Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Phil

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

Yes indeed. Was there a broadcast from the event?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Juzh

Ricciardo is overkilling it a bit with that smile.

NewtonMeter

Juzh wrote:Ricciardo is overkilling it a bit with that smile.
Haha, it does look a bit like he's about to go for your throat.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Manoah2u

Ricciardo IS smile, i think that's just his normal face :lol:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

user001

turbof1 wrote:
kooleracer wrote:Beginning of the season:

W04 fastest lap during qualifiying by Rosberg in Bahrein 2013: 1:32.330
W05 fastest lap during qualifiying by Rosberg in Bahrein 2014: 1:33.185

End of this season:
RB9 fastest lap during qualifiying by Webber in Abu Dhabi 2013: 1:39.957
W05 fastest lap during qualifiying by Rosberg in Abu Dhabi 2014: 1:40.480

The W06 could set new pole records next year of they can find a 1 second in the winter. I'm that the will find a big margin. We finally could get rid of some old records that are there for the taking. A lot of the records were set in the V10 era, would be great if the W06 could be the first hybrid F1 car that is quicker then a naturally aspirated V10 on some tracks.
I think they'll find more then one second. They already have one from the engine, and it might just be possible to find another through the aero.
It was reported that Mercedes will find another 60-70 HP on the engine for next season. Is that you saying 60-70 HP equal to about one second lap time?

I doubt the future cars will be quicker than the V10 at all, ever.

all the downforce lost, all the cubic capacity lost compared to the V10. no chance for me..

NewtonMeter

winth304 wrote: It was reported that Mercedes will find another 60-70 HP on the engine for next season. Is that you saying 60-70 HP equal to about one second lap time?

all the downforce lost, all the cubic capacity lost compared to the V10. no chance for me..
I'm not professing to know this in any way, but I haven't ever heard anyone say that the V10 cars were downforce kings (I'm with you on the power subject though).

I believe the 2008 cars had a bit more downforce. The EBD cars, I've heard, also had some serious of downforce. If this is the case, then it stands to reason that it may be possible to develope the current car configurations to such an extent that they're producing more downforce than the V10 cars. In which case, it may be theoretically possible to break some of their laprecords. Especially on tracks with long straights, as I believe the current cars are starting to come close the V10 top speeds.

I'm neutral on the subject though, so I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

user001

NewtonMeter wrote:
winth304 wrote: It was reported that Mercedes will find another 60-70 HP on the engine for next season. Is that you saying 60-70 HP equal to about one second lap time?

I'm not professing to know this in any way, but I haven't ever heard anyone say that the V10 cars were downforce kings (I'm with you on the power subject though).

I believe the 2008 cars had a bit more downforce. The EBD cars, I've heard, also had some serious of downforce. If this is the case, then it stands to reason that it may be possible to develope the current car configurations to such an extent that they're producing more downforce than the V10 cars. In which case, it may be theoretically possible to break some of their laprecords. Especially on tracks with long straights, as I believe the current cars are starting to come close the V10 top speeds.

I'm neutral on the subject though, so I'm happy to be proven wrong.
does anyone know what the grip levels of the tyres were at the V10 age compared to today?

Morteza

Autosport wrote: Mercedes F1 team boosted by changes at Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren

Mercedes says turmoil at its rivals has left it less worried about being able to defend its Formula 1 world championship success in the 2015 season.

With Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren all undergoing major restructures in their bids to get back to the front, Mercedes is making the most of staff stability to try to make improvements to its W05.

While not taking it for granted that the opposition will remain behind, leading Mercedes personnel say events elsewhere make things more comfortable at Brackley.

Speaking after picking up the Racing Car of the Year trophy at the AUTOSPORT Awards, Mercedes' chief designer John Owen said: "Our rivals seem to have sacked half their companies - so I think they are in a bit of a difficult situation.

"If they had remained stable and got their heads together, rather than criticising themselves and maybe the sport, I think we would be more worried than we are."

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT
Although the W05 was clear at the front of the field, technology director Geoff Willis says Mercedes is encouraged by the improvements it has pencilled in for next year.

"It is going well - but it is steady progress," he said.

"You have to be humble in this business. Success one year does not guarantee it the next.

"I hope we will be strong, I think we will be strong, just how strong we will have to wait and see.

