Spyker F8 VII

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
i70q7m7ghw

dumrick wrote:Wow, that must be the worst finishing in a F1 I've seen for years... are there any matching parts?
The keel concept looks like Red Bull's, an evolution of the primitive double-keel concept by Arrows. Also looks a lot like the M16, only Red Bull ventured in a radical change in design.
OK an I suppose you have seen the wind tunnel figures for this car... I mean clearly only someone in the know could called the twin keel design "primitive"...

If you look this is the way most of the teams have done it...

johny

rear end looks like nobody worked there, but they get to make that zero keel layout and front end look nice. You must think before saying anything bad about the car in the team situation, it's their first year, their star designer couldn't make much things for the car because his late contract. Also they moved to ferrari engines and they confirmed that so late. It's going to be a hard time for spyker but fighting with manufacturers and manufacturers "B" is not an easy deal. They like racing, and they'll strugle to be near the pace but in the right way, not getting a big team chassis just showing that they can be in formula 1. Let's see if they can attract people like minardi did

dumrick

Diesel wrote:OK an I suppose you have seen the wind tunnel figures for this car... I mean clearly only someone in the know could called the twin keel design "primitive"...

If you look this is the way most of the teams have done it...
What I meant is that is an evolution of the "primordial" Arrows twin-keel. No judgment involved...

ss_collins

I say its twin but Charles (RCE editor) says its single. I'm assuming that the drillings un the bottom of the tub are for pedal adjustment - what if any aero effect wouldthey have? also do most F1cars have drillings there? its not often a view you get

dumrick

johny wrote:it's their first year, their star designer couldn't make much things for the car because his late contract
Jordan Grand Prix was founded more than 15 years ago, the factory is the same, there's no excuse to make mismatching parts...
And James Key was the designer of the car, "Gascoyne" is just an overrated technician made at Jordan, that was chief engineer in a dream team that took Renault to some world titles. Renault kept winning without him, to prove that they are a good team, you can give or take an engineer with too much personality and desire to become a star...

fwa2500

Spyker MF1 wrote:Are there any high def pics of the gorgeous looking car (that won't stretch at all on a 19in monitor)?
---> http://huw-alban.fotopic.net/c1202030.html

after clicking a thimbnail, a small size image will show up, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "full size" 8)

Jagboy

Cool pictures. I love the livery. There's something to be said for keeping it simple.

JB

dumrick

ss_collins wrote:I say its twin but Charles (RCE editor) says its single. I'm assuming that the drillings un the bottom of the tub are for pedal adjustment - what if any aero effect wouldthey have? also do most F1cars have drillings there? its not often a view you get
Yeah, never noticed it before, too.
Three rows of so neatly aligned holes... could be for pedals, indeed!

scarbs

Sam,
The car is a zero going on twin keel, the flexures are actually outboard and lower by a an inch or so from the main section of the tub. metal extensions reach out to mount the flexures. The tub is effectively carried over from last year, they have simply added Newey-like turning vanes around their FLWB mountings.

I guess the drillings are for pedals, I've never seen them drilled through the chassis before, although the teams often cover any bolt holes with colour matched stickers.

Scarbs...

i70q7m7ghw

dumrick wrote:
johny wrote:it's their first year, their star designer couldn't make much things for the car because his late contract
Jordan Grand Prix was founded more than 15 years ago, the factory is the same, there's no excuse to make mismatching parts...
And James Key was the designer of the car, "Gascoyne" is just an overrated technician made at Jordan, that was chief engineer in a dream team that took Renault to some world titles. Renault kept winning without him, to prove that they are a good team, you can give or take an engineer with too much personality and desire to become a star...

WTF are you on about?? Mismatching parts???? where?

dumrick

Diesel wrote:WTF are you on about?? Mismatching parts???? where?
Check the extensions added to the M16 tub, the point where the front arm of the lower wishbone comes out and that zone in general.
The fairing for the front arm of upper wishbone is just 80's looking, a lot more primitive (yes, as "low-tech" here) than what is made in F1 today.

i70q7m7ghw

It's a recycled tub, thats obvious so they have just done the best they can with this car while Gazza works on the new one. Whats wrong with the top-front wishbone arm mountings?? How do you know there isn't some kind of aero benefit going on there?

Spyker MF1

fwa2500 wrote:
Spyker MF1 wrote:Are there any high def pics of the gorgeous looking car (that won't stretch at all on a 19in monitor)?
---> http://huw-alban.fotopic.net/c1202030.html

after clicking a thimbnail, a small size image will show up, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "full size" 8)
Cool cheers :D :D :D :D
Best F1 games on the net for free check
http://batracer.com/ and
http://b3.f1managerpro.com/index.php

BreezyRacer

In looking over the photos the sidepods look pretty compact and well shaped to me. Check this out ..
http://huw-alban.fotopic.net/p38354331.html

kurtiejjj

johny wrote:rear end looks like nobody worked there
Hmm, as long as it is giving the required downforce I think it's OK. I mean other teams stuck heaps of winglets on to the car to get the downforce which probaply create a lot of drag! Or am I being stupid here :D !