2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
prince

2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

Pole Lap 2013

2013 Qualifying

2013 Race Classification

Qualifying Best Sector Times
Last edited by prince on 13 Oct 2014, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

Re: 2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

On paper a Hamilton track. On paper that is; Nico upted the ante on a lot of tracks where Hamilton used to excell. Last year there was a huge gap between the 2, but he'll have it brought down by quite a bit.
#AeroFrodo

MercedesAMGSpy

Hamilton loves the States and this track. Even P4 in 2013 was a good result in that Mercedes.

prince

turbof1 wrote:On paper a Hamilton track. On paper that is; Nico upted the ante on a lot of tracks where Hamilton used to excell. Last year there was a huge gap between the 2, but he'll have it brought down by quite a bit.
Absolutely. But if you look at the recent trend and psychologically where each of them stands, things are in favor of Lewis. Lewis would clearly be knowing that, even if he qualifies behind Nico, he can put pressure and win in the race. On the other hand, Nico is now chasing a big lead, with trend against him. Like everyone else, I do hope that mechanical failures do not decide the fate of the drivers' championship. [-o<

McMrocks

Who came up with the idea to have a 3week break this late in the season?

Richard

McMrocks wrote:Who came up with the idea to have a 3week break this late in the season?
I suspect it is because Japan/Russia and USA/Brazil are both back to back. The teams need to catch their breath in between.

McMrocks

Richard wrote:
McMrocks wrote:Who came up with the idea to have a 3week break this late in the season?
I suspect it is because Japan/Russia and USA/Brazil are both back to back. The teams need to catch their breath in between.
Can't you do a 2 weeks break between each of them?

Unc1eM0nty

Love this place, by far the best of the modern tracks.

I think Lewis will be hard to beat, he looks to be in very good place mentally, if he misses out on pole it's no big deal.

SectorOne

Should be a good one this with lots of overtaking and stuff.

I´m guessing Merc on top (no sh1t sherlock) followed by Williams and Red Bull.
RBR i think will beat them in Q because S1 and S3 but Williams will be faster in the race.

then Mclaren then Ferrari and the usual suspects.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SiLo

I think Williams will just be faster than Red Bull in all sectors. I just think it's a very flowing circuit that will suit them quite well.
Felipe Baby!

SectorOne

So it seems Vettel won´t take part in Qualifying because of his engine penalty. Frankly if i was an F1 driver i would have taken part regardless of where i´m starting the day after, driving an F1 car on fumes is what it´s all about so i´m surprised to hear that from him.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Richard

How does that work with the penalties? Some people say the 10 places have to be accumulated, ie if you are only 5 from the back in qualifying then you have to take the remaining 5 at the next race?

mikeerfol

Richard wrote:How does that work with the penalties? Some people say the 10 places have to be accumulated, ie if you are only 5 from the back in qualifying then you have to take the remaining 5 at the next race?
Yes, that's correct (but only applies to one race). Vettel will change all 6 parts and that's why he'll start from the pit lane.

Richard

If you don't take part in qualifying then you start from the pit lane anyway. Hence no loss of position for changing the engine? Surely the penalty would carry over to Brazil?

Edit to add: So it seems the pitlane is the default penalty for a complete new PU. No carry over to the next race. So it would seem that people expecting to qualify 12th or less would better off with a complete new PU, because a partial update sends them to the back anyway and there's no risk of carry over.

Is that also true for an engine change after qualifying? If you expect to change an engine soon and get knocked out in Q3 then why not get the PU change over and done with straight away. Only ruins one race not two?

Just_a_fan

SectorOne wrote:So it seems Vettel won´t take part in Qualifying because of his engine penalty. Frankly if i was an F1 driver i would have taken part regardless of where i´m starting the day after, driving an F1 car on fumes is what it´s all about so i´m surprised to hear that from him.
Doesn't his participation in the race rely on the goodwill of the stewards and other teams? You can't just turn up on race day without either qualifying or being given permission from the stewards.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.