Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

This is the speculation thread about the 2015 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

A few topic suggestions:

The new power unit's name: Since it the 2014 PU was called the PU106A Hybrid Power Unit, the new one could be called PU106B?
#AeroFrodo

Pieoter

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation Thread

I heard that it has more ellipses than ever before

radosav

Can they race 2014 car? Is it legal for 2015 season?

Harsha

radosav wrote:Can they race 2014 car? Is it legal for 2015 season?
I think they need to change their Nose model which will be Illegal IMO but im not so sure
and apart from that they will redo their rear suspension in order to cope more BHP which they will eek out from 2015 engine.
So 2014 with new nose will be legal in my view but it will be 100% they will upgrade their car

Edit: this confirms what i thought 2014 Merc nose will be illegal along with other noses and surprisingly only ferrari nose is Legal ,
http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2014/0/1246.html

Blackout

Harsha wrote:
radosav wrote:Can they race 2014 car? Is it legal for 2015 season?
I think they need to change their Nose model which will be Illegal IMO but im not so sure
and apart from that they will redo their rear suspension in order to cope more BHP which they will eek out from 2015 engine.
So 2014 with new nose will be legal in my view but it will be 100% they will upgrade their car

Edit: this confirms what i thought 2014 Merc nose will be illegal along with other noses and surprisingly only ferrari nose is Legal ,
http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2014/0/1246.html
Surprisingly Piola (who made these animations) is very wrong. He seems to think that 140mm is the nose tip minimum width while it's the maximum width. 850mm is not the nose's maximum lenght, it's the minimum length allowed by the new rules. AMuS makes the same mistake.
The Ferrari 2014 nose is too wide... take a look at the 2015 Marussia nose. 2015 noses will either have a small 'finger'/tongue or a triangular tip.
Last edited by Blackout on 28 Nov 2014, 13:31, edited 2 times in total.

turbof1

Correct, it's too wide. I personally think the keel nose like the red bull comes closest to a 2015 legal one, though that too needs a bit of change.
#AeroFrodo

mrluke

IIRC 140mm is the maximum width at 50mm behind the tip, I dont think a linear taper is applied between that section and the next cross section.

i.e. at 51mm behind the tip the nose could be 300mm wide?

Blackout

Yes.

Harsha

Do any body have how much estimated Difference we have between the three PU's in-terms of BHP
Horner said they have 70 BHP deficit and i can't believe that and even if we assume Renault have 50-70 BHP deficit where that will leave Ferrari engine then 80 BHP deficit
also with reports suggesting Bosch making fuel injection much better and a bit more BHP can be eeked out of Merc can we see 750BHP from engine alone just like V8's?

MercedesAMGSpy

Why Mercedes could be more dominant
The word on the street – whether through the paddock grapevine or via engineers who have switched camps and spilled the beans on what’s really going on at Merc’s power-unit HQ in Brixworth – is that the German make could be even further ahead next year than this.

Engineers suggest that Mercedes’ energy recovery systems are not actually the best on the grid, so it knows it has plenty of room for improvement in that area during the window for developments this winter.

Furthermore, potentially bigger gains could come from its exhausts. The concept used by the German car manufacturer this year did not deliver maximum power and, because it has managed to make improvements elsewhere in terms of aerodynamic compromises and weight saving, it could unleash a better system in 2015 to lift its horsepower even more. Mercedes itself admits that it won’t be resting on its laurels after a dominant campaign, and its sights are set on a big leap forward in 2015.

Engine chief Andy Cowell told me after Abu Dhabi: “The way the sporting regulations have been set up, throughout the year, you develop and at the start of the next year you introduce a big upgrade. It’s a big list of development opportunities.

The talk of Mercedes pushing hard will only add to the concern that some of its rivals have already. If you speak in private to rival team members, there are fears that the German behemoth could be unleashing as much as 70bhp more than it has at the moment.
Source: http://mercf1fans.com/

Blackout

Harsha wrote:Do any body have how much estimated Difference we have between the three PU's in-terms of BHP
Horner said they have 70 BHP deficit and i can't believe that and even if we assume Renault have 50-70 BHP deficit where that will leave Ferrari engine then 80 BHP deficit
also with reports suggesting Bosch making fuel injection much better and a bit more BHP can be eeked out of Merc can we see 750BHP from engine alone just like V8's?
I believe the Mercedes and Renault ICE are very close to each other in term of BHP and that Merc PU provides much more electrical power to the Kers (max 160hp) for a longer period of time thanks to a very nice ERS system and the great architecture. IMO the merc MGUH consumes less electrcial energy thanks to that layout. And we can assume the Merc cooling system generates less drag and is lighter...

prince

Besides the ongoing PU topic, is there someone out there who have an answer to this question?

While Honda was in focus for their much anticipated track debut and in even more for the unhappy and unfortunate problems they encountered, WAS THERE A POSSIBILITY THAT, Merc tested their 2015 PU quietly and went home without catching anyone's eye? I am sure they would not be in Abu Dhabi for Desert Safari for two days, I mean just concentrating on Pirelli's 2015 compounds. The PU team was working on the development of 2015 PU since the freezing back in February and they would have really wanted to see the stability of their upgrades. I am not aware of any rule that stops an Engine manufacturer from track testing of 2015 PU in the recently concluded Abu Dhabi Test.

Anyone please?

Gaz.

I can't find any date where then engines become unlocked, so I am assuming it was from the point the results of the Abu Dhabi GP were finalised?
Forza Jules

Harsha

Gaz. wrote:I can't find any date where then engines become unlocked, so I am assuming it was from the point the results of the Abu Dhabi GP were finalised?
After the Yas Marina 2 day Test i believe as it was the official end to 2014 season

noel

i'm really curious if merc can pull off even better fuel consumption above 10,500 rpm next year. just think of the straight-line speed they could achieve - i imagine them easily doing 240 at monza. plus it would be great to hear the new pu when the limiter kicks in at 15,000.
44 | 22 | 14