Brake/throttle travel distance?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
aj85

Brake/throttle travel distance?

I searched for it here but I really couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Nor did I find it on the web...

Does anyone know if there is, and what the standard brake/throttle travel distance is on a F1 car nowadays. I understand that it most likely is driver preference. I did find something where Murray Walker said brake travel distance is about a inch (2.54cm) in a McLaren, but nothing about throttle travel distance.

I sure appriciate if there is someone with knowledge in this!

simieski

Re: Brake/throttle travel distance?

aj85 wrote:I searched for it here but I really couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Nor did I find it on the web...

Does anyone know if there is, and what the standard brake/throttle travel distance is on a F1 car nowadays. I understand that it most likely is driver preference. I did find something where Murray Walker said brake travel distance is about a inch (2.54cm) in a McLaren, but nothing about throttle travel distance.

I sure appriciate if there is someone with knowledge in this!
I'm pretty certain its around 10mm brake pedal travel and about an inch for throttle pedal movement, was in an article I read last night that I can't for the life of my find right now.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Jersey Tom

I would say general preference is to have brake travel be as small as practical in race cars. Throttle travel and linearity could be strongly driver dependent.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Kiril Varbanov

At least in old Renault V10 cars it was about 3 cm. But as Tom said, it could be customized per driver's preference.

More from Mauro Piccoli, chief of Brembo's racing department:
Alonso stomps on the pedal harder and generates more pressure on the system, we are talking of a pedal pressure in the 130-140kg range (+/-285-310lbs). It's similar to figures for Lewis or Jenson but Fernando is less aggressive. He likes to use a large diameter pump with a very short pedal. Pedal travel is in the order of 30-40mm, three and a half times that of the pump. Felipe prefers to manage lower pressures but as far as corner entry, there are no great differences.

Older info,somewhat related:
''Some drivers choose a different kind of pumping on brakes,'' said Vitaly Petrov, a driver at the Lotus Renault team. ''For example, we know that Fernando [Alonso] likes soft brakes, and some drivers like stiff brakes. I prefer to have very stiff brakes because I feel more in control of the locking in the rear and the front. This is why I can't drive with soft brakes, because maybe my left foot is too strong.''

aj85

My god, so many good replies and so fast, got to visit this place more often =D>

simieski: if you do manage to find it again, I'd be very interested to have a look at it.

neilbah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-FxxZcAJo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW3-C-0ny_g
other examples available but not sure what kind of travel they are doing in the more recent times

edit heres a vid of hrt where he gives some info
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1-Nlmx19Z0

Lycoming

Not quite related, but it's mentioned here that a Honda LMP1 has much longer pedal travel on the throttle than a road car to make it easier to modulate. Would presume F1 cars are similar.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/raci ... -3-roa1013

bill shoe

Most production car throttle pedals have travel in the 2 to 2.5 inch range, so 50-65 mm. Really powerful race cars would need at least that much to modulate the strong engines.

marcush.

Brake Pedal feel is very important to the driver ,it was a Big issue for the Teams when mmc was banned and caliper and Installation stiffness was reduced . A good Portion of brake Pedal Travel is lost there .also its Not only stiffness but also friction Stick Slip Effects have a Major Impact on modulation and feel so its Not only about Traveldistance.
You are Limited by human physical comfort when it comes to increasing Pedal Travel as you might Need to bend your ankle too extremly -so it dös Not really Pay off to increase Pedal Travel .in the ol days You also had to Respekt relative heights of throttle and brake Pedal to allow Heel and toe (Even if this dös not really the correctly describe what you actually did on downshift synchs)