What would you add to F1technical?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Tom

Its a great site Tomba, but there's definetly something missing. How about a 'pit-girl' section with the best chciks from each GP? 8)
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

modbaraban

Tom wrote:Its a great site Tomba, but there's definetly something missing. How about a 'pit-girl' section with the best chciks from each GP? 8)
...with technical indepth view on them. Comparing who gained weight and who lost some. Also having them x-aryed would be very 'technical' :roll: :lol:

ketanpaul

The one thing that I think should be added on the site is a simple Q&A section. Because many of us regularly ask simple one liner questions which do not deserve a brand new topic to be started, so a simple section where you can post questions and peoplr can answer them easily, should be done with a layout like the development blog.

Sawtooth-spike

Tomba wrote:
astsmtl wrote:
Sawtooth-spike wrote:...
I also think a "What is ...." Section, would be good, what i mean is we get alot of messages about "what is a Keel?" and that kinda stuff, and it might be good to have a section that gives people a rought idea of these things. this might cut down on some of these posts.
http://www.f1technical.net/glossary/
Correct, the glossary is where you should find these things.
Yeah i do like that section, but i was thinkin something a little more in depth with pictures and Examples.

I still think a "AT Work Mode" for the website, so i can pretend i am doing work. Maybe Replace the pictures with Graphs, and when you mouse over them the pictures appear.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

astsmtl

onon wrote:ability to write posts, comments on news
+1 Maybe you can integrate news with forum? Imagine a special "News" forum where only moderators can start new topics (news) and then everyone can discuss them. Also user-suggested premoderated news go here...

Ciro Pabón

I guess Tomba is familiar with formula1.com format for presenting technical analysis by race. For example, http://www.formula1.com/insight/technical_analysis/

I like it.
Sawtooth-spike wrote:I still think a "AT Work Mode" for the website, so i can pretend i am doing work...
Saw, you fiend! :) BTW, if I was your boss, I would be more startled by you trying to hide something than by you trying to read F1Technical!

You MIGHT use Opera (if they allow you to install it at your work site) and use the "Show images" button to achieve the same result. Look, ma... no images!

You can also switch to "User mode" to see an even more simplified version:

Finally, you could use an earphone and the "Voice" button to hear the posts, instead of reading them. Have I already recommended Opera? :)
Ciro

Steven
Owner

Ciro Pabón wrote:I guess Tomba is familiar with formula1.com format for presenting technical analysis by race. For example, http://www.formula1.com/insight/technical_analysis/

I like it.
You think the layout of the development blog should tend more towards that of formula1.com ? What do you consider the most important problems of the current layout then?

modbaraban

Tomba wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote:I guess Tomba is familiar with formula1.com format for presenting technical analysis by race. For example, http://www.formula1.com/insight/technical_analysis/

I like it.
You think the layout of the development blog should tend more towards that of formula1.com ? What do you consider the most important problems of the current layout then?
the layout looks okay but, I think it should have more (and bigger) photos (or drawings like in Formula1.com) with more detail.

Also it shouldn‘t miss things... like recent RBR sidepods T-wings and chimneys update for Spanish GP :wink:

Downforce

NumberTwo wrote:
Sawtooth-spike wrote:I would like More stuff about Tracks.
Yeah, A current and historical listing of tracks would be great with the different layouts for each through the years would be great. Just like the "All cars ever" listing.
Try this site...you could "borrow" some data... :lol:
http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/

Ciro Pabón

Tomba wrote:You think the layout of the development blog should tend more towards that of formula1.com ? What do you consider the most important problems of the current layout then?
I don't think there are any problems with current layout.

What I like of formula1 presentation is that the development analysis (it's not a blog) is organized by races. There is a list of races on the left, instead of a list of developments by (I presume) date.

Maybe this makes easier for people to browse it and, perhaps, more attractive to the public. At least (for me) it's easier to think "I wonder what did they write about the new McLaren wing... mmmm... when did they introduce that thing? Ah, in Spain...".

Besides, I think many people goes to the sites when the race is close to start: they could check what's new for a particular race.

Other people goes to a site after the race and comment on aspects of it: they could find what was introduced on that race. I wonder if this would consolidate the blog as a useful reference: nowadays many people posts their own photos and comments in the forum, unaware that F1Technical has posted better ones (and better comments!).

This could become a custom in the forum: when someone posts a comment about an innovation (normally when they comment about what happened in a race, if I'm not mistaken), the forumers could redirect him toward the development blog.

I wonder if the comments about a race (normally started religiously in the forum by a "volunteer", for each and every race) could be integrated with this "blog-by-races": there could be a "pairing" of both, comments and developments.

As I'm not aware about the number of hits in the blog and the forum, I'm not sure about this, but intutively I'd say more people goes into the forum to comment races that people goes into the blog to comment technical changes.
Ciro

modbaraban

Ciro Pabón wrote:
Tomba wrote:You think the layout of the development blog should tend more towards that of formula1.com ? What do you consider the most important problems of the current layout then?
I don't think there are any problems with current layout.

What I like of formula1 presentation is that the development analysis (it's not a blog) is organized by races. There is a list of races on the left, instead of a list of developments by (I presume) date.
I agree with 1 small correction: not by race, but by event (to include testing). Otherwise we'd never see those Dumbo ears in that section (blog or analysis) :lol:

Steven
Owner

Ok as to what I understand it is wanted to have explanatory articles about technical items such as keels, turbos, all of these things. When having done the update I will start with it, adding them in the appropriate category and linking to them from out the glossary. Btw, images can be added in the glossary but I haven't used this (self programmed) feature yet :D

As for the development blog, Ciro you brought me up with an idea, although it will have to wait after forum version upgrade (still in beta so will have to wait a bit). Categorising the posts by event would also need the circuits and events table, but that's on the todo list and is certainly not a one day job.

Ciro Pabón

Modbaraban is right: races, tests and any other occasions could be included in the category of events.

I'm also organizing racetracks by race (or event, from now on) and by series.
Ciro

modbaraban

What would you add to F1technical?
more things of this kind http://www.f1technical.net/news/5770

:D

ds.raikkonen

Ive noticed that-
Total posts in General chat>Posts in other forums put together!! :shock:
Id recommend encouraging users to post more topics in other forums like off topic chat & other racing series too.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC