Mandatory Damage Warning

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Shrieker

Mandatory Damage Warning

First of all, if a similar topic have been started before, apologies. I did a quick googling and it seems like this subject wasn't discussed before.

Hamilton's test day 1 crash got me thinking on this once more. I've had this thought pop in my head time and again, having played Geoff Crammond's GP series all those years ago. Simply, you had a graphical representation in the cockpit warning you of any damage received. If you lost your front/rear wing or had a puncture, you could see it in the display right away.

What if the FIA mandated a damage warning system similar to what was in the game ? We already know teams run wires through front wings for aero purposes for example. You could run similar wiring through the rear wing as well. Teams monitor tire data all the time, so displaying a tire failure/explosion instantly in the cockpit shouldn't be much of a problem. Additionally, wiring could be run through the suspension arms so the driver could make the distinction between a tire/suspension failure (if that would be of any help to the driver). They already have cables to prevent wheels from detaching in a crash, so there's another thought. Bib/stay is another vulnerable yet very important part for cornering (remember Hamilton sailing straight in Melbourne practice last year ?) Such a system could be implemented cheaply, but with a high potential to prevent nasty crashes.

I've seen rear or front wings declare independence more than a couple of times over the years, and it seems counter intuitive to me to not have a damage warning display in the cockpit with the plethora of sensors already available on these cars.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

F1NAC

Re: Mandatory Damage Warning

Don't they have race engineer for that? an all that screens on pitwall? I think it is not necessary, where would you put graphics, their wheels are already full of buttons,this would just be too much.

flynfrog

Jersey Tom

F1NAC wrote:Don't they have race engineer for that?
Probably quite a few engineers, looking at everything imaginable. From live video feed to engine to tires, handling characteristics, you name it.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Pup
Pup

When the front wing comes off, I wonder how that warning will read?

"Warning: steering and braking systems are non-operational. Please proceed to the nearest barrier."

PhillipM

:lol:

Shrieker

Pup wrote:When the front wing comes off, I wonder how that warning will read?

"Warning: steering and braking systems are non-operational. Please proceed to the nearest barrier."
If it detaches in the middle of the straight with some way to go before the braking zone, you'd want to know immediately if you were the driver. I've seen more than a couple of occasions where a simply designed instant warning could've prevented crashes. Alonso in Sepang 2013, Hamilton just last week to name a few, off the top of my head. Other examples could be given easily.
Jersey Tom wrote:
F1NAC wrote:Don't they have race engineer for that?
Probably quite a few engineers, looking at everything imaginable. From live video feed to engine to tires, handling characteristics, you name it.
"Hey Nando, your rear wing has flown off - oh wait, you're already in the barriers" -..-

Engineers see everything yes. But I'm talking about automated instant warning for the driver...
F1NAC wrote:where would you put graphics, their wheels are already full of buttons,this would just be too much.
Nothing to worry about, they already have a hefty sized LCD this season. It could be programmed to instantly revert to warning mode when something breaks.

Have a look at this
Forza wrote: Image
stefan_ wrote:A good view of the display Ferrari are using on the steering wheel.

Last edited by Shrieker on 03 Feb 2014, 18:53, edited 3 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

turbof1

IMO I think giving a warning when something already failed like in Hamilton's is too little too late. The driver will know the cause of why the brakes aren't working, but there's nothing he can do about it. I even think it's redundant; surely an F1 driver will feel it when he lost his front wing? The lost of of df plus the wing bumping underneath the wheels should be a clear signal. But even so: at that point you are but a mere passenger. There is nothing you could do earlier or better; you'll hit the brakes hard and hope for the best.

The same can be said about the suspension. I'm sure many people remember this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tqqGYIdWzE[/youtube]

I have a feeling that a "possible suspension damage" warning light isn't needed when you have pieces of it in your cockpit.

It would have much more meaning (but is also unfortunaly much more difficult) to have systems that can accurately measure if something like a front wing is about to fail. Say that the pylon starts to crack, a sensor picks it up and warns the driver over the display.
Last edited by turbof1 on 03 Feb 2014, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
#AeroFrodo

Phillyred

Yes, some sort of graphical display for structural integrity could be integrated on many parts of the car and "woven" into many of the carbon fiber parts of the car. Almost like if there is a "break" in the "continuity" of said system like a fuse or general circuit. Could be worth looking into in the future. Most all critical parts on the car could be included.

Pup
Pup

turbof1 wrote:I'm sure many people remember this...
One of the most comedic failures in F1 history. How could we forget? :lol:

Shrieker

Yes, I agree that drivers usually know when they've lost something. But for that odd occasion where they don't or can't make sure what's exactly wrong, an instant warning could come in very handy.
I never watched any of those movies :wink:
-Atatürk

turbof1

Shrieker wrote:Yes, I agree that drivers usually know when they've lost something. But for that odd occasion where they don't or can't make sure what's exactly wrong, an instant warning could come in very handy.
But how exactly will this be handy? If something gives way and which will result in a crash, then how will this give the driver extra protection and ability to act better on the situation?

I agree that when the situation isn't as catastrophic it could perhaps hold some value, but teams ussually have that covered already.

IMO the point of view you are coming from is correct, but you place it on the wrong timeline: the driver should be warned before it goes really wrong, instead of when something went wrong already. The warning light should give a heads up when the structural integrity of a part is weakened.
#AeroFrodo

rjsa

If it detaches in the middle of the straight with some way to go before the braking zone, you'd want to know immediately if you were the driver. I've seen more than a couple of occasions where a simply designed instant warning could've prevented crashes. Alonso in Sepang 2013, Hamilton just last week to name a few, off the top of my head. Other examples could be given easily.
Believe me, they know it went south before you see it detaching on the TV. It's just that there is nothing to do about it.

Shrieker

Warning in advance would be better yes, but I can't really see how such a system could be homologated since every team designs and manufactures parts of their own. Not to mention the amount of r&d it would take to make such a system work reliably. It is the way to go for the future though.
-Atatürk

rjsa

An then there is the fact that drivers won't stop no matter what.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SmrV-FFC1w[/youtube]