Williams F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Kiril Varbanov

Re: Williams Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Pat Symonds explains the story behind the Williams miracle - http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/08/p ... s-miracle/

mikeerfol

Does Bottas have a contract for 2015?

Kiril Varbanov

mikeerfol wrote:Does Bottas have a contract for 2015?
Multi-year contract through 2014. I believe this means: nothing is set in stone for 2015, but Valteri has good options for 2015.

seinfeld

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:Does Bottas have a contract for 2015?
Multi-year contract through 2014. I believe this means: nothing is set in stone for 2015, but Valteri has good options for 2015.

Really?? WOW! would have thought they would do all they can to keep him.
Williams has been stuck last couple of years doing what Catharam and all the other teams that use paid drivers to keep a float. they would use up the money then throw then out to get in a new driver with more money. Its frigging sad. but now Williams are winning, and got a big amount of points. they might be able to attract a real driver soon and not chase risky drivers just for cash. And Bottas has certainly proved he is good enough. and hopefully he can keep a bit more sponsorship cash.

Massa has had Crap luck this season along with some silly mistakes yes. But who would you pair him with if Bottas went to Mclaren (that's the only decent move really)
Maybe see Williams bring Rubens back or Senna ? I dont see them getting Grosjean,Maldonado (they are both nowhere near F1 material, they dont deserve to be in F1)
Sutil again he isn't that good, neither is Count Unibrow Gutierrez
Kamuai Kobyashi and Ericson . NO way
chilton and Bianchi. Chilton hasn't had the car to even prove he can drive fast. so thats a risk. and Bianchi is a Ferrari driver, he would have to give up Ferrari sponsorship like Kobyashi did to drive for Catharam. So its a NO for both
Jenson Button is a BIG MAYBE ! magnusson will stay at Mclaren or leave F1

So I would say Jenson will get that seat as he is asking for too much cash to stay at Mclaren.

SectorOne

Williams might switch brake supplier next year due to complaints from Massa about glazing brakes experienced throughout the season.
"It's not the first time we had [glazing] this year," Massa told Autosport ahead of this week's Italian Grand Prix.

"Normally the brakes we used in the conditions like this, we had [glazing] a few times this year.

"It's not great to be honest, so it's something that we are still working on.

"It's impossible to warm up the [CI] brakes [in the wet]."

Williams performance chief Rob Smedley confirmed that they are considering making the change, as Massa suggests, but added that it isn't quite as straightforward as that.

"If you haven't done that, then it's a very big change to make to the car. It's something you couldn't just do between sessions," Smedley revealed.

"You have to set out at the start of the year essentially with your mechanical fixing that fixes the brake disc to the car able to accept both.

"We're going through the process now, but this team has been geared up to run with CI for many years now, so to change to another manufacturer is not wholly straightforward.

"With a certain amount of resource we have to consider where to put that resource the best. We can't put all of the company on to changing to Brembo material.

"We're considering the design and considering what to do for the future.

"For next year, that [a change to design of the mechanical fixing] will more than likely be the case."
http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/945 ... ke-changes
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

seinfeld

SectorOne wrote:Williams might switch brake supplier next year due to complaints from Massa about glazing brakes experienced throughout the season.
I think they should just have all 3 on hand like what Mercedes are doing. during FP1 and 2. the drivers try the various discs.
and then make a final decision at the end of FP2 and then when FP3 comes they run the desired brakes.

Williams run AP racing calipers and then the Hitco or carbon industries. Massa with his Ferrari experience has been a brembo man all the way. which are the best brake package. So he would prefer the disc/pad that has more bite. the carbon industry ones are very durable and offer not as much initial feel. So that could be worth a few Tenths to Massa. Brake feel is important. and around the right circuit would make such a difference. so I hope they do. felipe is a amazing driver and Williams usually is the place Brazilians career comes to a halt . we saw it with Senna, then barichello then Bruno Senna. So hopefully Felipe baby can stay cool, win some races for williams, win them a title and 'BRAKE' the curse :)

LookBackTime

F1 2014 - 13 Italian GP - Valtteri Bottas takes on clay shooting challenge

CHT
CHT

What Williams need now is stability within the team and I find that their current driver line fits the team perfectly and they should stick with them for next year or even 2016 if its possible.

mikeerfol

CHT wrote:What Williams need now is stability within the team and I find that their current driver line fits the team perfectly and they should stick with them for next year or even 2016 if its possible.
They are for next year ;)

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12476 ... sa-in-2015

roadie

I'm happy about BOT being retained. As for MAS, it has to be his last chance. He needs to make his own luck and perform like the mid 2000s again.

CHT
CHT

mikeerfol wrote:
CHT wrote:What Williams need now is stability within the team and I find that their current driver line fits the team perfectly and they should stick with them for next year or even 2016 if its possible.
They are for next year ;)

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12476 ... sa-in-2015
Very glad they make this decision. made perfect sense to me.

Sevach

Williams was dumb not to pit Bottas first today, luckly everything turned out allright.

FW17

I thought they should have taken RG who is defiantly a free agent

efuloni

The last time Williams kept the two same drivers for more than one season was 08-09, ROS and NAK and before that only Montoya/R. Schumacher. They made the right decision and if everything goes right next year, they might do the same for 2016.

LookBackTime

@pitlanetalk - Luca di Montezemolo at the Paris Auto Show today:

"One must be able to cope with changes and we are proud to close an important cycle. He (Alonso) gave everything and did extraordinary performances. We all thought and hoped we could achieve better results together."

Should Williams try to get him (Fernando Alonso)? That will be unbelievable.

If I will be Frank Williams I will try everything possible to get him.