Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ringo

Re: Honda Power Unit

Mclaren may want to stick with mercedes now. I'm not sure if they predicted that there would be such an advantage.
Honda better come good with the Electrical parts of the PU, because that's where the magic is.
For Sure!!

xpensive

I believe that Honda is playing on two pianos at the moment, a de-stroked IRL/PURE-engine with all the gizmos,
training their engineers while at it, and a revamped 2.4 V8 just in case if MrT yields to MrE's commercial views.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

mzso

ringo wrote:Mclaren may want to stick with mercedes now. I'm not sure if they predicted that there would be such an advantage.
Honda better come good with the Electrical parts of the PU, because that's where the magic is.
But Honda can test all they want whichever number of engines they want, meanwhile learn from Renault's mistakes.
They could put the engine in a chassis now and run their engines till february. Mclaren even could provide them with a test chassis (which doesn't conform to any rules) to help them.

adrianjordan

I thought Honda had stated that they won't be running a test-mule...or was just a rumour that I heard without foundation...??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

countersteer

with respect to a "de-stroked IRL (Indy) unit"... Keep in mind that the Indy motor is a wire valve spring engine. Which begs the question... Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a wire valve spring motor given that is completely reliable for the rpm range these motors are operated in? Seems to me that it would be a bit simpler and wouldn't have the parasitic loss of the compressor.

countersteer

Also, this year's Indy engine is a twin (spec) turbo unit. Last year's engine was a single turbo motor so they have some knowledge there.

I don't know how freely information may flow as the Indy engine is developed and paid for by HPD (Honda Performance Development) and the F1 program from Honda corporate.

Lycoming

HPD is a wholly owned subsidiary, if Honda HQ wants data, they can haz data.

That said, I don't expect too much commonality between the indy engine and the F1 engine. Configuration-wise, they're different enough that the major components won't be readily interchangeable.

Jolle

I think in the new engine/powertrain rules, the old fashion engine (ICE) is of lesser important. There are for a company as HRC no real challenges. The RPM is quite low, they could even run normal, almost consumer springs or heads (the size and speeds are basically the same as a Honda Fireblade).

The most challenging part is what size turbo, how it's spit and most of all, the software to get the most if it now. I guess they will be in close contact with Mclaren how this is done now ;-) (and they would have the people who did a great work on the RCV213 on there too now)

I wonder how much difference it would make if you would use a K1600 BMW engine instead of a V6 that is used now...

MercedesAMGSpy

Maybe I am wrong, but I would be surprised if Honda would beat Mercedes/Renault/Ferrari, who had one season experience/mileage compared to Honda.

langwadt

countersteer wrote:with respect to a "de-stroked IRL (Indy) unit"... Keep in mind that the Indy motor is a wire valve spring engine. Which begs the question... Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a wire valve spring motor given that is completely reliable for the rpm range these motors are operated in? Seems to me that it would be a bit simpler and wouldn't have the parasitic loss of the compressor.
don't they feed the springs from a tank of nitrogen not a compressor?

mikeerfol

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113881

McLaren eyes post-Abu Dhabi GP test for 2015 Honda F1 engine

dobbster71

Powershift wrote:
flynfrog wrote:
xpensive wrote:I'm quite certain that the Honda unit will be either a downstroked IRL-engine;

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/indycar ... urbo-2.jpg

I read here http://www.enginelabs.com/news/honda-un ... ar-engine/ that the 2014 Honda Indy engine has a 75 degree V angle, not the 90 degrees stipulated by the F1 rules.
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen

Powerslide

I would think if Honda was to come back to Formula One, they would come up with a bespoke motor. Its going to be difficult against Mercedes-Benz AMG, if they came in without any significant difference between Ferrari and Renault by design then it would perform in that area.
speed

akshat21

I agree. Honda should be coming in with a bespoke motor for F1. But, I personally think that competitive advantage for Honda will come from the the fact that they have already been running some form of V6 turbo charged engines in IRL, which means they already have the technical knowhow that Merc, Renault and Ferrari had to create over the past few years.

This would lead to a secondary benefit that they can then have more time to work and perfect their ERS systems.

mclaren111

I read an article this time last year where Ross Brawn said that it was "known" that Japanese engineers have been seen at MTC for over six months.
That means Honda have been working there since some time in 2012. I think it is part of why Mclaren got the changed / updated Mercedes PU so late.

Also, Honda is obsessed with winning and are sure they would not have entered without making sure they can be competative from the start.