(KVRC) CAEdevice

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
AratzH

Re: (KVRC) CAEdevice

Looking good CAEdevice!! I love the new front wing! I tried myself a curved flap endplate design, but couldn't make it perform as well as the normal endplate one.
MVRC -> TF

CAEdevice

AratzH wrote:Looking good CAEdevice!! I love the new front wing! I tried myself a curved flap endplate design, but couldn't make it perform as well as the normal endplate one.
Thank you! To be honest I receveid small advantages from the new fron wing: the old version ("extruded" elements) is much more easy to optimize, but this one seems to be able to reach a bit higher maximum downforce (sorry that Monaco was the previous and not the next race :) ).

I really need to model a new central body, but time was not enough...

machin

Yeah, that front wing looks nice. Will be good to see what improvement you get. I notice that you have front wing end plates which are wider at the front than the rear which I think is fairly unique?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

I decided to emphasize the dynamic pressure, and the design is far to be optimized... but the front load was enough so I preferred to spend more time with other iusses. I think that for Monza the front wing will change a lot!

PS: the old front wing design was working well, but it was at its maximum level of development/efficiency. This one is a bit worse at the moment but in the next races it can improve very much

CAEdevice

Update: the car was found illegal so I had to correct two iussues.

The front wing endplates have been substituted with a simple and more traditional plate, the "monkey seat" was completely cut away (impossible to re-positionate it without a new CFD run, but there is not enough time for it). Total downforce doesn't changed too much, but I thing that balance will suffer a bit.

CAEdevice

Here is the new car for Monza: MP001B.
I would need more time to get advantages over the previous MP001A, the bigest difference is that this version has been parametrically modeled and this should facilitate the development for the following races.

PS: Luke, feel free to take this picture for the KVRC gallery.

machin

That does look a lot neater... good idea making the model parametric... that should make it much easier to return to a known baseline if you start going down a blind alley.

Good work.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

Thank you! I have to work very hard for the last two races. I don't expect a big improvement for Monza.

CAEdevice

Ready for Silverstone: new floor and high downforce wings.

CAEdevice

Last race (Nurburgring), last MP001 release.

astracrazy

looks good. you can see your improvements even in just modelling from start to finish - good one

CAEdevice

astracrazy wrote:looks good. you can see your improvements even in just modelling from start to finish - good one
I confirm that. I'm quite sure that I could reach the third place if I had two or three more weeks for studing some solutions.
At the moment I have about these values: Cd.A = 1.10 m2 and Cl.A = 1.90 m2, but the model I'm running now (just for fun) is more efficient ( Cd.A = 1.12 m2 and Cl.A = 2.1 m2)... I'm ready for the next year!

I'm tempted to release a free version of my car with some simplified details to help newbies for the next year (if F1 will be choosen): what do you think about?

CAEdevice

Work in progress for KVRC2015 (or just for fun if it will not be based on F1 rules).

variante

Despite the absence of light i'm pretty sure that's a new front wing...keep us updated!

Meanwhile, with official regulations yet to be released, i'm making something slightly different... :lol:
(here the shadows are just to hide imperfections...)

CAEdevice

Yes the front wing is completely new, but not much more efficient than the previous one. It has the advantage of offering more possibilities to orient the flow. The absence of light is necessary to hide the area next to the sidepod inlets, where I'm trying to improve the 2014 model : )

I think that I had explored no more than 50% of the possible solutions of the F1 "shape" so I'd prefer that the rules will be focused on F1 next year, but I have done some test on different shapes in the past... quite similar to your model (wich CAD are you using?)