whats wrong with the renault engines?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WillerZ

Re: whats wrong with the renault engines?

I'm glad you enjoyed that ;-) It wasn't meant entirely seriously…

@FoxHound I know the cycling stuff because I am an enthusiastic amateur cyclist who's trying to move into racing. I'm starting my first race next Saturday. The W/Kg number is from a table in the book "Training and Racing with a Power Meter", anecdotally corroborated by being approximately what my "threshold" W/Kg is. I researched the tyres because I had heard there were significant differences; obviously I now have Conti GP 4000S on my race bike and I'm hoping the opposition hasn't done their homework. Some of the other tyres are more than 50% worse, nothing anyone independent has tested has ever been better.

Cat legs are very different to human legs: the bits you can see are basically the shin and the foot, what looks like a backwards knee on the hind legs is actually the ankle. Consequently they can't really do the piston-like pumping motion require to pedal a bicycle. Front legs are no better, and considerably weaker.

The least scientific thing in my post is the cat training remark, which is entirely anecdotal. In 10 years we've never managed to train our cat to do anything, although he has trained us quite extensively. The only way we have found to make him look trained is to guess what he is about to do; shout that at him; then hope that the shouting hasn't put him off his plans.

Gridlock

WillerZ wrote:The only way we have found to make him look trained is to guess what he is about to do; shout that at him; then hope that the shouting hasn't put him off his plans.
I hope you named him Kimi..

lio007

interesting interview: maybe it will take them 3-5 GP's to be in shape of winning a GP, but in Melbourne absolutely not possible.
http://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/5 ... en-GP.html

PlatinumZealot

It looks like the 20 week claim is turning out to be prophetic.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

marcush.

I understand there are a Lot of options to Run the current powertrains but how come Renault Managed to validate Maps that do Not work for any of their teams ?
and why are they säure they can developer and validate New Maps on the very Same dynos which led to unusable Equipment only a few Weeks ago?
I fear it will Take quite a Long Time to reel in on the competitors edge and be in Position to Win on Merit Speed not circumstances.

Gridlock

It's 2009 again then... Right down to Brackley needing to bank as much as possible as early as possible...

All we need now is to discover this year's DDD (diffuser, not the reddit term for Lotus' design....)

basti313

marcush. wrote:I understand there are a Lot of options to Run the current powertrains but how come Renault Managed to validate Maps that do Not work for any of their teams ?
They had everything on the dyno without the gearbox and a real exhaust. With this two things the turbo and so the MGU H were doing different things than expected...this led to the wastegate and with the wastegate they had to start again.
marcush. wrote: and why are they säure they can developer and validate New Maps on the very Same dynos which led to unusable Equipment only a few Weeks ago?
I don't know...I think they can solve some problems with their simulated gearbox, so that is is more like the real gearbox....but I think they will have to do a lot of work just on the basis of the data from the race weekends.
marcush. wrote: I fear it will Take quite a Long Time to reel in on the competitors edge and be in Position to Win on Merit Speed not circumstances.
They will be competitive within this season, but I am not sure if they can ever catch up the advantages of track specific PU settings Merc and Ferrari will gain while they are still solving basic issues...this will be a disadvantage for years regarding the drivability and fuel management.
Don`t russel the hamster!

rich1701

So Renault are confident in their hardware. It's simply a software issue. Is that really to be believed?

Gridlock

Sure, it's a software issue that snaps driveshafts :lol:

(I mean, it is, but it's not like software exists in isolation)

Blackout

They're confident in their hardware but they never excluded the fact that they will need to ask the FIA for some permissions to modifiy their power unit.

PlatinumZealot

rich1701 wrote:So Renault are confident in their hardware. It's simply a software issue. Is that really to be believed?
I think it 40% software 60% hardware.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

beelsebob

n smikle wrote:
rich1701 wrote:So Renault are confident in their hardware. It's simply a software issue. Is that really to be believed?
I think it 40% software 60% hardware.
98.365% number picked out of ass.

gridwalker

Gridlock wrote:Sure, it's a software issue that snaps driveshafts :lol:

(I mean, it is, but it's not like software exists in isolation)
Badly designed, corrupt or poorly configured software can cause massive damage when connected to high performance machinery, particularly when that machinery operates under high velocity rotation.

For an extreme example, just take the effects of Stuxnet; a nasty little virus designed to affect the industrial controllers used by the centrifuges in Iran's nuclear programme. Just by modulating the frequency of rotation in the centrifuge (either increasing to the point where the structure resonated itself to destruction or slowing to the point where the centrifuges became unstable, toppled from their axis and damaged the drive train) this software managed to physically destroy thousands of pieces of heavy industrial equipment.

Compared to that, snapping a driveshaft doesn't seem like such a big deal.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Gridlock

Weirdly P5 centrifuge rotors and f1 driveshafts are made of the same material.

autogyro

Gridlock wrote:Weirdly P5 centrifuge rotors and f1 driveshafts are made of the same material.
Ooooooh, computer virus then ;-)