/mc3bd.jpg[/img]
^
so when do you start work as renault f1's new designer??? its just what I thought, there's too much white on the car. but that looks alot better..

f1.redbaron

I don't know if this was said before, but the pictures like the one below, make me think that the R27 was made by joining the front of one car to the rear of another one: