Honda RA107

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sawtooth-spike

Tp wrote:Wow Honda must have some serious problems with air management around the sidepods, look at the size of the sidepod vanes!! But this is probably because the RA07 has no bargeboards, unlike ferrari or Renault for example.
I dont think its a problem i think is just a differant metholigy. As you said no bargeboards so its just a differant way of using the air over the body.

I have looked at all the pictures i can, and i am still finding it really hard to make out anything. Atleast we are not looking at it and wondering what has changed.

I am really hoping honda do well this year.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

BreezyRacer

One thing I can see after some study is that the turning vanes are very large, projecting out maybe 20 inches ahead of the sidepod. I haven't seen anything that radical yet. Toyota also have gone "bargeless" but their turning vanes, while large, are still only about half the size of the Honda.

This of course, could all be a bit of BS, as in a heartbeat any of these teams could slap some barge boards on these cars.

PNSD

BAR / Honda havent had use of bargeboards in a while.

ThomasFredrickSmith

ThomasFredrickSmith wrote:
I see Honda have copied Renault's new sidepod-mounted mirrors (or were they copied from Ferrari?). Wonder how many other teams have thought of that?
My mistake, the angle of the picture must be deciving my eyes. Doesn't help that the car is painted black either. They just reminded me of Renault's wing mirrors.

Timstr

This intrigues me.

Ferrari's Aldo Costa:
"...As a result of more stringent crash tests that have come into force this year, the F2007 is just under 10kg heavier than the old car...."

Honda's Nakamoto:
"The main design challenge has been achieving improved aerodynamic efficiency whilst accommodating tough new safety regulations specific to the car’s crash structures. I am pleased that we have been able to achieve this objective at the same time as reducing the overall weight of the car.

Either Honda had quite a bit of scope for weight reduction relative to Ferrari, or Ferrari has done a bad job.

Ranald

I imagine most, if not all, of that 10kg weight increase has come about due to the increased wheel base whilst maintaining the chassis stiffness.
"I was having a ---" - Kimi Riakkonens response to Martin Brundles questioning of why he had missed Peles presentation to Michael Schumacher before the Brazilian GP 2006.

bhall

Ranald wrote:I imagine most, if not all, of that 10kg weight increase has come about due to the increased wheel base whilst maintaining the chassis stiffness.
Exactly.

m3_lover

Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

RacingManiac

I see they have moved the tie-rod back in plane with the top wishbone.....

PNSD

Wasnt that changed for 2005/6?

Octavarium

Really like the look of the RA107, especially in black! Part of me wants them to keep this livery - especially if they have something as horrendus as the Renault scheme planned!!!

RacingManiac

PNSD wrote:Wasnt that changed for 2005/6?
I think RA106 had it out of plane and now they moved it back...

Sawtooth-spike

Fing black Car!!! I keep looking at this and tryign to work out if its the RA106 or the RA107 running last years nose.

I have given up looking can somebody help me, cus its annoying me.

If it is the RA106 then why are they running it, they had 2 RA107 Chassis lastweek [/list]
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

allan

i'd say it's an 106.. u can notice the rear wiglets on the engine covers, apart form the front suspension and the front wing :wink:

joseff

Also on the 107 the sidepod winglets are attached to the chimneys. This pic shows the little support pillars, like the 106.