Manor MNR1 - Ferrari (aka 2015 Marussia)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Manor MNR1 - Ferrari (aka 2015 Marussia)

RCE - 2015 Marussia F1 design revealed
Manor MNR1- Ferrari wrote:

The incomplete Marussia 2015 Formula 1 car design has been revealed after the teams financial collapse. Shown here as an incomplete wind tunnel model the car which would have been called the Manor MNR1-Ferrari carries over much of the 2014 design.

New rules being introduced for the 2015 season mean that the nose structures of the cars have to be reworked and the Manor-Marussia solution is clear to see on this scale model. Compared to the 2014 MR03 the front of the chassis is lower and as a result the front suspension pushrod mountings have created blisters on the upper surface of the tub. A new front wing endplate design is also evident.

Manor MNR1At the rear of the car the 2014 concept has largely carried over with the much copied Y-Lon rear wing support. The wing itself is updated compared to the last version seen on a Marussia MR03 (in Sochi), the endplate now features Ferrari style strakes on its outer edge and twin vents on the leading edge instead of the single vent seen at Sochi.

It is conceivable that Marussia had intended to modify its MR03 chassis to meet the new for 2015 rules in an attempt to reduce costs, which highlights the amount of similarity seen with the new design, but also its likely that the Marussia engineers were utilising the same model used for the 2014 design for the 2015 work.

Thunder

Re: Manor MNR1 - Ferrari

Great Find. Nice to see an F1 Car this early in Development.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Sjamaan

Re: Manor MNR1 - Ferrari

That is a long, loooong nose. Very interesting indeed.

diemaster

Re: Manor MNR1 - Ferrari (aka 2015 Marussia)

very good , i like it :)

wesley123

the car which would have been called the Manor MNR1-Ferrari
A little off-topic but this sounds like Marussia pulled out of the team.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

SunsAnvil

Marussia (the car company) went bust as far as I am aware. It's a real shame that the team cannot, somehow, be resurrected as they always seemed to be more professional that some of the other backmarkers of the same vintage. And that car looks quite nice!

Blackout

Re: Marussia MR03 Ferrari

Definitely a 2015 nose. A deeply modified 2014 car IMO (airbox turbo inlet a bit different, monocoque bulkhead a bit different etc)

atlantis

Is it a 50% wind tunnel model?
Or smaller?

SunsAnvil

I've been thinking about this some more. It's got a Ferrari engine. The chassis looks OK but would benefit from an established team investing some time (like RB and STR) why isn't Ferrari putting their efforts into this instead of a possible HAAS team which may never even fly.

Blackout

The second section of the nose seems to have a 'T' shape, (not a simple rectangle because it looks too thin to me).

But it seems they kept the same dimension as the 2014 finger nose for the first section.

Daliracing

Can someone actually take the team over and use their gridspot? Would love to see this car completed

Manoah2u

damn, that's a awesome looking prototype.

However, might raise doubt on whether this prototype does any good - Marrusia staff is made redundant and they're effectively 'gone' - despite having points that would be a good cash-in for next season. Question that may raise then
is, was Marussia effectively over before Japan already or did the test results / windtunnel results for this 2015 prototype
made them decide they've invested and spent money to no luck and it's better to stop effective immidiately?

I like to see varying designs on the 2015 noses, this one is interesting though - but is it practical and effective?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

bill shoe

The lower front wishbone is old style, rather than Mercedes 2014 style. I'd think any clean sheet of paper car would use the new Merc style, so maybe the aero model is basically the 2014 Marussia with a 2015-spec nose. I'm almost surprised Marussia had the money to build or buy a wind tunnel model of this 2014-15 combination.

aleks_ader

bill shoe wrote:The lower front wishbone is old style, rather than Mercedes 2014 style. I'd think any clean sheet of paper car would use the new Merc style, s
Uh NO! It is not so that simple. Different AERO concepts around front tire. Front tire wake and outwash combined with rear floor demands are all different.

Even so if you are Marussia you wanna 1st make solid base and make sure that you understand the "basic" of "average" design from the grid.

+that mussings around unproved and lack of data on that early state of development could drain money even quicker.

It makes totally sense to made just urgent changes around well known "AERO" concepts. And that the 2014 car definitely was.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

And 1 important factor: They need something to "pull" new sponsors or investors in.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna