2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

SUZUKA!! \:D/

For me the best driver´s track in the world, no other place with this kind of flow to it that i have come across.
Designed by a genius that went by the name of John Hugenholtz that also designed Zolder and the roller coaster Zandvoort.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SectorOne

Re: 2014 Japanese Grand Prix

Can´t wait to compare apex speeds in S1 between Mercedes and Red Bull.

As far as the championship fight goes, i think Rosberg might have the edge here actually.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mkay

SectorOne wrote:Can´t wait to compare apex speeds in S1 between Mercedes and Red Bull.

As far as the championship fight goes, i think Rosberg might have the edge here actually.
If we go by last year's form, Lewis was slightly faster. But that was last year so not quite relevant at this point.

SamH123

Re: 2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

One of the most disappointing things this year is the almost total lack of any car development

I imagine the pecking order will be Mercedes > gap > RB > small gap > Williams > very small gap > Ferrari

Tim.Wright

SamH123 wrote:One of the most disappointing things this year is the almost total lack of any car development
When you say total, you are of course referring to the 5 parts you can see from the outside?

I'm quite certain that the 1000's of other parts under the bodywork have been significantly developed (or reworked in the case of the suspension)
Not the engineer at Force India

Hail22

I'll go with the following for qualifying:

Wet top 5:

1. Ricciardo
2. Hamilton
3. Rosberg
4. Alonso
5. Massa

Dry top 5 Q:

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
4. Bottas
5. Vettel

Race finish wet top 3:

1. Hamilton
2. Ricciardo
3. Bottas

Dry:

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Juzh

SectorOne wrote:Can´t wait to compare apex speeds in S1 between Mercedes and Red Bull.
Why not vs RB6?

edit. lol u meant vs rb10? silly me. thought you meant webber's pole from last year.

SectorOne

The current Red Bull obviously :)
pointless comparing the Merc against cars that ran completely different regulations.

Webber´s lap is simply because it´s the latest Suzuka pole.

gray41

One track Hamilton is yet to win at, I expect a tough battle between him and Rosberg both for pole and the win, I think the harder tyre range should favour Hamilton though going off results during the season on those compounds.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

siskue2005

Are the two Degners changing from gravel to car parking lot ? Like parabolic?

MercedesAMGSpy

I think Lewis will be strong here, then again nothing between the two of them in Q3 in Singapore.

komninosm

My OCD makes me like this track for having same amount of turning left and right (figure 8 ).

basti313

gray41 wrote:One track Hamilton is yet to win at, I expect a tough battle between him and Rosberg both for pole and the win, I think the harder tyre range should favour Hamilton though going off results during the season on those compounds.
MercedesAMGSpy wrote:I think Lewis will be strong here, then again nothing between the two of them in Q3 in Singapore.
I just imagined the private massages between you two:
gray41: "The same procedure as last race?"
MercedesAMGSpy: "The same procedure as every race“
gray41: "Well, I’ll do my very best"
:lol:
Are you copy and pasting these in every race thread?

To make a reasonable guess:
To me Lewis looked better the more stop&go we had on the track. The more fast corners, the better Nico looked especially in the race. So I expect it to be close/slight advantage Rosberg if he nails Q.
The same for Redbull. This track favors Vettel, without a strategy fault again he should be ahead.
Don`t russel the hamster!

SectorOne

Love that sketch, watch it every single new years eve :)

-
Interesting fact brought by Mercedes. Hamilton and Vettel is now tied for the lead in most front row starts out of all the current drivers. (67 front rows)
And they are both 4th in the all time standings.

Shrieker

This has been one of Hamilton's unlucky tracks. He hasn't performed particularly well either - maybe with the exception of 2010 when he was fighting with gearbox troubles. In 2009 he managed to grab 2nd from Trulli but later lost it, arguably he shouldn't have. 2010 was his stand out performance at Suzuka, very well driven until one of the dog rings let go. 2011, lackluster. 2012, suspension component damaged. 2013 - puncture damage put him out. He'll be having his fingers crossed for better luck this time round.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk