Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
cdsavage

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

The side impact structures will probably be modified before the final release. Here's a STEP file of the current version anyway:
https://www.mediafire.com/?1hocwj41c2u1ofh

Current draft of the rulebook available here:
https://www.mediafire.com/?aixzrox85jgk1y2

We're still aiming to release a finalised version of the rulebook by the end of the year, so if there are any major changes you'd like to see then now is the time to let us know.

CAEdevice

What about K3.4-3.5-3.6? It seems they have been abandoned.

cdsavage

They're still there, I just removed the rule numbers. We will probably end up going with the side impact structure idea rather than the offset rules.

MadMatt

Just one or two more things:

3.1) The shape must be no less than 100mm wide or high. Does that mean it can be for example 100mm wide but 30mm high (and vice-versa), or does it has to be a minimum of 100mm in width AND height?

This is the same with 4.3 and the 50mm wide thing.

Shame for this sidepod rules, it basically ruined my design, but I will do a new one! :)

CAEdevice

I opened the "side impaxct structure" file but I could not understand how to place it into the assembly (it's something like two aero profiles, I am right?).

MadMatt

Yes, one above the other. They are placed like inverted wing (like a plane wing).

CAEdevice

MadMatt wrote:Yes, one above the other. They are placed like inverted wing (like a plane wing).
So 2015 car's will look like Manfred von Richthofen's biplane! :D

MadMatt

Indeed, but it upsets my car design :D I think this is too constraining as it forces you to have a bodywork upper surface that sits quite high, and I've always been of the low profile type (irl as well haha). But that's part of the game, I will change the design! :)

CAEdevice

To be honest I could not image how to place it in the assembly I'm using for some CFD tests (= my 2014 car with covered wheels, bigger diffuser and no front wing). Maybe something like Formula-E?
Last edited by CAEdevice on 16 Dec 2014, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

MadMatt

Pardon the horrible screenshot but you get the idea I think:

astracrazy

MadMatt wrote:Just one or two more things:

3.1) The shape must be no less than 100mm wide or high. Does that mean it can be for example 100mm wide but 30mm high (and vice-versa), or does it has to be a minimum of 100mm in width AND height?

Shame for this sidepod rules, it basically ruined my design, but I will do a new one! :)
the AND/OR i've flagged up with Chris. Your right. If the rule means that the minimum dimensions are 100mm x 100mm then the wording should be AND. If it is meant to mean that is can be 100 x 30 or 30 x 100 then its correct.

This applies to all occasions where minimum dimensions are given using the word or

cdsavage

MadMatt wrote:Just one or two more things:

This means the width cannot be less than 100mm and the height cannot be less than 100mm. I'll re-word this to make this more clear.

CAEdevice wrote:I opened the "side impaxct structure" file but I could not understand how to place it into the assembly (it's something like two aero profiles, I am right?).
CAEdevice wrote:To be honest I could not image how to place it in the assembly I'm using for some CFD tests (= my 2014 car with covered wheels, bigger diffuser and no front wing). Maybe something like Formula-E?
The parts are already in position as supplied in the file, if they are appearing at the origin then this will be an issue with your importer. If this is the case, let me know and I'll see what I can do to work around it. From their supplied position they can be moved according to the limits specified in the rulebook.

MadMatt wrote: Shame for this sidepod rules, it basically ruined my design, but I will do a new one! :)
MadMatt wrote:Indeed, but it upsets my car design :D I think this is too constraining as it forces you to have a bodywork upper surface that sits quite high, and I've always been of the low profile type (irl as well haha). But that's part of the game, I will change the design! :)
Keep in mind that you're allowed to move them rearwards, and the top one up or down, according to the rule in the "Options for sidepod area rules" section. They can be entirely inside the 'sidepod' bodywork, or they can be sitting out in the airstream with a thin 'skin' of bodywork covering them like the Formula E car, or anything in between. As long as they're positioned according to the rules and they're enclosed in bodywork.

Maybe we should add a statement that if the side impact structures aren't enclosed in bodywork, then the impact structures themselves also form part of the bodywork. Given these options I don't think this is too restrictive, but if there are some specific changes you would like to see, then let us know.

One more thing to note: To govern the sidepod area, our intention is to use either the two offset rules, or the side impact structures, not both. We're more likely to go with the side impact structures but we're still open to input on this.

MadMatt

Regarding K3.3b, what is the Surface A you are talking about?

Also I think I found a mistake, in the side pod rule: you wrote "When viewed from the side, there may be no bodywork visible in this area which is more than 300mm offset from the 1000mm maximum width." But there is a part in the wheel wells where the surface is offset more than 300mm from the overall width of 1000mm. The wheel well is sitting at 350mm.

cdsavage

MadMatt wrote:Regarding K3.3b, what is the Surface A you are talking about?
Surface A is made up of whatever bodywork is visible from below on your car, in the area specified.
MadMatt wrote:Also I think I found a mistake, in the side pod rule: you wrote "When viewed from the side, there may be no bodywork visible in this area which is more than 300mm offset from the 1000mm maximum width." But there is a part in the wheel wells where the surface is offset more than 300mm from the overall width of 1000mm. The wheel well is sitting at 350mm.
You're right, if we were going to use this rule we'd need to fix that to exclude the wheel wells. Again, we're probably not going to end up using those two offset rules though.

MadMatt

Ok, thank you! I think these 2 rules will define a lot how the cars will look like, if they are kept (the 2 sidepod rules).