Manor MNR1 - Ferrari (aka 2015 Marussia)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mikeerfol

Re: Manor MNR1 - Ferrari (aka 2015 Marussia)

DisgruntledMarussian wrote:...
Thank you for sharing all this with us, always good to read posts from people inside Formula 1.

turbof1

Quite a few members have expressed their sincere gratitude already, and I'd like to do as well.

DisgruntledMarussian, a big thank you for the effort you put in the response. The MR04 would have been, based on the info you've given, a great car. I think I speak for everybody that we hope that somehow the team still gets picked up and that we see yours and every other former employee's work, next year on the grid, with all of you aside it, watching it proudly!
#AeroFrodo

markn93

Great response Disgruntled Marussian, thank you. Hope you are soon a Contented Mclarian (or something along those lines).

CBeck113

“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

dren

I always thought the Marussia cars were some of the best looking on the grid. They caught, fought and beat the Caterhams. I wish they were still around.
Honda!

DisgruntledMarussian

Sorry for the slow reply. Been a little busy this week.

How close did this estimation regarding the wheelbase come for this year's car?...Pretty close, good work!

Can you give some rough numbers on
- cl, cd and reference area, how did cl change in the season....
Not a chance, that would be giving a few to many secrets away.

- engine power output (ICE + MGUH) and efficiency, if not for the Ferrari PU, maybe some estimations of the Merc and Renault one. I'd put it obviously Merc, Renault, Ferrari. But i would guess that the Ferrari might be a little tiny more efficient than the Renault judging by some towards end of race performances where its seem as if the Renault engines had to be tuned down to make fuel.

- tyre friction figures and how it decreases with increasing load...Nope

Is the B-type nose known to the F1 teams? :mrgreen: Im not sure what you mean by B-type nose?!?

Also would be interesting to know what were the reasons for initially going for a longer chassis, but subsequently shortening it despite a higher centre of gravity on high fuel due to the fuel tank shape.

I would say the the 2015 tank was a fairly normal hight, just the 2014 tank was particularly low as there is a heat exchanger above the tank fed from the roll hoop.

Thank you for taking the time to come on here, just as a quick technical question - on average for a backmarker team, how much of the development is inspired via detailed pictures of leading teams cars and how much is thought up completely from scratch?

Teams are always looking at detailed pictures of each other looking for interesting or unusual additions and spend time learning the attributes the add to the overall flow structure of the car. But you still have to try new and innovative stuff to make evolutionary jumps every now and then. For instance there are a few small interesting things in the pictures of MR04 that I'm surprised have not been picked up on.

bdr529

DisgruntledMarussian could you please answer this question for me,
on the front wing, is the end plate open at the back of the wing and if so is it all the way or just the top half ? I'm colour blind and can"t tell or see in this case. Thanks
Image Image

astracrazy

DisgruntledMarussian wrote:For instance there are a few small interesting things in the pictures of MR04 that I'm surprised have not been picked up on.
now i'm looking at the images to look for something lol any hints?
bdr529 wrote:DisgruntledMarussian could you please answer this question for me,
on the front wing, is the end plate open at the back of the wing and if so is it all the way or just the top half ? I'm colour blind and can"t tell or see in this case. Thanks
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/ ... 40cb6a.jpg http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/ ... b7fe9c.jpg
it looks that way to me. also with a vertical lip off the leading edge of the wing 'floor'

Blanchimont

Well, the horns at the front suspension push rod and the lower front of the survival cell are interesting, probably due to the §15.4.4 that says

"No part of the survival cell, nor any part rigidly attached to it (with the exception of the panel of prescribed laminate referred to in Article 3.7.9), may lie above a diagonal line starting 525mm above the reference plane at A-A and rising to 625mm above the reference plane at a point 375mm behind A-A."

The cooling inlet at the top of the engine cover is gone, maybe the cooling packaging has improved and now needs less space.
And at the bodywork at the back seems to be extended around the rear suspensions arms similar to the Mercedes.
What about the shape of the brake ducts at the rear, are they more complex than before?
Does the main rear wing profile differ in the cross section when cut at the car center line and near the endplates?
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

turbof1

bdr529 wrote:DisgruntledMarussian could you please answer this question for me,
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/ ... 40cb6a.jpg http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/ ... b7fe9c.jpg
I think it's open. Looks pretty much in line with current endplate trend. Ferrari has it merged with the edge of the upper element.

Interesting is the little strake at the back on the footplate. That's a complex interaction of several gradients of air pressures.
#AeroFrodo

Owen.C93

DisgruntledMarussian wrote: For instance there are a few small interesting things in the pictures of MR04 that I'm surprised have not been picked up on.
Only thing I can notice if the bar between the rear wing and the top of the crash structure, is that part of the model or just a brace for measuring-equipment?
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bdr529

astracrazy wrote: it looks that way to me. also with a vertical lip off the leading edge of the wing 'floor'
turbof1 wrote: I think it's open. Looks pretty much in line with current endplate trend. Ferrari has it merged with the edge of the upper element.
Interesting is the little strake at the back on the footplate. That's a complex interaction of several gradients of air pressures.

thanks guys, It was driving me nuts, I must have wasted 20min. trying to figure it out before I finally gave up

P.S. Before you ask the "obvious question", the answer is: The traffic lights are always green for me :D

gandharva

Is it just me, or does this car feature a exhaust blown monkey seat? The monkey seat looks like it's structurally integrated into the rear end bodywork. This looks completely differnet to some 2014 designs. E.g. RBRs monkey seat.

adrianjordan

DisgruntledMarussian, great to have your insight on here.

I don't think I've spotted anyone asking this yet, but how are your prospects (and those of your fellow Marussians) looking for remaining part of the F1 circus or are you looking further afield?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

trinidefender

Are there any more pictures of the proposed 2015 car or any with a higher resolution?