New twitter bbcode [tweet]

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
zoro_f1

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

LookBackTime wrote:OK. I will make everyone happy: I will not post anymore.
i was not asking not to post but to post with "img" tag with image link location inside the tag... that's all.

thanks
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

miguelalvesreis

zoro_f1 wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:OK. I will make everyone happy: I will not post anymore.
i was not asking not to post but to post with "img" tag with image link location inside the tag... that's all.

thanks
IT Forum this one? LookBackTime post work fine to me!

gridwalker

Ok, I have inspected the source generated by the forum and I think I have worked out why tweets aren't showing for some users.

The tweet feature data directly embeds data from twitter into a forum post using dynamic cross site scripting (also known as XSS), so the forum post itself technically contains no content for Tapatalk to display. As XSS is also used for some forms of hacking and virus propagation, mobile apps/virus checkers/ad blockers frequently prevent XSS code from running. Sometimes you get the option of whitelisting safe sites that you trust to run XSS code, but that is rare.

The reason why you can't post the tweets as images is because the text content, the user data and the links back to the original content on Twitter get lost (though a quick copypasta could do the job). Using the tweet function just means that it is less effort for an F1T member to provide their source.

Tapatalk hasn't really worked properly since we first discussed implementing it on this site 3 or 4 years ago. It doesn't surprise me that it still doesn't support all forum features. C'est la vie.

Back to the car now?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Steven
Owner

gridwalker wrote:Tapatalk hasn't really worked properly since we first discussed implementing it on this site 3 or 4 years ago. It doesn't surprise me that it still doesn't support all forum features. C'est la vie.
To be fair, tapatalk works very well. The quirks we had earlier were my fault and have been ironed out.

Trouble is that tapatalk is a mobile app designed to work with the standard forum systems. This means they do support our forum system, apart from the modifications that I have designed into them, including the voting system, tweets, news above the threads, etc. There's nothing we can do about that.

However, there is a future beyond tapatalk, as the next update of the forum system, and also this website (work is going on to get this done) will have a responsive layout, making it easier to browse the site on smaller screens. I know this is now difficult, especially on mobile phones.

zoro_f1

Re: New twitter bbcode [tweet]

@Steven what about ip.board software?
http://www.invisionpower.com/apps/board/
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Steven
Owner

Re: New twitter bbcode [tweet]

With IP.Board we would be ending up with the same problem, as extensions are not supported in tapatalk.

Anyway, phpbb is running reliably and the makers are well underway implementing some interesting improvements (which I'm contributing at as well). I don't think there's any reason to switch, apart from the fact that a large part of our code relies on framework stuff from phpbb.

gridwalker

Steven wrote:
gridwalker wrote:Tapatalk hasn't really worked properly since we first discussed implementing it on this site 3 or 4 years ago. It doesn't surprise me that it still doesn't support all forum features. C'est la vie.
To be fair, tapatalk works very well. The quirks we had earlier were my fault and have been ironed out.

Trouble is that tapatalk is a mobile app designed to work with the standard forum systems. This means they do support our forum system, apart from the modifications that I have designed into them, including the voting system, tweets, news above the threads, etc. There's nothing we can do about that.

However, there is a future beyond tapatalk, as the next update of the forum system, and also this website (work is going on to get this done) will have a responsive layout, making it easier to browse the site on smaller screens. I know this is now difficult, especially on mobile phones.
Please don't take what I've said as any kind of slight against you, your CMS, or the third party systems you have implemented. I was pretty damned tired when I wrote that, so I could have phrased it much more eloquently. I used to work as a Project Manager for these guys, so I know how troublesome ensuring feature compatibility can be!

I am looking forwards to the responsive layout. I do most of my browsing on mobile/tablet screens these days, so I am looking forwards to seeing how the format evolves (having been lurking/reading this site since almost the very beginning).
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."