Racing games

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Alonso Fan

Re: Racing games

Hi, i wanted to ask you guys a question, especially as some of you play rfactor.

Someone gave me a copy of F1 2013 by codemasters recently and its the pc version. I'm looking to update my graphics card really cheaply, just to see what they've come up with. I've never invested in a codemasters f1 game before and my graphics card currently doesn't support DirectX 10 or 11 - it supports 9. So the game won't launch as yet. I've been looking at gaming graphics cards under £45 because I don't want to spend too much. I've found an AMD Radeon HD 6670 1gb for £30 which is just the right price for me. It is compatible with motherboard etc, but I wanted to ask if any of you guys have tried it and seen how it performs with any high end game/any of the codemasters f1 series games? Does it run smoothly? I'm not looking for 1080p res with maxed out graphics and 60fps, I'm looking for something that the game can run with medium graphics at 1024/768 or something, with at least 25-30 fps, so shouldn't be a big ask. I don't have a big budget.

Will this radeon work well with these settings?

Thanks in advance
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

SiLo

If you can stretch to it, spend a little more money and you will be pleased with results. But get an older, second hand card to get the best bang for your buck.

Something like an Nvidia GTX 560 (might be hard to get one around £50) or a GTX 470 (again might be hard).

For lower end cards try and stick with Nvidia as they have some better drivers and usually offer slightly more consistent performance.

Or be really cheeky and go for quite an old one - a GTX 285 (will run up to Direct X 10)
Felipe Baby!

Alonso Fan

My whole motherboard, cpu and ram is and though :(
Lol

I'll see how much I can stretch the budget but thanks for the suggestions
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

Ok, just checked gtx 560 and yes, it's very hard to find a cheap one. Irs very hard to even find one infact.
Another thing I that my motherboard has a pci express x16 and pci express x1. The gtx series afaik have pci express x3.0, which is too new for me.

What do you think of the radeon 6770 instead? I heard its a lot better than the 6670?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

SiLo

Yes it will be faster and better. It should run the game fine I think if you're running it at lower resolutions.
Felipe Baby!

Alonso Fan

Yep, I don't mind running at lower res. Thanks, I've found a good 6770 for a good price.

I have a 2.6 ghz dual core AMD athlon 64 x2 5000+

Will this be a bottle neck for the gpu?

Will the game run fine with that CPU, with low res and medium settings?

I don't intend to buy a new cpu
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

Another thing. The hd 6770 that I am ordering is the Asus Radeon hd 6770

Is that any different to the AMD Radeon hd 6770?

In the Asus specs it says that the graphics engine is the AMD 6770
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

mikeerfol

No new gen for F1 2014 from the looks of it

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/f1_20 ... ealed.html

Alonso Fan

Hey, anyone know how pci x16 2.1 cards work in pci x16 1.0 slots?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

SiLo

Alonso Fan wrote:Hey, anyone know how pci x16 2.1 cards work in pci x16 1.0 slots?
Best to google it? Things usually go wrong when merging old and new parts in a computer. Something will always play up.
Felipe Baby!

Alonso Fan

SiLo wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:Hey, anyone know how pci x16 2.1 cards work in pci x16 1.0 slots?
Best to google it? Things usually go wrong when merging old and new parts in a computer. Something will always play up.
Done loads of googling, too much in fact. You see, my motherboard is a ecs GeForce 6100pm-m2 v2.0, and I cant find anywhere, not even the official ecs page, if my pci slot is a 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0 slot. Because 2.0 was coming in around when my bios was last updated. So I'm not sure if my board will support a newer graphics card which I have just ordered. I just want to find someone who might have tbr same motherboard and tried a newer graphics card
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

mertol

It's not worth it to waste money on codemasters' crappy games. If you played racedriver grid you've seen the graphics and the gameplay of their f1 titles is even worse than that. Better spend on other games.

Alonso Fan

mertol wrote:It's not worth it to waste money on codemasters' crappy games. If you played racedriver grid you've seen the graphics and the gameplay of their f1 titles is even worse than that. Better spend on other games.
I didn't spend my money on it. Someone gave it to me as a present. Anyway, I think that the graphics are pretty nice. The only thing lacking is full simulation damage, like real life, like clipping a barrier gives you a puncture. And the second thing lacking is the physics, which is alright, but too forgiving and not spinning the car in the correct way like rfaxtor and grand prix 3 do. Other than that, the attention to detail is amazing.

Don't get me wrong, I thankfully got my graphics card and it worked fine. PCI e 2.1 cards are compatible with PCI e 2.1 slots and older.

The game runs fine, and is still a challenge, not really from a handling point of view, but from an AI point of view, the career mode, and its even more challenging if you drive with a keyboard. Like me. They have made it challenging but at the same time drivable for those who just want a bit of fun. Its not codemasters who say that they make an arcade style physics engine because they cant make a proper simulation, it's the buying community, most of which prefer less simulation and more playable, enjoyable physics. (for them)

I really don't care what the graphics are like. As ling as it looks something like what its supposed to. I'll gladly play grand prix 3 any day. Its the gameplay that matters to me. And even though the physics lacks (for some people within their gaming community), the rest is awesome, the AI, the challenges, the scenarios, the career. Nice stuff if you like that kind of thing.

Not trying to stick up for codemasters here, of course there are many things they could improve on, but its the buying community that they're focusing on. Not full physics simulation. You give me one fully licensed un modded f1 game which looks, sounds (they got the sound bang on) and feels better than codemasters f1 2013 and I'll gladly buy it as long as its not more than £20
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

mertol

Buyers wanting easy handling is not an excuse to make an arcade F1 game. For F1 game anything less than full simulation is failure and if you want easy handling you just put assists in your game. They use the same graphics engine they use since 2007 , they port all their games from consoles and apart from a few team liveries and a few new tracks they don't add much content either. Their games are crap.

SectorOne

I agree. I think if you are buying Codemasters games you are doing an disservice to the gaming community, honestly.
Buy AC instead, a proper sim company. (and buy a wheel otherwise it´s a useless experience)

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"