Ferrari SF15-T Pre-Launch Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Javert

Ferrari SF15-T Pre-Launch Speculation Thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2015 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

Topc sugggestions:
-Car name (Ferrari last year held a public poll to decide the name, which ended very conviently for them on F14T (FIAT)).
-Engine name and speculation
-Impact of engineers (car related).

Actual rumors:

- Front pull rod gone
- Rear pull rod change completely, and become similar to Allison's Lotus one
- 100% MGU-H energy recovery gain
- Aerodinamically, wind tunnel numbers are worse than F14T :mrgreen:

thedutchguy

Re: Ferrari 666 Pre-Launch Speculation

I guess this is based upon the rumors which autosprint published? Let's wait and see, I don't see anything which is substantiated in that article.

Also, next years Ferrari will definitely not be called 'Ferrari 666'. I even doubt that it's even the current code name for the project. You simply can't to that in a country as catholic as Italy. :D

diffuser

well McLaren has had some issues adjusting after the making the jump back to push-rod front end. It's gonna affect the airflow.

Anyways there are still 5 months of updates before that car is raced.

Pierce89

Its no surprise the windtunnel numbers are still behind the f14t. Aerodynamics is by far the f14t's strongest point. The aero is the only reason they've gotten any results from the weakest engine on the grid this year.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

xpensive

Wonder where they got that idea, number of the beast?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

timbo

xpensive wrote:Wonder where they got that idea, number of the beast?
By adding 1 to 665? Doesn't seem that far fetched.

I guess the biggest question at this point is will they change engine layout to something similar to Merc? The decision should have been made not later than early summer. Right now they should be already laying up first tub to have it finished before Christmas break.

Harsha

F666 is now 3 points aerodynamically better than the F14T
And that despite the new need for more cooling because the more powerful engine

trinidefender

Harsha wrote:F666 is now 3 points aerodynamically better than the F14T
Source?

Harsha

trinidefender wrote:
Harsha wrote:F666 is now 3 points aerodynamically better than the F14T
Source?
Omnicourse wrote:The Omnicorse but now writes for this news needless worry, the Italian engineers since the last time a major, three-point improvement in the aerodynamics field
http://www.telesport.hu/2014/10/28/megs ... s-ferrari/

Javert

Well McLaren and Mercedes points means 30 points = around 1 s faster

So se may deduce 3 points = 1 tenth faster .. Better than nothing :D

Thunder

So does that mean they are now only 1,9 sec. slower than the F14T or actually 0.1 sec faster?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Harsha

Thunders wrote:So does that mean they are now only 1,9 sec. slower than the F14T or actually 0.1 sec faster?
Faster than 0.1 sec over Sauber :lol:
I believe its over F14T they found 3 Points of DF at wind tunnel stage but i take this with pinch of salt as one week ago they stated the values showing worse than this year car i.e F14T and then a week later it came out with this statement

prince

Pierce89 wrote:Its no surprise the windtunnel numbers are still behind the f14t. Aerodynamics is by far the f14t's strongest point. The aero is the only reason they've gotten any results from the weakest engine on the grid this year.
You aren't comparing to any other car right? I would like to presume that the benchmark for F14T is F14T itself. Otherwise, F14T stands naked in comparison to cars like W04, RB10 and FW36 which are obviously ahead of Ferrari. Which then means, compared to competition, their Aerodynamics are quite weak. If their aerodynamics were great; 1. They should have been lighting up the corners, but unfortunately, F14T has struggled to get through the corners and has displayed poor balance. 2. They should have had considerable margin over Sauber C33 in straight line speed, which isn't the case either as the margin quite small (Its Sauber). Then I wonder how is the F14T great aerodynamics wise?

Crucial_Xtreme

prince wrote:
You aren't comparing to any other car right? I would like to presume that the benchmark for F14T is F14T itself. Otherwise, F14T stands naked in comparison to cars like W04, RB10 and FW36 which are obviously ahead of Ferrari. Which then means, compared to competition, their Aerodynamics are quite weak. If their aerodynamics were great; 1. They should have been lighting up the corners, but unfortunately, F14T has struggled to get through the corners and has displayed poor balance. 2. They should have had considerable margin over Sauber C33 in straight line speed, which isn't the case either as the margin quite small (Its Sauber). Then I wonder how is the F14T great aerodynamics wise?
I agree with Pierce that the chassis & Aerodynamics of the F14T were its strong points. I believe Ferrari is finally on top of its Aero game, as unlike in previous years, all Aerodynamic updates this year were tried in free practice and used in Quali and the race. Something that hasn't happened in years.

I believe the poor balance of the car and at times its lack of traction is due to the poor Power Unit, the poor ERS, and poor mapping software. Hopefully progress is made on all three phases in 2015.

Harsha

Crucial_Xtreme wrote: I agree with Pierce that the chassis & Aerodynamics of the F14T were its strong points. I believe Ferrari is finally on top of its Aero game, as unlike in previous years, all Aerodynamic updates this year were tried in free practice and used in Quali and the race. Something that hasn't happened in years.

I believe the poor balance of the car and at times its lack of traction is due to the poor Power Unit, the poor ERS, and poor mapping software. Hopefully progress is made on all three phases in 2015.
I wont go much ahead but if Ferrari got better in PU elements and its software can they come close to Williams or Redbull in a straight fight. As we also presume they can also get ahead with development on both sides (PU and Chassis)