Honda RA107

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
captainmorgan

It's nice that Honda are making a statement, and aligning themselves with a corporation like Google. But I would be extremely disappointed if this were actually a "words, not actions" kind of ploy. It seems the wrong direction given Honda and BAR's history in F1, and especially coming off a win last season.

G-Rock

Well, if there is money in environmentalism, then that honda will be the place to show it.

Maybe Al Gore get get his name on there to sell more books, movies etc, or Greepeace could put a seal pup on the rear wing so all those poor Russians will have to resort to Gore tex to keep them warm :shock:

As far a F1 as an environmental sport is concerned, I think it is very environmental.

1 Learning how to squeeze as much energy out of a litre of fuel has got to be positive

2 Most F1 fans watch races on TV and don't travel to many races as opposed to football, basketball, etc where people drive to almost a game a week all over any given country.
--------------------------------------------------------

joseff

@Manchild: This should be on the other thread. A Durex-Volvo F1! Now that's safety!

@mep: That's exactly why the back part of the car is black. They're prepared to have a blowup, making sure it won't smoke the 'earth'.

Scuderia_Russ

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56953

Maybe now some people will accept that they have to say some good about the F.I.A. I'm not gonna hold my breath though.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

monkeyboy1976

the myearthdream.com website is up and running.
Hasn't crashed yet, which is impressive.

monkeyboy1976

chasefreak

i have seen a lot of mixed reviews....but honestly this seems to be the way F1 is heading ... looks like Honda has taken the first step ..... so when the new engine rule kicks in Honda's sponsorship's will be right up there

Spencifer_Murphy

The cars emit around 1,500g of carbon dioxide per kilometre, which is almost nine times more than the amount of the average new road vehicle.
Oh right cause an F1 car racks up a similar mileage to an average road car each year? It may be a fact that they emmit 9times more CO2 than an average road car, but its also a fact that F1 as a sport in whole has a lower carbon foot print than Tennis or Golf!

You're always going to get uneducated and/or ill-informed backlash when a car company (green-junkies read: "the devil") makes a car with an "Eco-Friendly Theme". The car itself may not be that eco-friendly but offering to advertise a charity to work for the environment is bound to offset its pollution surely? Honda do something GOOD, and they get slated for it. the media is disgusting.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

G-Rock

These are the kinds of things that give environmentalists a bad name.

The fact that Honda is offering their car as advertising for environmental causes, should easily negate a few hundred tonnes of carbon emissions that they produce during a season, not to mention all of the engineers F1 trains to build better more efficient road cars. It's all about the big picture people!

Al Gore flies private jets to get to his "Inconvenient Truth" gigs but at least his gigs are enviro positive ones. It's not like he's flying half way around the world to build a bigger coal plant for instance. For such leaders to be constrained by pollution limits (to avoid hypocisy) would be like sending the commander in chief of a war off to to fight on the battlefield.

This is the kind of rhetoric that makes the right jump all over the libs and how stupid they think they are.

Environmentalists should think before they speak because they could be doing more harm then good.
--------------------------------------------------------

Saribro

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Oh right cause an F1 car racks up a similar mileage to an average road car each year?
www.mclaren.com wrote:Vodafone McLaren Mercedes...
-completed 53,750 kilometres when testing during 2006
-completed 16,349 kilometres when racing in 2006, including Practice, Qualifying and Races
I don't know about you, but it takes me ~2 years easily to get that kind of distance in my car, so it seems to be more or less similar milage considering this is for 2 cars.

Spencifer_Murphy

Fair enough Saribro :oops: , but like I said, its a fact that F1 has a lower carbon foot print than Tennis, Golf or Football.

A fact that I've read or hear about from more than just one source.

If Philip Morris is willing to spend so much on adverising on an F1 car whith so little exposure, surely F1's a good advertising arena? Then the "earth car" is a great adverisement for the environment, and a charity that should help ofset the damage it may be causing.

Furthermore at least this damage that it's causing is used for actually moving forward...most road cars spend an inordinate amount of time pumping CO2 into the atmosphere whilst standing still, stuck in traffic.

And it doesnt matter if the movement the cars are making is not actually getting people where they need to go, because after all its "just a sport", because Football, Tennis and Golf are all "just sports" with seeminly little importance (if you take that view that is) but they have larger carbon footprints, and its alright for THEM to pollute the atmosphere...but woe-betide anybody who tried to make their sport more environmentally friendly because it invoves cars...how can that EVER be environmentally friendly, forget the fact that in a years time F1 will become the ONLY sport on earth who is enlisting some of the best engineering brains on the planet to develop more economical technology, and thus make it cheaper and thus more feasible in road car technology.

Like I said, the majority of the media are just looking for somebody else to slag off...good news goesn't sell, but writing some ill-informed craps which obviously has no real research, and plugging in only ONE real statistic that paints a bleak picture, in order to slag off a company, its name, and what it's trying to do (lets face it, Honda have got some balls to do this, none of the others seem this keen) THAT SELLS.

Ah yes that's right, it SELLS, its all about the money, not reporting the unbiased truth. Now who's the hypocrite?

Sometime the media can be disgusting. Honda sould be appluaded for this, for making an effort, and taking the first step. BUT insted they get all their effort thrown back in their face. There's no pleasing some people.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

waynes

to be quite honest

its about time someone took a stance on global warming within motorsport

all credit to Honda for doing it. i for one want a better world for my children and if that means the sport that we love takes the lead in promoting green issues then fair play to them

max wont do --- all (exscuse my language) to promote it within F1 seriously so what hope have we got in other forms of motorsport

F1 is running unleaded fuel and christ it stinks to smell it but F1 is on the limit right now of becoming a joke. thats how strongly i feel about this

rant over

ss_collins

max wont do --- all (exscuse my language) to promote it within F1 seriously
No I can't say I agree with that, certainly the FIA has been encouraging all things green at least to the media. I know we had a piece from Peter Wright a couple of issues back on greener motorsport and that was not on our suggestion rather Peter came to us. I think the FIA are very aware of the issues facing the sport but the teams are too short sighted to realise or if they do other pressures force them to do the opposite to whats needed.

Honda I think are shouting too loudly too early especially when this snippet appeared on the FIA site 24 hours after the globecar appeared.
FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

With the agreement of all the competing teams, and subject to the agreement of the Formula One Commission, a number of amendments have been made to the 2007 sporting regulations.*

The following technical measures, originally scheduled for 2010, have been deferred to 2011 to coincide with the introduction of the new definitions for the engine:

A proportion of waste heat recovered and used to propel the car.
A proportion of waste energy from exhaust gases recovered and used to propel the car wholly or partially standardised aerodynamics (or, possibly, new rules to encourage road-relevant research into aerodynamics).
so the teams notably including Honda voted to put the greener cars back by a year I feel thats hypocritical as Honda could have forced them to come in in 2010.

Meanwhile on a more positive note - isn't it great to see an F1 car that looks a bit different to the rest. Time for a BMW art car I reckon...

Got a studio pic of that on my desk at work. Great thing.

Tom

http://motoring.aol.co.uk/drink-problem ... 1909990009 I've already mentioned how I loath this guy with a passion and it seemed appropritate that he responded with an article about F1. How much do you think he really knows about it?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Sawtooth-spike

All he is talking about is MPG. When Thats not always going to effect emission.

I skimed the artical, and i think he is one of these **** wits who belives they opinion is right. Who is he anyway? He write for AOL, so that clearly makes him not work reading. and he presents on pulling power..... a car show possibly worse than broom broom.

Next week we will ask Britney what she thinks, maybe she could have the same livery on her head.

Rant over. (bad day in the office)
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!