F1 Tracks

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
timbo

Re: F1 Tracks

SiLo wrote:Anyone fancy mocking up a circuit of the best parts from some tracks throughout the calendar? If so, I submit Eau Rouge, Pouhon, Malaysia 1st turn after the Istanbul straight and Parabolica. Anyone care to add to that?
Actually Magny-Cours was designed by this approach. The corner names (Adelaide, Estoril, Imola) are direct references to the tracks the corresponding corner was taken from. Turns out the result was not the best track overtaking or spectacle-wise :roll:

Most corners are brilliant because they are in the right context, and the context evolves as the time passes. You may read how drivers consider Eau-Rouge "easy" now (that may hopefully change this year) and the Pouhon is more exciting. However, if the entry speed is too low, Pouhon would be boring, and if it is too high, the drivers will have normal braking and that will change the character of the corner too. Turns 1-3 in Sepang work as brilliantly because of the elevation changes troughout, and the open line to the 4-5. Also, if a particularly exciting corner is taken from what is a low-DF circuit and pasted into a circuit which turns out to be high-DF, it will not be as much of a challenge.
IMO if only one corner is taken out, chances are it will be just that -- "a corner" with no character.

I think it is not needed to reinvent same corners again. I think it is possible today to generate a few possible layouts on a given terrain and test them on a decent simulator to produce a general idea of how track turns out and possibly make some corrections to the design.

Unc1eM0nty

Did Tilke design Austin ? I am a fan of that track, the steep first corner and the esses that follow are as good as any new track out there.

I agree with whats been said above about gradients, they not only make the track look better but offer much more of a challenge to the drivers, blind crests, down hill off camber corners, make divers work.

Hate the massive run off areas as well, drivers don't get punished for making a mistake anymore.

beelsebob

Unc1eM0nty wrote:Did Tilke design Austin ?
Yes he did, and I agree, it's a great track.

Richard

I thought the Austin layout was sketched by the promotor on a napkin then given to Tilke for construction detailing? There's a picture of the sketch in the original construction thread.

Töm87

Herrman Tilke is one of the reason F1 is so lame these days.
Every year brings a new Tilkedrome :cry:
Although to be fair he's probbaly only designing what FIA tells him to do. I mean tracks like SPA and Suzuka wouldn't be allowed by FIA rules today #-o #-o

Just_a_fan

beelsebob wrote: Agreed. I think probably modern circuit designers simply under estimate how steep a slope needs to be. Spa is an incredibly hilly circuit. Eau Rouge/Radillon are a 1:3 incline, they really don't look like that on TV.
Let's not forget that Spa was a road circuit - the inclines are because it followed everyday roads. If we were still running the full Spa layout you'd probably thinking it was boring these days because much of it would just be full throttle droning along the relatively flat bits that are much of the rest of the old circuit.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Emerson.F

Worlds best tracks on scale. The big one is Isle of Man TT

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Gridlock

I guess the point-to-point towards the left is Pike's Peak?

What's the double-long-straight one with loops at each end, under the Nordschleife? Is that a Tilke? :D

sesku

Gridlock wrote:I guess the point-to-point towards the left is Pike's Peak?

What's the double-long-straight one with loops at each end, under the Nordschleife? Is that a Tilke? :D
I think that's AVUS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avus
This letter is computer-generated ; no signature is required.

Moxie

For the sake of variety, I wouldn't be opposed to a track like AVUS appearing on the schedule. A point to point race of some sort might also be interesting, but clearly there would be many difficulties to solve before such an event could take place.

Sevach

Tilke makes his tracks to allow "good racing" (or at least what he thinks is good racing) and overtakes.
Because of that they end up predictable and too technical on purely "fun to drive around" stakes.
The tricky part (at least as far as F1 is concerned), is that F1 has never been super friendly of wheel to wheel, close racing... the tendency of one supercar stomping the field is too strong.

I do think he needs to re-think his hairpins a little bit, yes low speed corners lower the aero losses from following too close, but every driver knows that you can take the middle of the track, kill the entry speed and blast away on exit... the guy behind is forced to follow.

Slipstream also gets weaker...
It's harder to go around the outside of an extremely tight radius corner...

Just_a_fan

Tilke is governed by the FIA's circuit rules. There are things he's not allowed to do.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AnthonyG

I keep wondering, why always Tilke.
I think we should give him less slack, it's like those corrupt local governments where if you want to build a house or anything as a newcommer, the mayor tells you polite which contractor you'll have to use...
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

kooleracer

I think its a shame we don't go to Turkey anymore thats one of Tilke's best race tracks absolutely amazing track highspeed corners and a lot of overtaking opportunity's. Such a shame we're are not racing there anymore.

Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Sombrero

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWfwWYHe2Ho[/youtube]

Right it's AVUS Berlin !