Moving F1-Staff

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
lio007

Re: Moving F1-Staff

Manoah2u wrote:weren't there a lot of RB staff going to other teams aswell? maybe it's me but i can't see them in the list and i'm not that deeply delved into the staff members [yet].
I wouldn't say "a lot".
- Shaun Whitehead left RBR June 2013, and joined Williams Jan. 2014

- Mark Ellis & Giles Wood, can begin their work at Mercedes soonest in June 2014 (I don't know if they are still at RBR or already on "gardening leave")

- Peter Prodromou will (maybe) start his work at McLaren 2015 (so...pretty far away, and I think he is still at RBR)
- Dan Fallows will (maybe) move with Peter Prodromou (this name appeared, but AFAIK never officially confirmed by the team)

So, this 5 engineers will leave/have left the team. This 5 names were in the media, I don't know if more have left the team, but I don't think so.

Moving from one team to another is not very unusual in F1. (in 2012 there were also pretty much of engineer-moving all over the teams)

Crucial_Xtreme

lio007 wrote:
To Others:
- José Gallego Segura, Head of Aerodynamic Design (former Lead Design Engineer), from Lotus to Porsche, Jan. 2014
Jose was not anywhere near head of aerodynamic design/lead design engineer, he is just an average designer. I hear it's the smallest loss of the team.

kooleracer

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
lio007 wrote:
To Others:
- José Gallego Segura, Head of Aerodynamic Design (former Lead Design Engineer), from Lotus to Porsche, Jan. 2014
Jose was not anywhere near head of aerodynamic design/lead design engineer, he is just an average designer. I hear it's the smallest loss of the team.
His personal Linkedin info:

Head of Aerodynamic Design
Porsche AG
2014 – current (less than a year)
LMP1 Project

Lotus F1 Team - Lead Design Engineer

May 2012 – December 2013 (1 year 8 months)Enstone
Aerodynamic Technology & Correlation
- Wind Tunnel Development
- 60% Model Development
- Responsible for developing new innovative design to improve tunnel/model simulation
- Collaboration with R&D and Full Size Car groups

McLaren F1 TeamSnr Design Engineer - Group Leader

McLaren F1 Team
2009 – 2011 (2 years)
Aerodynamic "Concept" Design MP4-25 / MP4-26
Snr Design Engineer - Team Leader

BMW Sauber F1 Team
2006 – 2009 (3 years)
F1 Aerodynamics:
Aerodynamic Design of F1.06 / F1.07 / F1.08 / pre-concepts F1.09
Mechanical Design Engineer

Holzer Gruppe (Opel DTM)
2003 – 2005 (2 years)
DTM Chassis Engineering:
Chassis Design of Opel Astra V8 Coupé / Vectra GTS V8

Designer
Toyota Motorsport GmbH
1998 – 2002 (4 jaar)
F1 Chassis Engineering:
Chassis Design of TF101 / TF102
I don't think average designers have such a resume. He is now Head at Posche I don't think the people at Weissach would hire an average engineer to take a head position in their aero group. But I could be wrong.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

lio007

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
lio007 wrote:
To Others:
To be honest, I have only posted what he published on his LinkedIn-account.

Crucial_Xtreme

kooleracer wrote:
His personal Linkedin info:

Head of Aerodynamic Design
Porsche AG
2014 – current (less than a year)
LMP1 Project

Lotus F1 Team - Lead Design Engineer

May 2012 – December 2013 (1 year 8 months)Enstone
Aerodynamic Technology & Correlation
- Wind Tunnel Development
- 60% Model Development
- Responsible for developing new innovative design to improve tunnel/model simulation
- Collaboration with R&D and Full Size Car groups

McLaren F1 TeamSnr Design Engineer - Group Leader

McLaren F1 Team
2009 – 2011 (2 years)
Aerodynamic "Concept" Design MP4-25 / MP4-26
Snr Design Engineer - Team Leader

BMW Sauber F1 Team
2006 – 2009 (3 years)
F1 Aerodynamics:
Aerodynamic Design of F1.06 / F1.07 / F1.08 / pre-concepts F1.09
Mechanical Design Engineer

