Voting system updates - Call for suggestions

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
shelly

Re: Voting system updates - Call for suggestions

IIRC we have had some F1 engineers logged to this forum (SLC, ImanEngineer...), and most of the times they are easy to recognize, then there are professional motorsport engineers not in F1 like JT, DaveW or gixxer_drew.
twitter: @armchair_aero

donskar

My post was aimed at those who don't know or don't care about the difference between "I think/believe/IMO" and bald declarations of (specious) fact. This forum's technical credibility is NOT enhanced by those who claim that Ferrari's aerodynamicists don't know what they are doing, that Gary Anderson (a REAL F1 engineer, right?) is an idiot; nor am I impressed by those who extrapolate from one photograph of a front wing that a car's aerodynamic approach is all wrong.

I mean no personal attack, so I eschew direct quotes, but I think many of you know what I mean. What do I suggest? I am impressed by "the flow vis on the front wing suggests that the team is trying to direct air inside the tires rather than outside; that would help cooling." I am unimpressed by "The front wing is far too simple. This car is hopeless."
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Pup
Pup

gilgen wrote:And why have you not as yet been snapped up by a team? :P :P
One of life's great mysteries. :D

SectorOne

Steven wrote:Secondly, I wish to point out that I believe, like several others here as well, that the voting system (or rating system as it should probably be renamed to) has already proven its worth
I find that interesting how some can see that.

All i see is this,

Big group of negative rating people, some to the point where they actually don´t give a f*ck and actually try to chase downvotes.

Big group (including myself) that has probably 75% of their votes being "i agree" upvotes.

Big threads which acts as a upvote heaven. Need upvotes? Go post images of time attack cars or engines.
Give it a month and you too can fool new people into thinking you are a direct descendant of Einstein himself.

Big discussions where the voting factor is determined by how many people agree on either side of the fence which results in one person getting lots of upvotes and the other gets bombed. (even though the bombed guy might be right)

-
Another way to solve things like other forums does is to simply have a moderator that´s managing the idiots that are reported through the flag system.

If he can´t do all of the work, get one more onboard.

I think that if there´s one thing that will drag this forum to the ground it´s the voting system.
The fact that you now have plans to make it even more complex and stupid is baffling.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

bhall

What about a system whereby posts display a medal of sorts based upon the net total of votes received instead of displaying the net total itself?

x-votes = bronze
y-votes = silver
z-votes = gold

The number of votes required for such recognition could vary depending on the forum in question. As such, posts in non-technical forums could require more votes than those in technical forums so that only particularly salient non-technical posts would be recognized.

If members absolutely must have ratings, the same medal system could be applied there, too. Otherwise, I'd probably just ditch that part altogether.

tok-tokkie

One way around all this is to cancel the voting system and delete the existing ratings of everyone. Then Steven & the moderators award points to users as they see fit. The site belongs to them & they can rate users as they judge their value to this board. Benign or Oppressive Dictators; as they choose. Sure they will offend some users = just the ones they wish to discourage.

hollus

SectorOne wrote:
Steven wrote:Secondly, I wish to point out that I believe, like several others here as well, that the voting system (or rating system as it should probably be renamed to) has already proven its worth
I find that interesting how some can see that.

All i see is this,

Big group of negative rating people, some to the point where they actually don´t give a f*ck and actually try to chase downvotes.

Big group (including myself) that has probably 75% of their votes being "i agree" upvotes...
You joined in 2013, when the voting system had been in place for a while. While I agree that the system has some obvious warts, if you are interested, make a quick experiment. Go and read random threads from 2009-2010-2011 (many are great, BTW). Go to threads from testing seasons, for extra effect. And if afterwards you still come here and say that the voting system hasn't enacted a subtle change towards civilized behavior, I'll take my hat off and say that you formed your opinion based on evidence. But one must compare the before and after to do that.
Rivals, not enemies.

garygph

The only real change I would like to see is two categories to vote the post on. One is its technical merit/value and the other because you thought it was funny/just liked it/agreed/chuffed fanboy. That way we could see what the poster is getting upvoted for. For eg. Shelly (amongst others) would have a very high technical score.

kalinka

garygph wrote:The only real change I would like to see is two categories to vote the post on. One is its technical merit/value and the other because you thought it was funny/just liked it/agreed/chuffed fanboy. That way we could see what the poster is getting upvoted for. For eg. Shelly (amongst others) would have a very high technical score.

If you have to change it, i vote for this one. It's simple, easy to understand, and will not change the forum significantly.

- And yes, please make the "view first unread post" button bigger. It's a pain in the a** to tap on it on mobile devices.

Brian.G

I think that the votes should apply to the thread and the thread content as a whole, much like a rating system, and not to any actual member. Actually, come to think of it - is the little grey circle after the thread title a rating, or the amount of up votes within the thread given to the thread starter?

Either way, I think just to up-vote a thread would do, and not get too personal with the up/down votes in ref to each particular person.

I feel in my case anyway if someone says something 'dull' or in the line of BS Ill just ignore it, but remember it subconsciously for future posts if he/she forms a pattern of acting the maggot.

If its a racist thing then let the mods clip it.

Im sure we all read some BS everyday, we are able to ignore without doing anything right?

Of course, if someone really says something foolish you can always reply to them, but, its worth keeping in mind the old saying of 'once a fool, always a fool '.

Brian,
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will

strad

I've been here pre and post voting, and I have seen nothing to change my opinion. I think it adds nothing.
I tend to agree with most of what SectorOne says. However,,,Having run my own site,,and having dealt with a few dictatorial owners,, hell I've even accused Steven,,,but that said,,,I'm thinking tok-tokkie may be onto something.
WHo cares what member X thinks of member Y ?
Let the boss say who is of value to his site and who isn't.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

fawe4

I've no opinion on upvoting, but downvoting and hiding posts is a bit drastic to me. By itself it is somewhat informative, but I see no need for hiding posts.

You have moderators for cases where posts need to be removed, so leave it at their power, do not extend it to regular users.

strad

yep!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

coaster

Ever since you guys introduced reputation power, I've avoided this site like the plague, which roughly coincided with F1 having all it brass and noise choked of in 2006. Lift your game!

SidSidney

I got downvoted today, probably by a humourless, unwashed virgin with an itchy trigger finger from playing too much COD.

Just saying: there are many reasons to vote, not all of them rational or good. Help me prove that by upvoting this post! :D

EDIT:

Drat! Voting is switched off in this thread!
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-
16S75 13E7K 41C53 7CT23 14O5O 67R32 76175 90B67 L4L42 41O63 72W56 98M10 52E87