Mercedes W05 AMG F1 Petronas - Kids bed

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ThumbsUp

Mercedes W05 AMG F1 Petronas - Kids bed

Hello Guys,
I'm a not so long member but a long time lurker.. As of many of you I'm a formula 1 fan! My son also likes racing cars so I thought lets get him a Formula 1 bed. But I don't like the flat looking beds. So I started drawing a F1 bed with a matress and kind of the same proportions as an F1 car has.

These are my drawings:
First sketch

Detail scaled sketch:

After my drawings I found some used go-kart wheels on the internet and bought some wood and started drawing all the panels out on the wood. After drawing it all out of course I started cutting them out nicely as I draw all on scale.

Then I started building it bit by bit and this is where I'm at at the moment.

I found the frontwing a bit difficult to build but this is how it looks like:

Diffusor:

Last couple of photo's:

I'm still working on the front suspension. And I still have to sand it and make the edges childproof! There is also a RGB Led light for underneath the floor so there is a nightlight build in aswell. Offcorse it's going to have a paint job and sponsor stickers and a final transparent coating to make it last longer.

I hope you guys like it.
Cheers,

Jarno

Seas

Re: Mercedes W05 AMG F1 Petronas - Kids bed

Great work Thumbs.
Can you make one for me?!
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/index.html
Croatia, the small country for big relax

xpensive

Good Lord, with real drawings at that, there is still hope for mankind!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

DarkJRO

great work! keep us updated please =)
Greetings
Dark JRO

Mesteño

Old school drawing, ala Newey :D good job and keep updating!

Bomber_Pilot

Keep up the good work! :)

mep

WOW, so there are still F1 fans out there – impressive
Reminds me a bit of Laudas 312T.

turbof1

Very nice job. Recreating the mercedes frontwing sculpting would be near impossible due 3 dimensional twisting. The wing you made is a very good effort still given the complexity. You could try to cut out the back end of the endplate to have a flattened representation of the real one. as long as it's safe of course for the child. The endplate they used in testing and first races might however be doable to recreate. Up to you of course if you want to go that extra mile!

I'm assuming you'll use the sidepods as storage compartments?
#AeroFrodo

ThumbsUp

Hi guys,
Happy new year to all of you! And thanks for the reactions. Great to see you guys like it.

@Seas: I would love to build one for you but I guess I don't have any room over to build one for you. And where does it has to be delivered?

@TurboF1: I think I can make it look better with the paint job. The wood looks pretty flat on the photo's and have no debt. So I'm going for the optical illusion with the paint job. I think that will do for this kids bed. I wish I thought about storage compartments in the sidepods before I started to build. I guess I was blinded by all the details I wanted to put in.. :oops:

I haven't done much lately due to the holidays, friends visiting and working.. So I only have a small update on the bed. I have flipped over the bed to put the RGB Led light underneath the floor and this is how it came out:
(side note: I stick the Led light on it when I finish the paint job)

ImageImage

So after this I still have to finish the: front suspension, sanding, painting, decals, coating, put the mattress in and try to get my kid to sleep in it! 8)

And for the paint job I'm thinking to wait out the W06 color-scheme I heard they wanted to chrome it.. What do you guys think? Stay with the W05 or go for the W06?
Thanks,

Jarno

EDIT: Changed the link of the images
Last edited by ThumbsUp on 27 Jan 2015, 19:18, edited 2 times in total.

bdr529

ThumbsUp wrote:
And for the paint job I'm thinking to wait out the W06 color-scheme I heard they wanted to chrome it.. What do you guys think? Stay with the W05 or go for the W06?
Thanks,
Jarno
I would wait to see what the new car will look like, and if you can painted it like the W06
I don't know how many years he'll want to sleep in a race car bed, but at lest it will look the same as the one on tv while he's still young enough

Great job Jarno

Blanchimont

Nice, but don't forget to add an alarm clock that plays the best F1 engine sounds( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHzl1xizwe0 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SoZiTxdQyw ) and reminds your kid of the good old days.

One thing is clear, Charlie Whiting will not allow your kid to sleep in this as long as the engine cover isn't equipped with some Kantenschutz! Article 2.3 clearly states

"2.3 Dangerous construction :
The stewards of the meeting may exclude a vehicle whose construction is deemed to be dangerous."

And if one day you want to change the design of the sidepods, see how canoes are made( http://building-strip-planked-boats.com ... ymph-canoe ). Define some cross sections and then add thin planks.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

ThumbsUp

@bdr539: I guess it is worth waiting for the W06 in a few weeks we will know, I still can go on with sanding and putting on the ground layer of paint on it..

@Blanchimont: That is a very good tip, I was actually thinking of creating a polyester version of it to. So thank you very much for the canoe tip! And you gave me another good idea with the alarm clock. Now I'm thinking of getting an LCD alarm clock and fit it into the steering wheel. So the clock is the dash of it. 8) I was first thinking of putting the remote of the led light into it. But an alarm clock is a better idea, maybe both hmmm... To be continued...

Cheers

turbof1

ThumbsUp wrote:Hi guys,
Happy new year to all of you! And thanks for the reactions. Great to see you guys like it.

@Seas: I would love to build one for you but I guess I don't have any room over to build one for you. And where does it has to be delivered?

@TurboF1: I think I can make it look better with the paint job. The wood looks pretty flat on the photo's and have no debt. So I'm going for the optical illusion with the paint job. I think that will do for this kids bed. I wish I thought about storage compartments in the sidepods before I started to build. I guess I was blinded by all the details I wanted to put in.. :oops:

I haven't done much lately due to the holidays, friends visiting and working.. So I only have a small update on the bed. I have flipped over the bed to put the RGB Led light underneath the floor and this is how it came out:
(side note: I stick the Led light on it when I finish the paint job)

http://aalderinglizzy.nl/images/IMG_5731.jpg
http://aalderinglizzy.nl/images/IMG_5732.jpg
http://aalderinglizzy.nl/images/IMG_5739.jpg
http://aalderinglizzy.nl/images/IMG_5737.jpg
http://aalderinglizzy.nl/images/IMG_5738.jpg

So after this I still have to finish the: front suspension, sanding, painting, decals, coating, put the mattress in and try to get my kid to sleep in it! 8)

Thanks,

Jarno
Definitely play around with shading.

How awesome would it be to install a logitec steering wheel in it, have a big screen with gaming console in front of it on the wall and play a simulator game right from your bed :P.
#AeroFrodo

bill shoe

Dude, you are an awesome father!

foxivan

impressive work, your kid is really lucky! =D>