Holzer Gruppe (Opel DTM)
2003 – 2005 (2 years)
DTM Chassis Engineering:
Chassis Design of Opel Astra V8 Coupé / Vectra GTS V8

Designer
Toyota Motorsport GmbH
1998 – 2002 (4 jaar)
F1 Chassis Engineering:
Chassis Design of TF101 / TF102
I don't think average designers have such a resume. He is now Head at Posche I don't think the people at Weissach would hire an average engineer to take a head position in their aero group. But I could be wrong.
None of that screams Head Of Aerodynamic design to me. His latest says his job is to improve tunnel model simulation. I'm not trying to argue here, and I wouldn't post something like I did if I didn't have it on good authority. I was told yesterday evening by someone intimate with the team exactly what I posted, he wasn't head of aerodynamic design and was your average engineer within the team. Again the source is well informed in the ongoings of said team.

@lio007 no worries mate, I was only posting something I was told. Great thread and keep up the good work.

shelly

Thw ambiguity comes from the word "design". From the resume, it seems that the guy was a cad operator that progressed up to becoming the head of the cad operators for the wind tunnel.
In many teams aerodynamic engineers have limited cad ability so each working group is composed by some aeros and some cad operators that translate the shapes into cad models (cfd engineers having a mix of the two skill sets).
The wt cad group is usually also repsonsible for the mechanical drwaings of the assembly of the windtunnel model.

Speaking of moving staff:

Raffaele Boschetti was responisble for IT at ferrari and has become advisor to the technical director at toro rosso
twitter: @armchair_aero

Gridlock

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/01/ ... 1-iceberg/
I thought I would look at some of the moves in recent months, only among the senior engineers that I can find out about.

lio007

Update of the initial post:
To RBR:
- Richard Mead, Aerodynamics Engineer (former Electronics Engineer), from Mercedes HPP to RBR, Jul. 2013
- Nick Gibbs, Trackside IT Support Engineer (former IT Analyst), from FI to RBR, Jul. 2013

To Lotus:
- Riccardo Barri, Senior Composite Design Engineer, from Ferrari to Lotus, Sep. 2013

To STR:
- Frederic Launoy, Senior CFD Aerodynamicist , from Lotus to STR, Jan. 2014

To FI:
- Jonathan Marshall, Head of Vehicle Science (former Simulator Engineer), from Lotus to FI, Jan. 2014

Kiril Varbanov

Announcement day at Williams, too http://www.f1technical.net/news/19052
Williams has announced a raft of new engineering signings for the new season with Jakob Andreasen moving across from Force India to become the team’s Head of Engineering Operations. Andreason was previously employed at McLaren. He will be joined by two Williams old boys Craig Wilson and Rod Nelson. Wilson has been at Mercedes in recent years and rejoins Williams as head of vehicle dynamics and Nelson, who has been at Lotus F1 team. he will be chief test and support engineer. The team’s Max Nightingale has been promoted to head of vehicle science. One name that has not been mentioned thus far is Ferrari’s Rob Smedley, who is supposed to be joining Williams.

“Williams is determined to make strong improvements in our competitiveness over the coming seasons and these new appointments continue our aggressive approach in recruiting some of the sport’s best talent,” said Williams’s Chief Technical Officer Pat Symonds. “We are also committed to allowing our existing talent to grow and showcase their skills in senior leadership roles. Our engineering team for the coming season is looking strong and I’m excited about what we can achieve moving forwards.”
Last edited by Steven on 15 Jan 2014, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link

lio007

Update of the initial post...lot of movings behind the scenes.

Some of them were already in the media, some of them were not.

