Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Thunder

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 37314.html

So apparently Honda and McLaren confirmed for the first Time (at least to my knowledge) that McLaren is indeed building a Car to Test the new Honda Engine this Year already, supposedly at the Abu Dhabi Test. Also Yasuhisa Arai said Honda is almost on Schedule with the Engine.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

turbof1

Thunders wrote:http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 37314.html

So apparently Honda and McLaren confirmed for the first Time (at least to my knowledge) that McLaren is indeed building a Car to Test the new Honda Engine this Year already, supposedly at the Abu Dhabi Test. Also Yasuhisa Arai said Honda is almost on Schedule with the Engine.
The statement was made during the press conference

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116142
JN: Well, as Arai-san has said, we've been developing an experimental vehicle to support the engine and transmission integration. We continue to develop the car on the circuit this year, aerodynamically. And while we are not comfortable with where we're at, we're much more confident about the direction in which we're taking the team and the progress that we're seeing on the track. The gap to Mercedes still looks pretty eye-watering at times, so we've got a lot of work to do. The changes that Eric and I have made to the organisation, I'm happy that that's going in the right direction. We've just got to get out heads down now and get on with it now. It's going the right way.
An experimental vehicle could be anything though.
#AeroFrodo

Thunder

Re: Honda Power Unit

Right, could just be a very fast NSX hitting the Race Tracks soon. :D
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mrluke

From above link...
Q: Would you like to run the power unit in a McLaren before the end of the year? Is that feasible? Are you allowed to do that?

YA: Everyone asks this to me! McLaren and Honda work together to design and create an experimental test vehicle to check the power unit system but unfortunately we don't have an actual test plan but I hope if possible we will drive just before next season.

Q: You can't say any more than "just before next season"?

YA: Just before next season. End of the season and next season, during that time. That's my hope.

FW17

Thunders wrote:Right, could just be a very fast NSX hitting the Race Tracks soon. :D
Could be even a SF14 or GT500

ollandos

the car is mclaren P1
the chassis is mclaren .....

McLobby

Why not a civic...

bonjon1979

Pure speculation so I hope you don't mind. But I thought it was interesting listening to Boullier on the F1 show saying how he's keen to unfreeze the engines. Could be realising that Honda's going to need the chance to develop to catch Mercedes?

Sasha

turbof1 wrote:

JN: Well, as Arai-san has said, we've been developing an experimental vehicle to support the engine and transmission integration. We continue to develop the car on the circuit this year, aerodynamically. And while we are not comfortable with where we're at, we're much more confident about the direction in which we're taking the team and the progress that we're seeing on the track. The gap to Mercedes still looks pretty eye-watering at times, so we've got a lot of work to do. The changes that Eric and I have made to the organisation, I'm happy that that's going in the right direction. We've just got to get out heads down now and get on with it now. It's going the right way.
There been rumors of a LMP1(ARX-04a) at Woking.

turbof1

Any source about that?
#AeroFrodo

dren

Sasha wrote:
turbof1 wrote:

There been rumors of a LMP1(ARX-04a) at Woking.
You're not going to let them use your P1?
Honda!

Sasha

You mean my P1 with the only Honda engine in it?

xpensive

Would sit nice in this;

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

bhall II

From 2014 to 2015, as written in the regulations, 8% of the PU will be frozen (cylinder bore spacing, deck height, bank stagger, crank throw, main bearing journal diameter, rod bearing journal diameter, pneumatic valvetrain compressor/pressure regulation devices), and half of the remaining 92% can be modified, or 48% of the total PU. From 2015 to 2016, 23% of the PU will be frozen (everything listed above and a shitload of other stuff), and half of the remaining 77% can be modified: or 38% of the total PU.

My question is this: will Honda be obliged to follow the update schedule exactly as written, which ties updates to calendar years, or will their delayed entry be taken into account? In other words, will they be forced to bypass the initial 48% update entirely, because the 2016 rules only allow for a 38% update, or will they be allowed to make a 48% update on account of it being their first update?

It's a convoluted question; I hope it makes sense.

xpensive

Perhaps depending on performance, if the 2015 engine sets Monza on fire the FIA might not be too generous?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"