Red Bull RB3

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ginsu

allan wrote:yes tom, u're right, but the pictures above were taken at the seat curve, which is one of the slowest on the track... so i don't think that the car can carry so much speed at that curve that is capable of flexing the wings that much.
It's really hard to say, but those pictures are often taken in high-speed mode in sequential order. We don't know how fast the car is moving, so it makes it really difficult. I don't think that they are different parts though, the pictures are very much in sequence.
I love to love Senna.

Vasco

I noticed that the new red bull has a wider nose as compared to the Mclaren's ant-eater nose. To me it seems that ron dennis wanted to prove that the MP4-18 was not a failure and forced Newey to design the the subsequent cars with the ant-eater nose since it was the most distict feature of the MP4-18. The MP4-20 had a wider nose and was succesfull. The MP4-21 went back to the ant-eater nose and was not succesfull.

It seems that newey is now free to design the cars anyhow now and has implemented the wider nose for red bull. Mayb the narrow, ant-eater shaped nose of mclaren has plenty of drawbacks..

i70q7m7ghw

I doubt that if you just snapped a wide nose onto the MP4-22 it would suddenly win races... sadly it's not as simple as that.

Steve Wilson

The MP4-21 was actually pretty quick last season in a race situation. It was it's reliability that let it down the most, think of how many times Kimi looked in a great position and then the car broke down.

i70q7m7ghw

or someone hit him from behind... :roll:

ginsu

The RB3 is missing the winglets in testing at Valencia today. Are they redesigning them?
I love to love Senna.

Tom

Thats a fantastic picture, the Newey design combined with a non-chrome Red Bull livery looks great. Is it just me or does that car have the roll bar quite far back and a much longer cockpit?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Ciro Pabón

ginsu wrote:The RB3 is missing the winglets in testing at Valencia today. Are they redesigning them?
Yes. Newey explained they will fix them later and that he is worried about the "main" aerodynamic design (I think the interview is here, in the news).
Ciro

ginsu

Could you post a link to that Ciro, I haven't been able to find it. Thanx :)
I love to love Senna.

ginsu

Updated the side wing elements with support strut.

To all the people that thought the bending was fake, trust your eyes people.
I love to love Senna.

RACKITUP

ginsu wrote:Updated the side wing elements with support strut.

To all the people that thought the bending was fake, trust your eyes people.
a symbolic picture perhaps ;)

tetopelis

wow..talk about alot of mclaren bashing here..hahaha..does everyone got something against mclaren..well if thats the case i guess at the current they proving alotta ppl wrong in the tests.:P
but back to the pointthe side profile shows the nose curved in a very interesting way..any gain from that??
by the way Vasco, the aneater nose..was Newey's idea, not ron's, i rmbr reading countless articles og newey talking about that nose and he got the nose idea from sometime back. It did prove problematic in the sense..hence why the successful MP4-20 front end was developed differently and if i'm not mistaken was not fully designed by newey. MP4-21 was designed with the same nose again but definetly not as small as the MP4-18 and 19..better understanding i suppose..and again its Newey who entirely designed MP4-21..this year's MP4-22 still wholes the same design but i belive its a lil bit bigger then that of the 21. I suppose newey has a better understanding on the nose..but chose differently for Red-Bull. so it wasn't ron dennis forcing anything.
" If you want to win, get a Finn" - Hakkinen

joseff

Adding my $0.02 to the McLaren/RBR comparisons here, I remember two things that happened in 1998 when Newey went Williams->McLaren:
- The '98 Mac appeared with a Williams-looking front wing.
- 1998 saw new tire rules plus the new max width. McLaren guessed the correct wheelbase right away, Williams and Ferrari went too long.

Could history be repeating itself?

m3_lover

David Coulthard has refused to make a damning appraisal of Red Bull's new car for 2007 despite failing to shine at the wheel so far.

Also in the hands of the Scot's new teammate Mark Webber, the Adrian Newey-penned machine had an unreliable and slow start to its on-track life, prompting recollections of Coulthard's recent assertion that heads should roll if the RB3 bombs.

When asked about the car, Coulthard is quoted as saying by Auto Motor und Sport: "I do not want to avoid the question, but you would not judge the effectiveness of a new plane if you had only flown it in the simulator and for a few metres down the runway."

The German magazine, however, says that Coulthard and Australian Webber, 30, are reporting a general lack of aerodynamic grip, in stark contrast with the data findings of the newly-commissioned wind tunnel in Bedford (UK).

Auto Motor und Sport adds that the car was up to four kilometres per hour slower at Valencia than engine supplier Renault's works team last week, and that the new high speed gearbox was not even used due to faults.

The RB3 is reportedly also failing to effectively use Bridgestone's control tyre.

"Even after long runs the rubber looks like new," the magazine wrote
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

allan

m3_lover wrote:David Coulthard has refused to make a damning appraisal of Red Bull's new car for 2007 despite failing to shine at the wheel so far.

Also in the hands of the Scot's new teammate Mark Webber, the Adrian Newey-penned machine had an unreliable and slow start to its on-track life, prompting recollections of Coulthard's recent assertion that heads should roll if the RB3 bombs.

When asked about the car, Coulthard is quoted as saying by Auto Motor und Sport: "I do not want to avoid the question, but you would not judge the effectiveness of a new plane if you had only flown it in the simulator and for a few metres down the runway."

The German magazine, however, says that Coulthard and Australian Webber, 30, are reporting a general lack of aerodynamic grip, in stark contrast with the data findings of the newly-commissioned wind tunnel in Bedford (UK).

Auto Motor und Sport adds that the car was up to four kilometres per hour slower at Valencia than engine supplier Renault's works team last week, and that the new high speed gearbox was not even used due to faults.

The RB3 is reportedly also failing to effectively use Bridgestone's control tyre.

"Even after long runs the rubber looks like new," the magazine wrote
ouch! :?