Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Pierce89

Re: Honda Power Unit

mzso wrote:
xpensive wrote: WTF, you're a funny guy, but I think most of those interested in F1 knows what MHPE stands for, just like FIA and once BRM.
I doubt it. Most people just watch and know the teams, drivers. People tend to project what they now to everyone though.
Although I guessed the Mercedes part. :)
You're not off to a great start at F1T
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

xpensive

At times I find it difficult to see Honda's incentives for spending gazillions on a hybrid engine for F1, why I suspect a much wider agenda here, which obviously would be developing systems for a Le Mans assault together with McLaren?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FW17

xpensive wrote:At times I find it difficult to see Honda's incentives for spending gazillions on a hybrid engine for F1, why I suspect a much wider agenda here, which obviously would be developing systems for a Le Mans assault together with McLaren?
I doubt it. Honda were never fully behind the endurance racing, I guess (rightly so) it did not appeal to them. They had a half hearted programme with the american le mans series but not a full fledged attack on the LMP 1 24 hour race. I am also not sure of endurance racing popularity in Japan, Toyota and Nissan could be wasting their time.

mzso

xpensive wrote:At times I find it difficult to see Honda's incentives for spending gazillions on a hybrid engine for F1, why I suspect a much wider agenda here, which obviously would be developing systems for a Le Mans assault together with McLaren?
Maybe gathering more experience with EV/hybrid tech is worth it.

xpensive

Just that Honda and Toyota typically follows eachother, CART and F1, how would Le Mans be any different

FW17

xpensive wrote:Just that Honda and Toyota typically follows eachother, CART and F1, how would Le Mans be any different
Did toyota follow honda or was it the other way around in CART and F1.

Toyota also did endurance racing before, WRC and NASCAR honda gave those a thought. Honda has always been around with open wheel racing and probably believes that is the pinnacle of motorsport performance

xpensive

I think you're right in principle that Toyota followed Honda in both those cases, but Toyota was already in F1 with Yamaha as proxy before Honda came back with BAR. Dan Gurney had talks with Toyota long before Honda went to CART with Bobby Rahal.

Brian Coat

xpensive wrote:... but Toyota was already in F1 with Yamaha as proxy before Honda came back with BAR.
We'll if you mean Judd from Rugby, England ... Then yes, YAMAHA!!

xpensive

No, the 40 valve V8 was all Yamaha, as was the later 60 valve V12, John Judd came with the V10 much later;

Brian Coat

Oh yes, you are right.

Although weren't those woefully uncompetitive so they approached EDL for the V10?

If I've remembered that wrong too, I'll consider myself officially senile!

Lycoming

They already have a Le Mans program, and the a Le Mans powertrain is quite different from an F1 powertrain. Partnering with Mclaren's F1 program is a very expensive and roundabout way of getting into LMP1.
WilliamsF1 wrote:I doubt it. Honda were never fully behind the endurance racing, I guess (rightly so) it did not appeal to them. They had a half hearted programme with the american le mans series but not a full fledged attack on the LMP 1 24 hour race. I am also not sure of endurance racing popularity in Japan, Toyota and Nissan could be wasting their time.
I wouldn't call it half hearted. It's not the same scale as Toyota or Audi, but it's not like they're not trying. It's no more half hearted than any other manufacturer producing customer cars for LMP2. And their program wasn't limited to ALMS; over the years several teams have run Honda chassis/engines in LMP1 and LMP2 in ILMC/WEC and Le Mans. Plus, these companies sell their cars all over the globe. Japan is a big market, but how much they care about endurance racing is far from the be all and end all.
mzso wrote:
Maybe gathering more experience with EV/hybrid tech is worth it.
Unlikely. Not with F1 rules, homologation and testing limits. You gather much more experience developing road car hybrid systems in the same amount of time.

Sasha

Honda working with IHI on the turbocharger.

godlameroso

I hope they do better than in Super GT, their turbo engine is getting crushed by Nissan and Toyota.
Saishū kōnā

Pierce89

godlameroso wrote:I hope they do better than in Super GT, their turbo engine is getting crushed by Nissan and Toyota.
I tried to explain to people that Honda has very little turbo experience. The Honda WTCC motor gets donkey kicked by the Citroen engine every time there's a long straight.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Sasha

Has nothing to do with the turbo!Just look at the Civics in BTCC(Port Injected with Turbo)!

Honda's problems in SGT and WTCC is DI.(they are new to tuning DI Turbo Engines)

HPD signed MM to fix their DI INDY Engine.

And HondaF1 is going to use MM too.