My F1 simulator McLaren MP4-23 project - Repozess

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
repozess

Re: My F1 simulator McLaren MP4-23 project - Repozess

It has been awhile since my last post...had to put my project on hold temporarily..Now i'm back at it again...decided to revise my approach to the project and change a few things...re-designing and concentrating on a custom steering wheel for once, as it is the first part(s) that will be manufactured...i have taken elements of the Mclaren MP3-24 version and the Ferrari wheel as well combined...i'm calling it : my custom hybrid version.

First, i completed the newly revised display module based on the PCU-8D from MCLaren.

Repozess

remydio

Interesting you are back on scene Mate :p my project is on hold as well, most of the drawing for my wheel are finished :p

repozess

Yeah and my goal is to go all the way to completion...Is it a replica of the McLaren that you've done ?
Would love to see your work !
Repozess

repozess

so...my steering assembly is coming along nicely...

For the longest time i researched diligently products or units that would suit my needs and most importantly translate with accuracy and speed of response what a "real" simulator should feel like when actually driving it...i have personally tried many "rigs" from many different companies and they all "claim" they have the best product...i have a different opinion about that :roll:

For the past 7 months or so...just to put things in perspective, a true "simulation" device should have a linear response thus, immediate feedback..simple

One that stood out and impressed me (i rarely am) is Leo Bodnar's Force feedback Steering system. I don't own one but a friend of mine does...

"Kudos" to him and his team, as it is well designed...quality finish and materials, built like a brick...& the driving experience and feel is just "spot on" which i need it to be, it will be perfect for my Sim, not to mention save me a lot of time. I designed it just for fun, as i will need to model a custom clamping system to accomodate my steering wheel in which the "quick disconnect" on the back is based on the Ferrari F1 Wheel.

More updates coming soon.

Repozess

repozess

Both...their 3D file extension is STEP therefore i could not do any editing nor assign proper materials to a "knitted surface" as opposed to a 3D solid model with single parts assembled.

So yes... i had to re-design each part ( 10 of them total )... thus the resulted render that u see...i took only the dimensions from the original one.

Cheers !
Repozess

repozess

More updates....I finished the shaft clamp adapter & the steering disconnect bracket...nothing fancy just a simple & straightforward approach..

Repozess

remydio

Hi Repo,

Have to say that Leo's wheel seems to have issues with high cogging sensation, another company is working on the same way but with another motor with less cogging and same power as leo's one, need to search the Iracing forum to find the thread back.
Also, a friend of mine designed and built is own FFB with very significant performances (torque, speed, power, response..) using similar motor.

Tim.Wright

If you are serious about a realistic steering feel, why don't you look at a hydraulic system?
Not the engineer at Force India

remydio

I would be interested if you have any infos on that kind of ffb wheels Tim.
I know there are some Hydraulic wheels on the sim market but they are not real Force Feedback ones.

Thanks,

repozess

Hey Remydio,

thanks for the info...which i didn't know about...done some research on that and you are correct, i have read some comments about that issue. I will look into it more of course.

Does your friend plan to sell his design..or any more details you can give me about that ? i am interested !

Cheers !
Repozess

remydio

I'll contact him , and get is aproval or not to give you what i have :p

repozess

Thanks mate, i appreciate that... even if you can't...no worries !
Repozess

repozess

More updates...

I've finished the final "concept" of my hybrid wheel...i wanted a more "organic" and "flowing" look...i'm very happy with it...in fact i like it more then the previous design i did...now onto the actual modeling of each component (rear shell, shift levers, brackets, quick disconnect...etc ) more progress pictures to come as i go along !

Repozess

repozess

I'm going off the F1 topic briefly...i just finished working on designing a custom wheel to complement one of my favourite cars that i can't wait to get my hands on...sooner then later ! the Audi R8

Repozess