Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
elf341

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

Phil wrote:Regarding the possibility that the team do hold the power to control engine mappings from the pit (which would be illegal) - I must say, that I find it still very strange that in Canada, both cars seemed to exhibit the exact same problems at the same time. If anything, logic would dictate that Hamilton, who was closely following Nico for the entirety of his race, would run into mechanical problems first - yet for some reason, Nico's car suddenly started to exhibit the same symptoms at give or take the same moment. In hindsight, it makes me wonder if the pitwall panicked and decided to turn down engine modes for both cars at the same time. If it was relayed to the drivers, wouldn't there need to be some radio calls around that confirm this?

On the other hand; why would the team do this if it is explicitly banned? Also, controlling such crucial settings from the pitwall seems like a dangerous thing to me; imagine if they have some problem and suddenly both their cars go into wrong engine modes on the track? Would be an easy way to find yourself with your pants down at doing something illegal and easily avoidable....
Very interesting idea, I had not thought of this.
I noticed both cars came into issues around the same lap so I had thought it was some lap or distance-travelled threshold that had passed which had caused a configuration change in the engine. But couple it with the Hamilton's comment in Abu Dhabi it does make me wonder.

It's worth noting, that F1 teams are experts at getting round regulations in particular by taking advantage of the primary-use/secondary-use idea.
One way they could implement PitWall-to-Car engine-switching could be via having a 'heartbeat' packet which is sent every so often to the car to let the car know that the pit wall has received the telemetry data. Then, on the grounds of safety, you could argue that if the car stops receiving heartbeats then it should alter the engine mode, perhaps under the assumption that the new mode is a safer "failback" mode that makes sense if the powerunit engineers are unable to monitor the engine. Primary purpose is safety, secondary purpose obviously gives the pit wall an ability to alter engine mode.

Manoah2u

Ok, here a twisty idea;

what if; you 'work around' that rule,

by having the driver control a knob, which is controlling a computer/setting that connects to the pits? Is it really the pit remotely controlling the car, if the driver makes a link with the pits to adjust car settings?

like this:

Steering wheel switch A:

Setting 1 > Remote line to pit computer with SET-UP A > Information returned to car reciever that controls engine setup
Setting 2 > Remote line to pit computer with SET-UP B > Information returned to car reciever that controls engine setup
Setting 3 > Remote line to pit computer with SET-UP C > Information returned to car reciever that controls engine setup

If the driver is running setting 1, let's say engine at 100% power, and he encounters issues, he then changes to setting 2,
to give him 80 % power, then essentially, the driver still controls what happens to his car

the only difference is, it is not directly sent to the engine IN THE CAR,
but it is wirelessly transferred to a computer at the PITS, which then sends it to the reciever in the car.

essentially being the same actions, the same control, but instead of sending info through a cable to a box in the car,
it's sent to the same box which instead now is located at the pits;

CAR 1:

Steering wheel > cable to information HUB inside car > cable to Engine/Setting computer [all controlled by driver]

CAR 2:

Steering wheel > wireless to information HUB in pits > wireless to Engine/Settin computer [all controlled by driver]

Is there a rule that prevents this from happening?

Because in the case of CAR 2; you MIGHT work around the rules by having a team member fiddling in the HUB located at the pits. The team member doesn't change settings, it only 'works' the hub. The driver himself connects to the hub through his steering wheel.

Are you guys understanding my drift?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Richard

Manoah2u wrote:Are you guys understanding my drift?
Yup, seems like you've been sniffing the mercury suspension.

Pieoter

8.5.2 Pit to car telemetry is prohibited

End of story

You can't send the car a "heartbeat" because that is telemetry, you can't send it maps that require a button to activate

ringo

Shooty81 wrote:I think it is clear that they wanted Hamilton as World Champion. He is almost like a son for Niki Lauda, and for sure they gain more popularity around the globe with LH. From the first day, they preferred LH over NR. Remember the teamorder in Sepang 2013?