To STR:
- Raffaele Boschetti, Technical Director Advisor (former ICT-A&IT Responsible), from Ferrari to STR, Jan. 2014
- Davide Felappi, Aerodynamics Team Leader, from FI to STR, Oct. 2013
- Paul Smart, Wind Tunnel R&D Engineer (former Aero Software Consultant), from Ferrari to STR, Jul. 2013
- Charlie Constant, Simulation Engineer (former Tyre Performance Analysis Engineer), from Michelin to STR, Dec. 2013
- Xevi Pujolar, Senior Race Engineer (former Chief Race Engineer), from Williams to STR, Jan. 2014

To Williams:
- Jakob Andreasen, Head of Engineering Operations, from FI to Williams, Jan. 2014
- Craig Wilson, Head of Vehicle Dynamics, from Mercedes to Williams, Jan. 2014
- Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer, from Lotus to Williams, Jan. 2014
- Greame Hackland, IT Director, from Lotus to Williams, Jan. 2014

To Mercedes:
- Craig Dear, Senior Aerodynamicist (former Aerodynamicist), from Williams to Mercedes, Jan. 2014
- Enrico Balbo, Aerodynamics Group Leader, from Williams to Mercedes, Jan. 2014

To Ferrari:
- Florian Puget, ERS Hybrid Systems Engineer (former KERS Hybrid Systems Enginner), from Mercedes HPP to Ferrari, Nov. 2013

To FI:
- James Knapton, Aero Data&Modelling Group Leader (former Head of Vehicle Dynamics), from Sauber to FI, Nov. 2013
- Michael Tramonto, Design Engineer-Aerodynamics (former Aero Surface Designer), from STR to FI, Jan. 2014
- Lawrence Wilkinson, Senior Control Systems Engineer (former Principal Control Engineer), from Mercedes to FI, Dec. 2013

To Others:
- Martin Norek, Vehicle Performance Engineer-Simulation (former Vehicle Dynamics Engineer), from Sauber to Audi, Sep. 2013
- Christopher Harley, Heaf of CFD-Aero (former Aerodynamicist), from FI to Wirth Research, Sep. 2013

To McLaren:
- Adam Painter, Composite Design Engineer (former Junior Composite Design Engineer), from FI to McLaren, Jan. 2014

To Marussia:
- Rob van den Heijkant, Aerodynamics Team Leader (former Senior Aerodynamicist), from FI to Marussia, Jan. 2014

Richard

Are you sure about the McLaren moves? I thought they poached a couple of people from RB?

lio007

richard_leeds wrote:Are you sure about the McLaren moves? I thought they poached a couple of people from RB?
TBH...I'm pretty sure, that my list or my updates are incomplete. It's hard to get a complete overview of hundreds of F1-engineers. I've only posted moves, that occured to me on LinkedIn.

I only know 2 RB-engineers apparently move to McLaren in 2015: Peter Prodromou and Dan Fallows

Ellis & Wood to Mercedes and Whitehead to Williams.

Are there any other engineers that have left or are going to leave RB?

marcush.

Rob Smedley to Williams ...

mclaren_mircea

What is happening to Mercedes?? If you look on these 2 pages of Moving Staff there is a lot of people who are leaving Mercedes for teams like Torro Rosso, Williams, Force India, and even Lotus. It's true that they took some people, but it almost parity between who comes and who goes to and from Mercedes.

Red Bull, Mclaren and Ferrari doesn't have so many people leaving their teams. From Mclaren only 2 (+Paddy Lowe in June), from Ferrari 3-4. From Red Bull 4 (2 to Mclaren 2 to Mercedes) but from Mercedes there are leaving aerorynamicists, designers, CDF and even a lot of people from HPP to Ferrari and teams who have Renault engines.

It's something broken if now when the technology of the engine is so important, that a lot of people from HPP (Brixworth) are leaving for Ferrari and even Lotus (+ remours than another chunck of peolple from HPP are already signed by Honda). Look just know I found another Mercedes man, Evangelos Arvanitakis, who was signed by Ferrari (this time an aerodynamicists).

They are bleeding, because you can't say that they left them go because, the F1 team (without HPP) has 550-560 people, and that is less than Red Bull and Mclaren (around 600-625people) and significantly less than Ferrari (650-700 people)

kooleracer

marcush. wrote:Rob Smedley to Williams ...
Andrew Murdoch is the new race engineer for Massa. That why here we deal with facts and not speculation.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."