Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit

HPD is Honda Performance Development, they basically build the Indy engines for Honda. Also I think Honda only has one current turbo charged production engine, in a cross-over SUV of all things, which I think they discontinued a year or two ago. That V6 twin turbo is what powers the HPD chassis in their P2 cars, that engine is not direct injected if I recall correctly.
Saishū kōnā

zenji

From the power unit installation drawings much could be gleaned, sizes for; compressor, turbine, plenum, tubing diameters for water and oil (fluid being incompressible), exhaust header dia and reversion step distances, centrelines for the gears in the valvetrain drive, port angles.
It would be a wealth of observation that could provide a window on the benchmark engine.
Honda wont come out of the pits winning immediately, but they should be able to follows Mercs movements on development by understanding the architecture of their designs, and find a 'leapfrog' step eventually to winning.

AnthonyG

Does an f1 engine has to be direct fuel injected? (I recall the toyota wec article where they said they saw no advantage in direct fuel injection)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

zenji

AnthonyG wrote:Does an f1 engine has to be direct fuel injected?
It will certainly help the power, the electrified turbo is where the party music is playing at the moment.

FW17

AnthonyG wrote:Does an f1 engine has to be direct fuel injected? (I recall the toyota wec article where they said they saw no advantage in direct fuel injection)
Regulations calls for direct injection

FW17

Honda motorsport boss Yasuhisa Arai has rubbished reports that the Japanese manufacturer’s new Formula 1 V6 turbo engine is down on power and behind schedule, and is adamant they can match the Mercedes unit which has dominated the 2014 season.

Speaking to the official F1 website, Arai declared, “I have confidence that we will match Mercedes.”

And added, “I think that the two other engine suppliers will recover next season – I strongly believe that. And we will be there too.”

Reports that the Honda power unit is behind schedule were also denied, “We are absolutely within our development plan. Our engine – or more precisely our power unit – is ready for a whole system check, but without the chassis. It will still need more time to bring the power unit and chassis together and then be able to run checks with the complete car.”

“In the next couple of weeks we will run simulations and at the beginning of next year we will start to run on the track – very likely at Jerez. That will very likely be the first time to show the whole car, the Honda engine and the McLaren chassis – the Honda McLaren,” added Arai.

Radical rule changes which came into effect this season were the reason which enticed Honda back to Formula 1, Arai acknowleged “it definitely was one reason for Honda to come back into Formula One, but there was also the fact that the lap times compared to the old engines are very similar.”

“We are talking about a technology that is very advanced. You can match the speed of the old engines, but with much smarter and resource-saving technology,” he said.”

Honda will supply McLaren exclusively in 2015, but the door may be open to service other F1 teams from 2016 onwards.

“In 2015 we don’t have the plan to supply any team other than McLaren. In 2016 or after, if some teams or partners ask us to supply them too, we will take a look at that situation. But even in 2016 McLaren will be our main partner in F1,” confirmed Arai.

But added, “Even if we supply other teams from 2016 onwards our main focus will always be to win, to make the engine better through more data, and not necessarily to look at a return on investment. If you win that comes automatically.

As for Mercedes’ huge success during the first year of the new technology in Formula 1, Arai ventured, “I can imagine that Mercedes found the perfect balance between their chassis and their power unit and that the others didn’t find that balance.” (GP247)

rscsr

I find it interesting that he called the next Car a Honda McLaren.

gruntguru

I wonder what McLaren would call it? 8)
je suis charlie

mclaren111

That means Honda is title sponser :D

flyboy2160

Enough of the arguing and name calling about acronyms. As pointed out, this is a technical forum, so the use of acronyms is entirely appropriate. If you don't know what something means either look it up online or ask politely.

MOWOG

Or send a PM to Flyboy Steve! :lol:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

NTS
NTS

gruntguru wrote:I wonder what McLaren would call it? 8)
That depends on how much Honda is paying :-)

markn93

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Anyone seen this? - https://twitter.com/takiinoue/status/517162876667441152

Genuine or have I/we been duped?

djos

markn93 wrote:Anyone seen this? - https://twitter.com/takiinoue/status/517162876667441152

Genuine or have I/we been duped?
Looks like a mock up / rendering to me...
"In downforce we trust"

Sasha

Honda is breaking all kinds of news now and people thought their PU wasn't ready.