whats wrong with the renault engines?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pup
Pup

Re: whats wrong with the renault engines?

New Renault interview...

http://www.racer.com/index.php/f1/item/ ... full-power

I don't think this is the first time Renault have said that the teams can now run with full power...
Renault's Formula 1 teams have been given the all-clear to run their engines at full power in the Australian Grand Prix this weekend.

The French car manufacturer's power units have had to run in a de-tuned specification so far to ensure reliability amid the teething troubles it suffered in pre-season testing. But with software modifications to address its problems having delivered improvements on the dyno since the last test in Bahrain, Renault is now confident enough about the state of its equipment to allow its engines to run unleashed.
But this is the first time I've heard them say that their "main problem" was controlling engine knock. Maybe the "knock" they're referring to is the bits of driveshaft rattling around...
"The main issues we had with power units was due to the nature of how we control the engine and the boost pressure, and how we manage knock, basically – which is the step to gain some more performance from this kind of engine," he said.
I hadn't heard this before, but it makes sense...
There have been suggestions that the Renault-engined cars might not be able to complete proper race starts because of the pre-season problems, but Taffin is confident all the French manufacturer's cars will be able to take off from the grid in Melbourne.

"We will be OK to do some starts [from the grid]," he confirmed. "We've seen some good [practice] ones [in testing], it's consistency we need.

"If you look back at the start of the V8s, you had some very bad starts from some of the teams at the start of the year, so bad starts are related to the car system itself, which the power unit is part of.

"There are plenty of configurations. Eventually, we will find one that works."
I suspect we'll see some Renault powered cars qualifying well, then getting left behind either at the start or in the early laps.

Harsha

Pup wrote:New Renault interview...
But this is the first time I've heard them say that their "main problem" was controlling engine knock. Maybe the "knock" they're referring to is the bits of driveshaft rattling around...
"The main issues we had with power units was due to the nature of how we control the engine and the boost pressure, and how we manage knock, basically – which is the step to gain some more performance from this kind of engine," he said.
I hadn't heard this before, but it makes sense...
Excuse me for a noob question but What is a Engine Knock??

rjsa

Detonation, mixture exploding ahead of time, before the spark, due to compression heat.

gandharva

Harsha wrote:Excuse me for a noob question but What is a Engine Knock??
Wikipedia is pleased to help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

basti313

Harsha wrote: Excuse me for a noob question but What is a Engine Knock??
It is in this case a too early self ignition coming from compression and temperature in the engine, which will destroy the engine. Obviously they had everything together on the dyno, but in reality temperatures and pressures were different.
When the engine is knocking you have to inject later, which costs filling and thus power and fuel efficiency.
Last edited by basti313 on 13 Mar 2014, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Pup
Pup

gandharva wrote:
Awwww. They mentioned the SAAB APC. Now I'm all nostalgic. :cry:

Gridlock

"We will be OK to do some starts [from the grid]," he confirmed. "We've seen some good [practice] ones [in testing], it's consistency we need.
So Mercedes engines could be 2 laps up by lap 2, is what Mr Horner meant? Doesn't sound very promising.

What 'race start' practice opportunities exist between now and Sunday? You can't do them from the pitlane any more, right? New regs.

Harsha

rjsa wrote:Detonation, mixture exploding ahead of time, before the spark, due to compression heat.
gandharva wrote:
basti313 wrote:
Harsha wrote: Excuse me for a noob question but What is a Engine Knock??
It is in this case a too early self ignition coming from compression and temperature in the engine, which will destroy the engine. Obviously they had everything together on the dyno, but in reality temperatures and pressures were different.
When the engine is knocking you have to inject later, which costs filling and thus power and fuel efficiency.
Thanks for the Info Guys.

Sombrero

Saab did also some interesting research with the Saab Variable Compression (SVC) engine.

http://www.spannerhead.com/2013/03/13/i ... on-engine/

gandharva

The sound of the Renault engines, especially on the RedBull imho is completely different now to what we heard at testing. Very dull and very low revs I'd say...

ChrisF1

Gridlock wrote:
So Mercedes engines could be 2 laps up by lap 2, is what Mr Horner meant? Doesn't sound very promising.

What 'race start' practice opportunities exist between now and Sunday? You can't do them from the pitlane any more, right? New regs.
I saw Massa, Raikkonen and Alonso all stop at the end of the pitlane. Unfortunately the director cut away every time (except on Kimi's where he couldn't engage 1st) so no evidence but I cannot think of any other reason why they would stop there.

As for the supposed slow starts by Renault engines - I think Mark Webber got out at the right time!

myurr

Gridlock wrote:So Mercedes engines could be 2 laps up by lap 2, is what Mr Horner meant? Doesn't sound very promising.
It was also typical Horner bullsh*t.

SectorOne

Gridlock wrote:So Mercedes engines could be 2 laps up by lap 2, is what Mr Horner meant? Doesn't sound very promising.
And not realistic when you think about the fact that in order for Mercedes to be 2 laps up by lap 2 they would have to lap over a minute per lap faster then everyone else.

I doubt he said that. More like 2 laps ahead at the end of the GP.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"