The plan for 2014 was to keep it close, but at the end Hamilton should take the win. Can it be coincidence that Rosberg always suffered from technical problems when his points advantage became too big? And what a freak DNF in Singapur...

His ERS failure in the last race was just to make sure the "right" driver takes the WDC. Imagine the uproar if LH had suffered that, with NR winning the race...

That's also another explanation why Toto+Niki were so angry after the Spa incident.
Fernando Alonso wrote:"I love the sport, I love the fans coming here ... but I don't consider F1 anymore a sport."
Nahh, the way how the season has transpired i don't think there is any evidence to suggest that. 11 wins to 5 is too much of a disparity. lewis mechanical issues made it seem like Rosberg was on equal footing, but the win ratio is too great for us to believe the team was scuppering Rosberg to make Hamilton the champion.
For Sure!!

acosmichippo

Additionally, it's not like Hamilton had a completely reliable car. So the argument is not that Rosberg's car was less reliable, but the timing of his mechanical problems happened because his lead was getting too big. Yeah, ok.

One could just as easily say Hamilton's mechanical failures were timed to give Rosberg the early lead and more confidence.

Montyinct

Jock Clear is leaving Mercedes to Ferrari. Wonder why

Morteza

Montyinct wrote:Jock Clear is leaving Mercedes to Ferrari. Wonder why
Yeah! That is odd a bit, but maybe he wants a new environment to work in. I don't know.

Anyone knows what happened to Bob Bell?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mikeerfol

I read somewhere that he (and Marshall as well) refused Ferrari's offer but nothing official.

xpensive

Richard wrote:
Almost forgot about that innovation Richard, time for another round perhaps?

https://abulafiaf1.wordpress.com/tag/anti-dive/
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

jonaliew

Montyinct wrote:Jock Clear is leaving Mercedes to Ferrari. Wonder why
According to BBC, "Mercedes were happy to release Clear as they were unable to offer him a role similar in seniority to his Ferrari position.

Ferrari have also tried to recruit Mercedes' former technical director Bob Bell, who resigned in April and left the team in November.

Bell, 56, had been lined up for a senior role at Ferrari but is said by insiders to have been unable to take it up in the immediate term because of personal issues."

Moose

xpensive wrote:
Richard wrote:
Almost forgot about that innovation Richard, time for another round perhaps?

https://abulafiaf1.files.wordpress.com/ ... .jpg?w=614

https://abulafiaf1.wordpress.com/tag/anti-dive/
Given that interconnecting front and rear suspension got declared to be illegal this year, I very much doubt that we really can seriously have another round of this unfortunately :(

Morteza

Now that we are digging the past, look what I found! You miss this fellow, don't you, X? :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152342115400005
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

thedutchguy

Richard wrote:
Moose wrote:So this makes it very clear then. The Mercedes drivers act like a robotic relay ....
I don't read it like that. To me it says the drive needs to check its OK to switch modes, that is not the same as the driver being instructed. We heard it in the last race when Hamilton was telling his engineer that he wanted to turn down the engine - that's the driver taking the initiative and checking with the team.
He didn't ask them to turn the engine down, he asked / begged them not to turn it up.

Please watch this video with on-board race highlights from 22:15 minutes. https://fiftybuckss.wordpress.com/2014/ ... rand-prix/

This is the exact conversation as it was played on tv:

Engineer: "Lewis you're doing a great job, you've got the pace to win this one. Nico can't be down in eight position with that problem"
LH: "Please don't turn up my car. I'm comfortable. I've got the pace if I need to. Don't turn on the car please".

So he explicitly asks his engineer twice not to turn up/on his car. Which seems strange, because if changing engine modes means that he gets a request over the radio, he could just ignore it right?

astracrazy

it is a bit strange terminology.

I can only guess that the drivers at the moment almost totally give up control of the engine modes (at the moment anyway).

What I think he basically meant was, in your calculations guys for strategy etc dont factor in me turning up the engine. I've got the pace. Don't put me in a situation where i need to turn the engine up for time.

That's how I read it based on the engineer was talking strategy in the first place