whats wrong with the renault engines?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
turbof1

Re: whats wrong with the renault engines?

Pingguest wrote:In that Autosport article it is said that during the engine freeze, 95% of all engine parts were revised. Could anyone explain to me how this was possible? I thought that while the engine was homologated, all engines had to be same to reference unit.
Well, the V8 era wasn't entirely an engine freeze. They had the whole of 2006 to freely develop the engine.

And of course Renault got an excemption at one point.
#AeroFrodo

Juzh

turbof1 wrote:
Pingguest wrote:In that Autosport article it is said that during the engine freeze, 95% of all engine parts were revised. Could anyone explain to me how this was possible? I thought that while the engine was homologated, all engines had to be same to reference unit.
Well, the V8 era wasn't entirely an engine freeze. They had the whole of 2006 to freely develop the engine.

And of course Renault got an excemption at one point.
Ferrari also got an exception in 2010 when they were allowed to modify their pneumatic valves and their air consumption problems. There were reports of 13bhp being gained in the process.

CBeck113

AMuS just reported that the idea has been dropped in their ticker:
"Wir haben übrigens schlechte Nachrichten für alle Vettel-Fans. Die Formel 1-Strategie-Gruppe hat die Anträge abgelehnt. Es gibt keinen Aufschub der Homologationsfrist. Und es gibt keine doppelten Punkte in den letzten 3 Rennen."
We have bad news for Vettel fans. The F1 Strategie Group renounced the requests. There will be no extension of the homoligation limit. And there will be no double points at the last three races.

:D
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Touristas

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/09/16/f ... s-in-2014/

Renault Sport F1 deputy managing director (technical) Bob White said: “A multi-year specification freeze is not really where we think the balance should be.”

“But equally, it shouldn’t be a development free-for-all that would make the necessary investment unaffordable. We’re heading towards year-on-year tightening restrictions and we think that’s a prudent and responsible approach.”

The FIA’s plan for freezing development of the engines calls for 8% of power unit components by weight to be frozen in development by 2015. That will rise to 23% in 2016, 35% in 2018 and 95% the year after that.''

So,It's not set in stone on Monday...Renault could change 92% of the engine during the year.

Is this correct?

gandharva

iotar__ wrote:
gandharva wrote:AMUS reports that Renault officially denied rumors about extension of engine homologation.
This one didn't last long. Amus reported something that wasn't true? (technically or in essence)
LOL, yes. AMUS Live Ticker reported dementi. Now there is an AMUS article up that states the other teams disagreed with the extension. :mrgreen:

turbof1

Yes, but what they develop can only be implemented in the succeeding year. So the engine they develop until today, is the one they are normally stuck with a full year.
#AeroFrodo

rjsa

Touristas wrote:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/09/16/f ... s-in-2014/

Renault Sport F1 deputy managing director (technical) Bob White said: “A multi-year specification freeze is not really where we think the balance should be.”

“But equally, it shouldn’t be a development free-for-all that would make the necessary investment unaffordable. We’re heading towards year-on-year tightening restrictions and we think that’s a prudent and responsible approach.”

The FIA’s plan for freezing development of the engines calls for 8% of power unit components by weight to be frozen in development by 2015. That will rise to 23% in 2016, 35% in 2018 and 95% the year after that.''

So,It's not set in stone on Monday...Renault could change 92% of the engine during the year.

Is this correct?
I'd say that covers the free development period between seasons. In season is reliability upgrade by request only.

rjsa

EDIT: Replaced picture, that one was bad, old stuff.
Last edited by rjsa on 28 Feb 2014, 23:18, edited 2 times in total.

scottracing

Oh dear. And the caterham has the least tight packaging. I look forward to hearing what caused this failure.

kevski

scottracing wrote:Oh dear. And the caterham has the least tight packaging. I look forward to hearing what caused this failure.
That photo is from Singapore 2010 IIRC (back when they were Lotus).

turbof1

Which also features a cosworth engine...
#AeroFrodo

Sebp

No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

ChrisF1

kevski wrote:
scottracing wrote:Oh dear. And the caterham has the least tight packaging. I look forward to hearing what caused this failure.
That photo is from Singapore 2010 IIRC (back when they were Lotus).
They had Tune sponsorship on the sidepods and were a very different shade of green. Not 2010 at all.

R_Redding

ChrisF1 wrote:.
They had Tune sponsorship on the sidepods and were a very different shade of green. Not 2010 at all.
The original photo placed was from 2010

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 86x590.jpg

The initial post has been edited .

Rob

rjsa

I did write down there that I replaced the picture when I did it, added a big red edit there now too.