whats wrong with the renault engines?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Daliracing

whats wrong with the renault engines?

Looking at the tests i seems that the renault teams are struggling, what could be the problem with these engines?

Ferraripilot

Re: whats wrong with the renault engines?

My guess is heat. Red Bull's only runs were completed with larger vented sidepods than their launch sidepods.

Daliracing

are they really larger? i tougth is was an ERS problem but i'm not sure. i guess w'ill here more soon

zonk

Having delved a little deeper into the Renault problem, it appears thankfully for fans of their teams that the issue is not one of fundamental design. There seems to have been a problem in the batch of crankshafts manufactured for the engines produced for the tests. For those less technically minded, the crankshaft is a rod which translates the up and down motion from the pistons into a rotational motion which eventually turns the wheels.
Source: http://thejudge13.com/2014/01/28/f1-tes ... -revealed/

Bredd

Renault are having a press conference at 5pm

rssh

Renault wanted presence and they got one, please don't screw the power unit before it is frozen this time RENAULT.

bonjon1979

Bredd wrote:Renault are having a press conference at 5pm
Do you know where we can watch it?

muhammad-13

Seems Like Mercedes have got '100 HP' more in RELIABILITY rather than POWER.

Pup
Pup

Yeah, I read about the crankshaft issue yesterday over at tj13, but didn't know if it was real since they were the only ones reporting it. I guess it is. That sort of screws the first test for them and their teams.

autogyro

Crankshaft, hmm, well I suppose it could be.
I expected more fundamental cooling issues with the Renault powertrain.

Pup
Pup

Well let's hope it's not the crankshaft AND the ERS.

dans79

bad cranks? How do you mess up an entire batch of crank shafts? for what these engines cost they should have 10 levels of quality control to make sure that doesn't happen.
197 104 103 7

flynfrog

dans79 wrote:bad cranks? How do you mess up an entire batch of crank shafts? for what these engines cost they should have 10 levels of quality control to make sure that doesn't happen.
10 levels of QA wont fix an incorrect heat treat on a drawing or a missed tolerance

It happens this is the first time these engines have been run outside of the dyno the sky probably inst falling yet.

dans79

flynfrog wrote:
dans79 wrote:bad cranks? How do you mess up an entire batch of crank shafts? for what these engines cost they should have 10 levels of quality control to make sure that doesn't happen.
10 levels of QA wont fix an incorrect heat treat on a drawing or a missed tolerance

It happens this is the first time these engines have been run outside of the dyno the sky probably inst falling yet.
what are they saying was wrong with the heat treatment specifically? Testing that a part has reached the proper hardness for example is a trivial task. I know people who have the tool needed for it in their home workshops.
197 104 103 7