Racing games

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
fierro90
fierro90

Re: Racing games

Grand Prix Legends is by far the best.

CMSMJ1

fierro90 wrote:Grand Prix Legends is by far the best.

Thread closed :D

GPL rules.

The GTR2 was pretty good..

NetKar was awesome for a beta...
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

slimfitcasual

Racing games

RicerDude wrote:

I wouldn't say it gets destroyed. Final score was 7-6 to Fort-zah and that's taking damage and sounds out of the equation which to me don't really matter to me in a sim game. That's pretty respectable considering GT is running on hardware 16 times less powerful than the Xbone.
You don't care about audio and physics? Aye-yai-yai.

Anyways, enjoy your game. :)
Per ardua ad astra

Emerson.F

Lol the graphics looks horrible and it looks arcadish. :(
I just looked up some youtube clips.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

mertol

It's not arcadish and it is much better than anything ever created for conzoles.

Andres125sx

Emerson.F wrote:
Considering it´s 16 years old you should ask yourself the reason some people still love it with that old graphics

Simulation was the best I´ve ever seen, specially the feeling you get with any setting change

Emerson.F

Andres125sx wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:
Considering it´s 16 years old you should ask yourself the reason some people still love it with that old graphics

Simulation was the best I´ve ever seen, specially the feeling you get with any setting change
I was wondering the same thing, i will give it a go. Lets see what all the fuzz is about. :mrgreen:
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

mertol

Graphics are great for its time. It can even support triple screens with some minor tweaks. What is horrible quality on today's systems is the sound.

Earnard Beccelstone

Having played GPL for years and then abandoned it for GT2 and rFactor 1/2 - as well as some mucking about with IRacing - I came back to it about six months ago.

The game is still excellent (no downforce, skinny cross pluy tyres, heavy steering feel), but I think the simulation/physics engine is showing its age, particularly the suspension and tyre modelling. Everything is a little too prone to slide and oversteer.

It's only an opinion, but I feel the tyre and general driving feel of recent simulators, even *gasp* those of survey sims for consoles such as the Forza and Grand Turismo series, are better. Put simply, they've got way more processing power to play with than PCs did in the late 1990s/early 2000s and the companies have invested more time and resources into finding the data and perfecting their models.

mertol

It's prone to slide because it is super hard bias ply tire. Bias ply tires do have higher optimum slip angle. The L49 in iracing slides a lot too. It is hard to control even on straights when there are bumps and crests. The GPL versions are maybe too easy to correct. I think that is because the tracks are not so detailed and miss all the small bumps.

mikeerfol

To PS3 users, could you post your PSN IDs here so we can have a race or two sometime?

Moanlower

I definately would recommend Assetto Corsa. It's still in Early Access but has by far the best physics and is also playable with a console. I played LFS, rFactor, Iracing, FVA, netKar PRO but Assetto Corsa rules. Graphics are great but maybe not the best, and you need a good graphics card and CPU to run at max settings. For example, i use triple screens with a HD7850oc and I5 3570k OC and run a stable 60 to 70fps and lower setting which are more than good enough. It mostly removes the bling and reflections which you won't see since you're in the car! Besides sun glare and smoke screens, you won't miss a thing.

netKar PRO and Ferrari Virtual Academy are actually previous products from Kunos Simulazioni that recently released Assetto Corsa in Early access which means it isn't complete yet, but already has plent of cars and tracks with single player or online multiplay. It's also open source which means you can add or make your own track or car.

On multiplayer level and competiton wise it can't match iRacing's organised championships and points system but that's something that will come with time in AC. And even if it will never match the iRacing system I'd still prefer the physics of AC that is easier at lower speeds, which it should be. A car shouldn't be difficult to drive at low speeds. When you reach the limits you'll notice the fine details and complex physics when you're in that zone of grip and grip loss. There's so much detail and differences in grip loss, where as in iRacing it's iceracing once you lost grip and also harder to drive at lower speeds. Anyway, my 2 cents and a video that this user randomac made.

One last thing and not unimportant. Money! AC costs once 35 Euro I think, while for iRacing you pay monthly several dollars to be able to play the game, and only get a few cars a tracks, every other car or track you'll have to pay between 12 to 15 dollar per piece. This can easily increase to a few hundreds of dollars. If you don't renew subscription you can't play with the content you payed for.

Here's another video: Something I haven't mentioned yet is that all AC tracks are laser scanned. A laser scanned Nordschleife will be published soon as a DLC, but in the meantime someone converted the track with permission to AC in wait of the 'real deal'.

Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

mertol

I agree that AC is very good and has the potential to be the best out there if they create a good multiplayer system. PM me to exchange steam contacts and maybe race sometime.

Moanlower

mertol wrote:I agree that AC is very good and has the potential to be the best out there if they create a good multiplayer system. PM me to exchange steam contacts and maybe race sometime.
Hi, I send a PM. Grtz
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

SectorOne

AC is the new king yes. Anyone who played NKPro knew what to expect.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"