Photography

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
AlpineF1

Photography

Hey everyone.

Does anybody do a bit of photography? I'd like it if you all posted some photos on this topic :D

Here is one of mine:

And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

Phil

Re: Photography

Here are two random pictures from a mountain pass in Switzerland (Furka and Grimselpass). :)

For the record, most of my photography is done using a Nikon D800. Above were still taken with the D700 though (with the Nikon 14-24mm 2.8f lens).

PS: Nice car AlpineF1!
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

AlpineF1

Awesome pictures! And awesome car, i wish that car was mine haha, i was doing a bit of work for a dealership and i spent most of my time around the R8 haha. :)

Here is another one:

And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

Del Boy

Don't take this the wrong but I'm disappointed. I too am a budding photographer and ever since I sat next to Mark Sutton on an Easyjet flight coming back from Barcelona I dream of being an F1 photographer. (No chance now just too old and the missus wouldn't be impressed if I spent £2500 upgrading my Nikon D7100 to a D4S) Therefore I like the topic but as an enthusiast can I suggest that you include some exposure detail along with pictures. If you look at GP week most of photographs include Shutter speed, F no, focal length, ISO. If you use PS or Nikon NX2 all of the data is there.
Sorry if this sounds like me being a grumpy old man but if you have taken a great shot I want to know how!

AlpineF1

Del Boy wrote:Don't take this the wrong but I'm disappointed. I too am a budding photographer and ever since I sat next to Mark Sutton on an Easyjet flight coming back from Barcelona I dream of being an F1 photographer. (No chance now just too old and the missus wouldn't be impressed if I spent £2500 upgrading my Nikon D7100 to a D4S) Therefore I like the topic but as an enthusiast can I suggest that you include some exposure detail along with pictures. If you look at GP week most of photographs include Shutter speed, F no, focal length, ISO. If you use PS or Nikon NX2 all of the data is there.
Sorry if this sounds like me being a grumpy old man but if you have taken a great shot I want to know how!
Hey!

The camera i used to take these 2 photographs was actually the dealerships as mine was on charge haha.

The camera i used was a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ20

Focal length: 4mm
f-stop: f/3.1
ISO- 100
Exposure time - 1/160 sec

Thats the data for the last picture i took :) forgive me, i am a massive photography noob.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook

Kiril Varbanov

Phil, the second image is awesome - it has composition, a story to tell, it fits in the 9 squares, and I love the darkness of the car. Did you edit the image somehow or this is the original shot?

I also do a bit of photography, but on a purely fun basis. I own simple digital camera Fujifilm S4800, which fits my needs. For now.
The life of the F1 photographer is an interesting topic, and I have invited both Sutton and Vlad Rys to make an article on http://f1framework.blogspot.com - should be up soon. They have quite a stories to tell.

As far as the pro-photographer story goes, that's a long one and it really needs dedication with questionable ROI. So, you really need to be up for the job. Cheers, keep the images coming.

Some of the stuff I shoot go into the print magazine TopGear Bulgaria, so I can't show them, but the last one I have handy is this cropped old-look-edited photo of Rolls Royce Silver Shadow (I don't have the details, sorry!). It's quite a rare car around:

Other than that, I prefer landscape shots - http://500px.com/kvph
Because, you know, these objects don't move. And I'm not that good yet to capture the fast movements with single auto-focus point, though the long exposure trials have been good so far.

Phil

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Phil, the second image is awesome - it has composition, a story to tell, it fits in the 9 squares, and I love the darkness of the car. Did you edit the image somehow or this is the original shot?
Thanks Kiril! To answer your question: No, the pictures are untouched and not edited in anyway (besides the obvious crop/resize). The fun thing about those pictures is that I actually drove out that day just to do a bit of photography in the alps - which is about a 2 hour drive from where I live. I didn't know yet which spot I wanted to choose to take pictures, so I ended up stoping in various places to find the perfect spot. These pictures happened along the way.