"But it is reasonably stable regulations between 2014 and 2015, which does give its own challenges. It is harder to find improvements."

Willis does believe, however, that the difficulties Mercedes faced in previous years have been a key factor in making it so strong right now.

"This is a project that started four years ago, if not probably longer than that, and certainly the opportunity to work so closely between the chassis side and the engine side has led to the really dominant performance this year," he said.

"We had quite a tough time in 2011, 2012 and 2013, but we learned a lot from that.

"We learned a lot about working together, we learned a lot about technical problems, and I think that is why 2014 has been such a success."

SUCCESS NOT JUST ENGINE
Although it was widely accepted that the Mercedes was the best engine this year, Willis says the its success was not just down to the power unit.

"Without doubt it has been a very strong engine and that has been the challenge for us - to come up with a very strong chassis," he said.

"It is about the combination. It is not necessarily the best chassis, it is not necessarily the best engine, it is the best combination that will win. And that is the important thing."
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Mercedes handed out communication ban
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117154
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Phil

Wow - that sounds like quite a reaction. Quite impressed with the way they communicated their line, also with the respective team of both drivers.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

SectorOne

more details on when they fiddled with the engine settings which wasn´t allowed.
The incidents Hamilton is referring to in Bahrain and Spain saw both drivers use engine modes banned by the team to give them more power as they battled for victory.

“Barcelona was a period of time – and actually Bahrain before that – discussing the plan going into the season about the engine switches that we were able to use and not able to use, a couple of times in Bahrain the other side of the garage used a couple of the switches you are not allowed to use to enable him to get past,” said Hamilton.

“It was obviously brought up afterwards, less strain was put on it, although it could have changed the result of the race.

“Then when we got to Barcelona a similar thing happened on my side of the garage, but it happened in a moment when we weren’t particularly racing and later the engineers calculated everything and said it wouldn’t have made any difference anyway, but it was still not allowed. So it was really stressed between both drivers that this was not allowed to happen: 'unless we tell you what engine mode to use you cannot change'.

“From then on neither of us changed any of our switches without prior consent from the team.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... -in-monaco
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Moose

So this makes it very clear then. The Mercedes drivers act like a robotic relay from the team in terms of how the engine modes are controlled. The team tells them something, they move the switch, the car does something. Nothing more, nothing less.

It'll be banned next year - the driver has to be in full control of the car, and not told to do by the pits then, but it puts "power gate" to bed. Merc aren't controlling it directly, they're controlling it through strict orders to the driver to control a specific switch on the steering wheel.

Harsha

Moose wrote:So this makes it very clear then. The Mercedes drivers act like a robotic relay from the team in terms of how the engine modes are controlled. The team tells them something, they move the switch, the car does something. Nothing more, nothing less.

It'll be banned next year - the driver has to be in full control of the car, and not told to do by the pits then, but it puts "power gate" to bed. Merc aren't controlling it directly, they're controlling it through strict orders to the driver to control a specific switch on the steering wheel.
I think the Radio restriction rules which are placed between Singapore-Yas is lifted completely for 2015

Richard

Moose wrote:So this makes it very clear then. The Mercedes drivers act like a robotic relay ....
I don't read it like that. To me it says the drive needs to check its OK to switch modes, that is not the same as the driver being instructed. We heard it in the last race when Hamilton was telling his engineer that he wanted to turn down the engine - that's the driver taking the initiative and checking with the team.

Phil

Regarding the possibility that the team do hold the power to control engine mappings from the pit (which would be illegal) - I must say, that I find it still very strange that in Canada, both cars seemed to exhibit the exact same problems at the same time. If anything, logic would dictate that Hamilton, who was closely following Nico for the entirety of his race, would run into mechanical problems first - yet for some reason, Nico's car suddenly started to exhibit the same symptoms at give or take the same moment. In hindsight, it makes me wonder if the pitwall panicked and decided to turn down engine modes for both cars at the same time. If it was relayed to the drivers, wouldn't there need to be some radio calls around that confirm this?

On the other hand; why would the team do this if it is explicitly banned? Also, controlling such crucial settings from the pitwall seems like a dangerous thing to me; imagine if they have some problem and suddenly both their cars go into wrong engine modes on the track? Would be an easy way to find yourself with your pants down at doing something illegal and easily avoidable....
#Team44 supporter