Renault R27

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
allan

johny wrote:they've been testing them since they introduced the r27. I don't see nothing strange as they're legal
ya, i know that, but they stopped using them last week for some reason... it was already mentioned in the thread a couple of pages before :wink:

ginsu

I think they are exhausting brake heat on the inside of the wheel just like Ferrari and using the heat to help with flow under the lower element of the rear wing. So far, only Ferrari and Renault have their cars setup this way, and they are the only ones running the rim shields, not suprising.

You can see the ports for exhausting the brake heat below the lower element right up next to the wheel. It's just a little hole cut out of the fairing on the wheel.

I love to love Senna.

kurtiejjj

Please bring back Benneton 8) ! Renault sucks!

pyry

ginsu wrote:I think they are exhausting brake heat on the inside of the wheel just like Ferrari and using the heat to help with flow under the lower element of the rear wing. So far, only Ferrari and Renault have their cars setup this way, and they are the only ones running the rim shields, not suprising.

You can see the ports for exhausting the brake heat below the lower element right up next to the wheel. It's just a little hole cut out of the fairing on the wheel.

this had me wondering, might another aplication be that the heat exits slower, and turbulates inside the rim, thus heating it and thereby contributing a little to heating the rear tyres. it would be better due to the smaller camber angles required, and thereby also contributing to better topspeeds and smaller graining wear. just an idea, what do you think?
four rings to rule them all

ginsu

I don't think that is a bad idea pyry...although, the extreme heat cycling can't be good for consistent grip levels. Also, air is a great insulater and rubber is not a good conductor of heat, so I'm not sure how much heating the brakes really do. It's really hard to know without sticking one of those thermal strips to the inside of the wheel.
I love to love Senna.

pyry

yeah, but if the brakes generally vary between 500-1200c, then the carbon rim could act as a heat distributor by means of evening out the thermal variations to a more constant invariable temperature.
four rings to rule them all

mx_tifoso

renault has the wheel rim covers back on for barcelona, since monday
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Mikey_s

Pyry, Ginsu,

the brakes generate a LOT of heat, I'm not sure you really want that circulating too much around the wheel; I did some calculations a while back and on a circuit like Monza, or Montreal the cars are dumping about 3 MegaJoules (divide it by 4 to get the rough output per wheel) at each heavy braking point - all in a second or two. That's why the brake discs glow nearly white hot...

I think the main issues to manage are; a) get the heat dissipated quickly, b) make the hot air go where it might do some benefit rather than harm.
Mike

checkered

Here's Pat Symonds

discussing what they're looking into and what are the most propable avenues of improvements with the R27. Don't be baffled by the title "Renault remain baffled by loss of form", they're hotter on the tracks of their gremlins than might be readily apparent.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57963

bizadfar

vyselegend wrote:The more I look at the car, the less I wonder why Alonso left the team... :twisted:

Manchild's pic just show how easy it is to make it look better. Actually the real challenge would be to make it look worse. :evil:
He left maybe because the MP4-20 was the sexiest looking livery ever! (he did sign a deal at the end of 05)