Francois Cevert : 40 years ago

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Re: Francois Cevert : 40 years ago

There is a clip where Francois and Ronnie are showing their underwear, I will try to find it.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

lebesset

fritticaldi wrote:Oct.6, 1973 during qualifications for the US GP at Watkins Glen, NY. Francois Cevert driving the Tyrrell lost his life. This death was the reason Jackie Stewart retired from the sport having witnessed countless deaths in his career. Jackie didn't even participate in the race the following day leaving him at 99 GP starts. The sport that day was deprived from surely a future champion. Feel free to add any info or thoughts about this great driver who died way before his time.
jackie had already announced that this was to be his final race
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

strad

Stewart was already going to retire... just one race later.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Sombrero

http://www.rts.ch/archives/tv/sports/ca ... evert.html

Here there is a video in french about François. It was made by the TSR during the 1972 Monaco GP. That rainy race was won by his stepbrother Jean-Pierre Kov... Beltoise !

DOHC

GitanesBlondes wrote:
xpensive wrote:In parallel to his 1971 F1 season, when he won the US GP at Watkins Glen, he was favorite to win the European F2 championship in a Tecno, but after two wins and a 3rd followed eight DNFs. Ronnie Peterson was pretty unknown when the season began.

But they were great friends, most of them were in those days.
That reminds me of this photo.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 5d1635.jpg

Nice to see that picture. I took it, at the start of the Swedish GP on 17 June, 1973. Pentax Spotmatic (1969, serial #2470473), Tokina 135mm/2.8 lens. Tech details aside, it was a great race, at least for home fans, as Ronnie Peterson led 78 of its 80 laps.

That's one of my favorite F1 pics I have taken (and that's why I put it on the web many years ago), in spite of not being a "race pic." The guys are waiting for the flag to drop, perhaps a whole second away.

It was great to have a grandstand seat this close.

Cheers,
DOHC

xpensive

Ronnie leading Francois in the 1971 Rouen F2 race;

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

GitanesBlondes

DOHC wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:
xpensive wrote:In parallel to his 1971 F1 season, when he won the US GP at Watkins Glen, he was favorite to win the European F2 championship in a Tecno, but after two wins and a 3rd followed eight DNFs. Ronnie Peterson was pretty unknown when the season began.

But they were great friends, most of them were in those days.
That reminds me of this photo.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 5d1635.jpg

Nice to see that picture. I took it, at the start of the Swedish GP on 17 June, 1973. Pentax Spotmatic (1969, serial #2470473), Tokina 135mm/2.8 lens. Tech details aside, it was a great race, at least for home fans, as Ronnie Peterson led 78 of its 80 laps.

That's one of my favorite F1 pics I have taken (and that's why I put it on the web many years ago), in spite of not being a "race pic." The guys are waiting for the flag to drop, perhaps a whole second away.

It was great to have a grandstand seat this close.

Cheers,
DOHC
Fantastic picture you took!

Do you have anymore you took that day that you can share with us?
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

DOHC

GitanesBlondes wrote:
Fantastic picture you took!

Do you have anymore you took that day that you can share with us?
I do, but unfortunately I don't have them digitized. Would have to start digging through negative archives...