What would you add to F1technical?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
checkered

Ive noticed that - Total posts in General chat>Posts in other forums put together!! Id recommend encouraging users to post more topics in other forums like off topic chat & other racing series too.
Well, I don't perceive myself as a very well established

F1T resident (yet), but to me it seems that what you've observed follows naturally from the overall emphasis of the site. The bar to post on the "General" section is a bit lower as "A,C&T" and "E,T&C" require a specific motivation to stay relevant and on topic. Plus, looking at the older threads, there really is a distinctive standard and a culture of postings (well fouded, argumentative, looking out for the general interest kinda things) that is worth nurturing even if everyone has their own personal interpretation and approach to the themes.

Similarly "Other racing series" and "Off topic" quite naturally don't dominate, since this is F1Technical. There are myriads of sites generally devoted to cars and seemingly even more forums detailing all kinds of aspects of (usually fast road going two seater) vehicles to the delight of very, very many enthusiasts that find such things rewarding. On the other hand there are very few sites devoted solely to F1 technology and not many more message boards that have active and anywhere near enthusiastic and knowledgeable participants in an especially devoted section to F1 technology. Currently I don't even need all the fingers in either of my hands to count those that I know of.

I can kinda see an upside and a downside in being more liberal with postings. The upside would be that we can't perceive all the possible synergies in an open environment and that there are very many very knowledgeable people here that can find inspiration to explore and explain things in depth even if the original observations seem detached or superficial. On the other hand there's a risk that the conversations get cluttered, people feel overwhelmed and the "leading light" i.e. the general theme gets somewhat lost.

Enthusiasm and an active attitude are always a positive, so I guess in the end it's all about making small choices, one by one, and try not to worry about it too much.

Ciro Pabón

I just saw at 10 Tenths a new feature I found extremely rational: a "Similar Threads" frame at the bottom of the standard page for threads (in the forum). There is also a new button called "View First Unread" at the top of every thread page.
Ciro

Ciro Pabón

Am I the only one that has lost a post because you take an eternity to write it, and THEN, when you submit it, you lose what you wrote because there is a "time-out" feature that logs you out after a while? Or is my PC doing weird things? (it would be the first time... ;))
Ciro

mx_tifoso

Ciro Pabón wrote:Am I the only one that has lost a post because you take an eternity to write it, and THEN, when you submit it, you lose what you wrote because there is a "time-out" feature that logs you out after a while? Or is my PC doing weird things? (it would be the first time... ;))
Well, considering the fact that almost every post you make is about 3/4 of a page long (or longer!), I could imagine it takes a very long time to write it, and maybe, just maybe, you have just discovered a brand new feature of F1t; the maximum length of a log-in ! :shock: :lol:

Solo es una broma, sus "posts" son de muy buena calidad, y yo diria que son unos, o si no los mas sabios, en este foro. Siga adelante.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Tom

I used to have a time out feature but I haven't seen it since we got the new log in box, are you sure you have the 'remember me' box ticked Ciro?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild

Ciro Pabón wrote:Am I the only one that has lost a post because you take an eternity to write it, and THEN, when you submit it, you lose what you wrote because there is a "time-out" feature that logs you out after a while? Or is my PC doing weird things? (it would be the first time... ;))
Happens to me too, although I always copy what I wrote before I click to play Russian roulette with expired session. It should be extended to 30 minutes or even more.

Steven
Owner

manchild wrote:
Happens to me too, although I always copy what I wrote before I click to play Russian roulette with expired session. It should be extended to 30 minutes or even more.
Allright will look into it. Checking the "remember me" option when logging in will definately solve your problem though. I have that on and don't get logged out, ever ;)

Ciro Pabón

mx_tifosi wrote:Well, considering the fact that almost every post you make is about 3/4 of a page long (or longer!), I could imagine it takes a very long time to write it, and maybe, just maybe, you have just discovered a brand new feature of F1t; the maximum length of a log-in ! :shock: :lol:
Just because those microscopic posts, that you write in a few nanoseconds, don't have problems with the log in time, it does not mean other members have problems with their more reasonable ones... :lol: That's another lame joke, of course.

Thanks, Tom and Tomba: I will check the "Remember me" thingie (I hate them, I use my "magic wand" in Opera, that remembers all my passwords for me, so nobody can enter a site like me using my PC).

Another comment: why you can delete your posts on some threads and you cannot in others?
Ciro

Saribro

Ciro Pabón wrote:Thanks, Tom and Tomba: I will check the "Remember me" thingie (I hate them, I use my "magic wand" in Opera, that remembers all my passwords for me, so nobody can enter a site like me using my PC).
Yeah, now they will have to resort to pressing the wand button or ctrl+enter :).

Carlos

I occasionally run out of time writing posts - but it's because I'm massaging language for a certain nuance - which takes time - just like it takes time to read the links and time to ponder why I have not changed to Opera :wink:

m3_lover

I wouldn't mind a Ciro's Corner..where he makes bi-weekly or montly editorals or articles that promote discussion relating to motorsports or F1.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

GTO

Probably requested already, but I'd like to see the following:

Current World Championship
-Drivers standings
-Constructors standings

Historical Standings

mx_tifoso

Definately a must, a section completely dedicated to Michael Schumacher & Ferrari 8), or maybe just for Ferrari will be fine :D .
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

vyselegend

Not exactly something to add to f1T, but I want to remind you all about the developpement blog. :!:

I just checked it and I got surprised to see 90% of blogs are without a comment.
There are regulary some of you fellas who complain that "f1t should stick to the technical side of F1" etc, but I had more sucsess speaking with you about the beavers around Montreal's track than Tomba with his detailed blog reviews of teams aero developpement. :wink:

I tryed to contribute in my way, but I'm far from any aero knowlege so I struggle to find any interesting comment. So please remember to check it sometimes.

Note that I don't intend to play the su*ker :wink: ! I just fear Tomba get bothered and withdraw with the dev blog if it has no sucsess.

Venom

manchild wrote:Happens to me too, although I always copy what I wrote before I click to play Russian roulette with expired session. It should be extended to 30 minutes or even more.
It has nothing to do with at your end. It is the forum option called "Session length" which automatically logs you out after certain amount of idling time. It is used for obvious security reasons to prevent other users reach into your account at public or shared computers after you have left the PC.

In Administration Settings, the session length options is found under Cookie settings -> "Session length [ seconds ]"
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.