How is the forum rating system doing?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
gray41

Re: How is the forum rating system doing?

I don't have the power to down vote apparently, I have received many down votes my self. :? :wtf:
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

idfx

You can take a test?
Change the button positions. Perhaps usability problem.
----------

basti313

Pierce89 wrote:
Steven wrote:Increase the treshold to hide posts is one of the possibilities to mitigate this behaviour.
Will have to check though if there's systematic abuse against WB.
There's no systematic abuse of anyone. Besides anyone worried about their rank on an internet forum has much larger problems.
Well, we sometimes encourage these people. There is a bunch of people warposting pictures from AMuS or Sutton in the car threads just to get upvotes. Some have pushed this so far to have several hundred upvotes just by posting pictures from other people...

I do not know how this can be supported as:
-mostly the source of the pictures is not even mentioned
-often the pictures are stored on servers which seem to have no rights for them (usual picture servers)
-having a whole series of commercial pictures in an open forums may be a big problem for the owner because of piracy problems
-people are banned for short off topic discussions in those threads but whole pages of pictures without relevant details are ok
Don`t russel the hamster!

Holm86

basti313 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
Steven wrote:Increase the treshold to hide posts is one of the possibilities to mitigate this behaviour.
Will have to check though if there's systematic abuse against WB.
There's no systematic abuse of anyone. Besides anyone worried about their rank on an internet forum has much larger problems.
Well, we sometimes encourage these people. There is a bunch of people warposting pictures from AMuS or Sutton in the car threads just to get upvotes. Some have pushed this so far to have several hundred upvotes just by posting pictures from other people...

I do not know how this can be supported as:
-mostly the source of the pictures is not even mentioned
-often the pictures are stored on servers which seem to have no rights for them (usual picture servers)
-having a whole series of commercial pictures in an open forums may be a big problem for the owner because of piracy problems
-people are banned for short off topic discussions in those threads but whole pages of pictures without relevant details are ok
What about those forum threads where all that is posted is pictures of engines etc.? No info, no nothing just a picture which gets 3-4 upvotes each. Some of them not even F1 and there is definetly nothing technical behind it. Some people has reached high amounts of votes just by doing that.

(I would just like say that I have nothing against those threads. They should just be locked from voting).

strad

OK..I got "dinged" for offering a plus one or a emoticon the indicates I agree with a previous poster.
I was told by the Mod that I should use the upvote function.
I thought this section made it clear that the up/down vote function was NOT for simply agreeing or not.
Which is it?
Also since when do you get into trouble for agreeing?
Why do you think it takes a wordy response to thank a guy for posting personal photos that his family took in the past?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

gray41

Do the mods scan through all the threads down voting anything they don't deem up vote worthy?

Just because something doesn't have technical connotations doesn't mean its not worthy of an up vote, I personally have up voted something that I agree with and couldn't write better my self, yet I go back and read the page again and its now neutral?

Whats the point in being allowed to up vote if it doesn't stick?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Giblet

It seems to be a nice improvement.

Oh, and hi everyone.

I left, and I came back. No longer want to be a mod. it ruined my love of the sport for while, having idiots attack me in messages.

Sorry I just kind of left, was fed up.

Back to lurk, and good to see a lot folks still here, and the 'idiots' are now being downvoted into obscurity.

Cheers.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

hollus

Welcome back, Giblet!!!
Amazing how mods often suffer from post-traumatic stress syndrome, it is a tough world in the interwebz! Good to see another one recover from it!

To gray: there is a 99% chance that it wasn't a mod but someone else over rep 25 that down voted it back to zero. It wasn't me (other times it could have been) but there are some people here that think that pure opinion or pure fun, while interesting, should not have votes. So there are some people that sometimes vote a +1 back to 0, and also often a -1 back to zero. In my mind there is a big difference between voting back to zero and pure up-down voting from zero. I'd never -1 an opinion, but I am happy to re-zero them, and I am not apologetic about it.
It is a bit of a consensus thing, though. If enough people do think it worthy of a positive rep, it will stick. But in general, it is better not to get too worked up over the rep of any one post, there is a huge amount of noise in the system, which is unavoidable.
Rivals, not enemies.

Giblet

hollus wrote:Welcome back, Giblet!!!
Amazing how mods often suffer from post-traumatic stress syndrome, it is a tough world in the interwebz! Good to see another one recover from it!
Thanks man :) You were not an issue. When I had people so bothered and tracked me down on Facebook and attempted to shame me with lies in front of my friends and family, I decided that was enough. I had to change my Facebook name to stop it, and block someone.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

hollus

Wow!
Rivals, not enemies.

strad

Why do I get upvotes in threads I have never posted in?:

Tue May 13, 2014 11:14 am+12014 Barcelona test (13-14 May)
by

Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 am+1Lotus E22 Renault
by

Tue May 13, 2014 10:43 am+1Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014 by

Tue May 13, 2014 10:37 am+1Is the BMW i3 the most advanced production car?
by

Tue May 13, 2014 9:52 am-1Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014 by

Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 am+1Sauber C33 Ferrari
by

Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 am+1Sauber C33 Ferrari
by

Tue May 13, 2014 8:03 am-1Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014 by

Tue May 13, 2014 7:55 am+1Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014 by
that's just some of them?????
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

wesley123

I think you are looking at votes you gave
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Holm86

When you click on the (View my votes) in the top menu under your username it takes you to the recent votes. Not the votes you have received or the votes you have given. Don't know why that is?? Should be fixed.

strad

both are wrong...oh well
Sir Stirling Moss

hollus

It seems that it should be the votes you received.
It is meant to be the votes you made.
And there is a bug that often mixes votes from other people with the ones you made.

Been like that for a while. Your most recent votes (made) are still somewhere there near the top, though.
Rivals, not enemies.