Jump to new messages in thread

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Primus

Jump to new messages in thread

Hi all,

I really like this forum but there's one feature that really bothers me.
When i open thread that i've been reading before it opens the thread on page 1 instead of opening it where unread posts start. I've been correcting this behavior by manually changing url by adding "&view=unread" to it, but it's kind of tedious. It would be great if we had an option to change the behavior of the board so it would open threads on the page where new posts start.

tim|away

Re: Jump to new messages in thread

The desired functionality already exists. Just click the orange paper icon instead of the thread title and you will be taken to the first unread post directly. See screenshot below.
I hope that helps.

Primus

That is awesome.
Thank you tim|away.

tim|away

I'm glad it helped.

For the sake of completeness, if you click the title of a thread (and land on the first page of it) you will also see a link at the top next to the page numbers labelled "first unread post" which achieves the same thing from within the thread itself (assuming there are unread posts in the thread, otherwise it will disappear).

WillerZ

tim|away wrote:The desired functionality already exists. Just click the orange paper icon instead of the thread title and you will be taken to the first unread post directly. See screenshot below.
http://s18.postimg.org/5k4bf2rw9/new_msg.gif
I hope that helps.
Can that icon be made much bigger please? I find it difficult to click on on some of the crappier touch pads I occasionally have to use, and I have to zoom right in to get it on an iPad or similar.

Steven
Owner

Or maybe we can just change the link of the title to go to the first unread post, instead of the first page of the thread?
Then icon and link would target the same URL...
And perhaps then we could just get rid of the icon too...

Acceptable?

turbof1

I'm down for that. I never click the forum link, but the "view new posts" one. Essentially I very rarely bother with going first through the categories.
#AeroFrodo

Gridlock

If you could use image dimension attributes on IMG that would be very very useful - pic-heavy threads never open at the right point when browsing "new posts" thanks to this (and it's probably a user-experience signal to search engine ranking...)

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_img_height.asp

Cuky

Steven wrote:Or maybe we can just change the link of the title to go to the first unread post, instead of the first page of the thread?

Acceptable?

That sounds OK for me.

But there is another thing now that this has been brought up. Where threads with latest posts are listed at the bottom of home page (picture is below so that there is no confusion) could it also be possible to make them direct you to first unread post instead of to the last post in the thread like it does now?

Picture:

CBeck113

Steven wrote:Or maybe we can just change the link of the title to go to the first unread post, instead of the first page of the thread?

Acceptable?
How would you get to the first page of the thread then? I think that a larger icon would solve the problem more "elegantly", since we could choose between the first page or the first unread. I as aware that most of us want the first unread, since we're always up to date. But changing the title link would probably be pretty rough for new members to find their way through the numerous threads.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Steven
Owner

I found out in the meantime that phpbb will implement this behaviour as well in one of the future versions.

The point about new members is easily solved, as they only have unread threads, so the link will always go to the first post.

I see no negatives, and given that it's going to be standard anyway, I see no reason to not change it immediately either.