One of the better shots that night was in the same location as the 2nd shot (guess this shows how many hours I actually remained in that particular spot, go figure... :oops: ):

Grimselpass, Nikon D700 + AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED @ 14mm | f/2.8 | 30s | iso 1600

I actually revisited this exact spot last year when I got my D800, mainly to do a 1:1 comparison (since I had one of these printed in big size). Let me just say, the originals at its full 36MPixel resolution is staggering, which unfortunately these resized versions don't do justice:

Grimselpass, Nikon D800 + AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED @ 14mm | f/2.8 | 30s | iso 1250

Here are some others pictures:

Hamilton from Eau Rouge, Nikon D700 + AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II @ 200mm | f/2.8 | 1/200 | iso 200

Zermatt 2014, Nikon D800 + AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm @ 14mm | f/11 | 25s | iso100

Del Boy wrote:Therefore I like the topic but as an enthusiast can I suggest that you include some exposure detail along with pictures. If you look at GP week most of photographs include Shutter speed, F no, focal length, ISO. If you use PS or Nikon NX2 all of the data is there.
Good point. I was going to include them, but didn't have them at hand (these are actually resizes from an earlier JPEG resize I had lying around on my work PC, so no EXIF data) and didn't think getting them from the original RAW files warranted the effort, considering these pictures aren't doing anything all that fancy. Also, admittedly, I'm not used to giving out this kind of detail about my pictures since I don't usually post them in the public domain (no flickr or facebook).......
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Kiril Varbanov

Again, nice stuff, Phil. The recent discussion at MSC topic reminded me to jump back here.
I took a shot of a, well, a bit botched Porsche this weekend - the car had ridiculous stickers all over it, so I decided to take a shot at the rims and the alarmingly red caliper. The result:

Camera Fujifilm FinePix S4800
Focal Length 14.3mm
Shutter Speed 1/30 s
Aperture f/4.9
ISO/Film 800

I have done numerous modifications to the original image, which was quite grainy due to the high ISO, but this is what I really like: shooting and repairing in sub-optimal conditions. The next step on the camera side is likely to be a mirrorless camera, though.

CptPeanut

I dabble a bit, unfortunately don't have as much spare time for it as I would like lately:

Nikon D80, Nikon 28-80, 28mm, F13, 1/200, ISO 200. Edited in Photoshop

Nikon D80, Nikon 28-80, 28mm, F9, 1/320, ISO 200. Edited in Photoshop

Nikon D80, Nikon 28-80, 38mm, F8, 1/250, ISO 200. Edited in Photoshop

Nikon D80, Nikon 28-80, 75mm, F5.6, 1/400, ISO 200. Edited in Photoshop

Nikon D80, Sigma 70-300, 95mm, F6.3, 1/640, ISO 200. Edited in Photoshop

Nikon D80, Sigma 70-300, 135mm, F4.5, 1/320, ISO 400. Edited in Photoshop

Nikon D80, Sigma 70-300, 110mm, F4.2, 1/125, ISO 200. Edited in Photoshop

Nikon D80, Sigma 70-300, 300mm, F5.6, 1/250, ISO 400. Edited in Photoshop

Have trips planned to the Goodwood FoS and the British grand Prix at Silverstone this year so will hopefully get the chance for some photography.

Kiril Varbanov

Good job, mate, definitely shows the difference between Point and Shoot and DSLR.

This summer I used to race supercharged water jets, but none of the friends was able to handle the fast-track focus, hence I took just this humble image of a buggy, standing still:

Certainly, the guy who owned the little beast had quite a stories...

On a related note, here's a link to some extremely funny and sarcastic Amazon reviews about photographic gear: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/ro ... on-reviews

autogyro

https://www.facebook.com/gerrard24/medi ... 752&type=3

A few snaps I took at Duxford the other year with my old Cannon D series.

Kiril Varbanov

I'm delighted to announce Vladimir Rys and his professional photos feat. interview at F1 Framework - http://f1framework.blogspot.com/2014/07 ... inder.html

Phil

Time to revive this topic. 8)

Been working on my photographic skills which by now also includes car photography, so thought I'd share a few of my Lotus Exige.

NIKON D800 + AF-S VR MICRO-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED @ 105mm, ISO 100, 1s, f/2.8

NIKON D800 + AF-S VR MICRO-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED @ 105mm, ISO 100, 2s, f/2.8

NIKON D800 + AF-S VR MICRO-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED @ 105mm, ISO 100, 2s, f/3

NIKON D800 + AF-S VR MICRO-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED @ 105mm, ISO 100, 5s, f/3

Feedback as always appreciated. :)

Anyone else take pictures of cars?
#Team44 supporter

Andres125sx

Phil wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 15:35
Anyone else take pictures of cars?
No, few people enjoy a car as beauty as yours and at the same time your photography skills Phil :wink:

I love your style, good job, keep sharing some from time to time :D